SixtySecRush

Sabre2/Safire2/Pilot

The pilot is a little more docile than a sabre2/safire2. The pilot will recover from a turn/dive more quickly. Sabre2 has more flare in the beginning of the stroke then the pilot. They both land pretty easily I think.

There are lots of threads/reviews between these chutes...try a search and you will find what you're looking for..

>How does the pilot perform at heavier loadings (1.4 ish) compared to
>the sabre2?

I have a 117 that I load at about 1.7; that one can be swooped but you have to do it fairly low (short arc.) I jumped a Pilot 140 in Thailand a few years ago at about 1.4. It was fairly well-behaved at that loading. Front riser pressure was pretty high, but again nice openings and good flare. Not much of a swooper at that loading, but then with all those people in the air I wasn't swooping anyway.

I have no expeirience with the Pilot.

The Safire2 has a slightly "lower" flare point than the Sabre2 but I think it has more power and a better bottom end. The openings are softer and more consistent. I think the Safire2 has better glide and better slow speed flight. I like the Safire2 because you can get it lined with vectran. I prefer my canopies to be in trim after 200 jumps, but thats just meB|

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

The Safire2 has a slightly "lower" flare point than the Sabre2 but I think it has more power and a better bottom end. The openings are softer and more consistent. I think the Safire2 has better glide and better slow speed flight. I like the Safire2 because you can get it lined with vectran. I prefer my canopies to be in trim after 200 jumps, but thats just meB|

How did the Safire compare to the Sabre in toggle pressure and turn rate?

Sabre2 has a slightly longer recovery arc.

Pilot has slightly better openings and is a bit more docile at light loadings.

I haven't jumped a Pilot at a light wingloading but Iv've got 400 jumps on my 140s loaded at a little over 1.9:1. They are fun canopies.. they don't spin up, I can get a pretty nice swoop on, they have enough flare to land straight in, they get me back from long spots, overall just a good solid canopy. Sunday I was a little too long and flat turned 180° back into the wind from 300 feet AGL and still had room to let it fly before flaring.

I highly recommend these canopies to anyone looking for a great all-around canopy.
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

>They are fun canopies.. they don't spin up, I can get a pretty nice
> swoop on, they have enough flare to land straight in, they get me
> back from long spots, overall just a good solid canopy.

Agree with all the above. However, I did want to point out that for people learning to swoop, it is often a better idea to get an intermediate swooping canopy (like a Nitro) because it's arc is a lot longer, and IMO it's safer to learn to swoop on a canopy like that because of the higher altitude you set up at. Doesn't mean the pilot can't be swooped well, but I think it's safer to learn on a longer-arc canopy.

I think the Safire2 had lighter toggle pressure but a slightly slower turn rate for the same amount of input. I prefer that trade off in order to get a bigger control range. I dont fly with the toggles that much.

Did I mention that the Safire2 is guaranteed fro 31 days ?:);)

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I've flown both Sabre 2's and Safire 2's at a 1.2 WL. and the comments above are spot on. In regards to your questions, the Sabre 2 had significantly lighter toggle and riser pressure and a fair bit longer recovery arc, but, IMO, a lesser turn rate. The Sabre 2 is also, IMO, a lot easier to spin up. My openings on my Safire 2 are ultra soft but the canopy wants to do a lazy spiral during the snivel. Not a major issue as harness shifting counters it, and it may very well be a result of the mods done to mine and not a feature common to stock Safire 2's.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I've flown both Sabre 2's and Safire 2's at a 1.2 WL. and the comments above are spot on. In regards to your questions, the Sabre 2 had significantly lighter toggle and riser pressure and a fair bit longer recovery arc, but, IMO, a lesser turn rate. The Sabre 2 is also, IMO, a lot easier to spin up. My openings on my Safire 2 are ultra soft but the canopy wants to do a lazy spiral during the snivel. Not a major issue as harness shifting counters it, and it may very well be a result of the mods done to mine and not a feature common to stock Safire 2's.

-Blind

Thanks for the info, it's exactly what I've been looking for.

I absolutely loved the way the Sabre2 landed, but it felt sluggish in turns. I'm going to give the Firebolt a try here in a few weeks, and if it doesn't land as well as the Sabre2 I'll probably just have to call PD and order one. :)

It's not the canopy, it's the pilot, that is responsible for how well a canopy lands and it is up to the pilot to figure out where the "sweet spot" is and the speed and duration of flare. Don't blame the canopy... :P;)

If you want sporty turns, make a couple hundred more jumps then buy a Stiletto. ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

It's not the canopy, it's the pilot, that is responsible for how well a canopy lands and it is up to the pilot to figure out where the "sweet spot" is and the speed and duration of flare. Don't blame the canopy... :P;)

I'm not "blaming the canopy" for anything. ;) I haven't had any trouble landing anything I've flown lately, I just think the Sabre2 was more fun to land than anything I've flown so far.;)

If you want sporty turns, make a couple hundred more jumps then buy a Stiletto. ;)

If I want sporty turns, I'm going to try to find a canopy of the same size (a 230) with more sporty turns that I won't kill myself under. I'm not going to go spend $1500+ on a canopy that I'm not completely happy with. ;):)
Nooo Stiletto...! B|