ollyaylott

Best AFF course in NZ?

Hey guys,

Ive just arrived in NZ and want to book my AFF course. The weather is great at the mo, so want to make most of it as its winter. Can anyone recommend a dropzone? Abel Tasman seems good as does the one at Methven, and similar prices. More expensive in Taupo for AFF and extortionate in Queenstown with nzone? I would have preferred to do it in/near QT just for the nightlife etc when not jumping but cant find any alternatives to nzone?

Also I'm on a tightish timeframe, is it easy to just do the 9 jumps and do consolidations to reach A license at a later point if needed?

Thanks!

I split my AFF course between Methven and Abel Tasman. Honestly, I cant say a bad word about either place. Abel Tasman host the famous Good Vibes boogie every year which is sick, and tend to have better luck with weather compared to Methven. Both teams are amazing people and both will get you through AFF efficiently and safely. Saying that, Ive never travelled to the other dropzones.

If you end up at Methven, I'll see you there :)

Since I posted that's exactly the idea I had. I thought I might do the 9 jumps in Abel Tasman then most of of the consolidation in Methven - always good to get a change of scenery!

They didnt have any issues with changing between the two for you then? How exactly did you split it? I heard that Methven run paraNZ license which is not recognised as well in uk for example?

How long are you there for? It might have to be the end of my trip in a month or so...

The politics here are 'interesting'. I think the best option is to go with an NZPIA DZ as this organisation has the best 'street cred' and will make it easier to crossover your jumps with any organisation overseas.
Good luck in your quest.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Yeah man I chose not to think about the politics of it all as it all sounded pretty messy and I just wanted to jump out of a plane. I did level 1-3 in Methven then started talking to the crew at Abel Tasman and they invited me up for a few jumps. Did level 4-6 there. Came back to Methven, did the remainder of AFF and consoles. Ive since been back to Abel Tasman once for a mini boogie where i got a few more jumps in.

Edited to add: Splitting wasnt a problem as long as my log book was up to date and signed.

But sounds like you may want to look closer at the politics of it all if your planning on jumping back overseas.

Either way - hope to run into you at some point:)