upndownshop

New Device ParaNav

Do I even ask what the price tag is on this little jewel?

Dont know, but here is the original email he sent to me.

U.S. Marines select Rockwell Collins ParaNav™
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (February 11, 2008) -
The U.S. Marine Corps has selected Rockwell Collins to provide more than 3,000 ParaNav™ units, a helmet-mounted navigation system for parachutists.
ParaNav is a personal, GPS-based, flight management system with an integrated head-up display. It provides parachutists with accurate navigation capabilities and enhanced situational awareness, allowing them to fly to their designated landing zones. The system also allows the parachutist to divert to alternate sites with the same level of accuracy.
"This contract significantly advances the capabilities of the Marines," said Bruce King, vice president and general manager of Surface Solutions for Rockwell Collins. "ParaNav enhances the navigational abilities of each individual parachutist, while at the same time maintaining their ability to efficiently exit the aircraft and function under the canopy."
ParaNav is the industry's first production helmet-mounted navigation system designed specifically for parachutist guidance. The system consists of a lightweight battery-operated GPS pod that connects to a parachutist's helmet. An integrated, full-color display attaches directly to goggles or helmet shields. The unit contains an 802.11 WiFi interface for Joint Precision Airdrop System data connectivity and custom circuitry allows for dead reckoning calculations in the event of a GPS lock failure.
The total system weighs just 0.9 kilograms and has an advanced, full-color display that attaches directly to goggles or shields, providing the parachutist with multiple navigation screens and data that includes altitude, ground speed, distance to landing zone, heading to landing zone, estimated time of arrival and a glide slope incorporating wind drift.
Rockwell Collins (NYSE: COL) is a pioneer in the development and deployment of innovative communication and aviation electronics solutions for both commercial and government applications. Our expertise in flight deck avionics, cabin electronics, mission communications, information management and simulation and training is delivered by 20,000 employees, and a global service and support network that crosses 27 countries. To find out more, please visit www.rockwellcollins.com.

My brother works for this company and sent me this link. Pretty cool.

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/news/page9505.html

Well, it's official. Skydiving is dead. We used to have a technique to do what this devise does.

It was called spotting.:|

:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My brother works for this company and sent me this link. Pretty cool.

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/news/page9505.html

Well, it's official. Skydiving is dead. We used to have a technique to do what this devise does.

It was called spotting.:|

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it seems to me that the ability of people to spot has declined in almost exact proportion to the increasing number of turbine aircraft. I wonder how many Cessna DZ's there are today compared to 10 or 15 years ago.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

It was called spotting.

Not really, have you ever tried to spot on a moonless night from 30K+ with heavy cloud cover from several miles away from the landing area?
apart from the alittude we call that a night jump:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It was called spotting.

Not really, have you ever tried to spot on a moonless night from 30K+ with heavy cloud cover from several miles away from the landing area?

NOW I get it...it's a seeing eye dog! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I had to revive this thread !!!!!

1) What's the big fuzz about mounting a Wii on top of a helmet?
2) Do marines REALLY need 3,000 of them?
3) How many Starbucks Wifi hotspots am I supposed to expect in the battlefield?
4) "maintaining the ability their ability to efficiently exit the aircraft?"
5) The HELMET is NOT included?
6) Runs on WINDOWS CE? Can you say "BLUE SKIES"?

Just my $0.02
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I would probbly agree with you more (not that I really dont already) but my brother works for one of the companies that builds the Nav systems for the gov. Even as an engineer who designs or tests the contracted products, his company announced 300-400 layoffs in his department a month ago. So for now I can only say order more....:S

I would probbly agree with you more (not that I really dont already) but my brother works for one of the companies that builds the Nav systems for the gov. Even as an engineer who designs or tests the contracted products, his company announced 300-400 layoffs in his department a month ago. So for now I can only say order more....:S

Well, can you attach these devices to shoes for better "target acquistion"?
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I always get a kick how this topic seems to pop up every now and then on DZ.com. I have been involved with the development of this device since it was a Gen 1 item over a year and a half ago. The current Gen 2 model is pretty good,its a useful piece of kit but it still has a few things to be worked out before the Army will buy them if at all.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING