No_Phear

How did you progress from wuffo to Skydiver?

A group I am part of does a group static-line class once a year. I missed the first year, and got in on the second year. Then they changed the date so I couldn't be part of the group. So I said "to hell with it" and went the next weekend by myself (and had another from our bunch who couldn't make the previous weekend). Couldn't jump on Saturday due to winds, went back the next day, and had three others from the group that came back to jump again. I was hooked from the first jump, did the secon one that day and have been at it ever since. Only one other guy and I went on to get our licenses.
We still do the big class once a year, and its my favorite day of the year.

BTW, why is this in SC? I would think Bonfire or General would be more appropriate.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

So I am just interested to know how different people became skydivers, and why you may have chosen your particular path to licensing.

I didn't know if skydiving was going to be enough fun to was a full 2% of the year's weekends on ground school and an AFF jump so I did a tandem.

After deciding it was fun enough and waiting for the local DZ to open I finished AFF in three weeks.

Hi NP,
You either want to fly or you don't. "Flight" has many modes. Skydiving is just one of them. Dig around and find "A moment of Immortality" a small piece written by a famous aviator and you will know.

I've always been attracted to "flight," skydiving was just one way to fly.

Did you find the writing, who wrote it??
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

living in Hawaii, my buddy and I were headed up to the North Shore for some breakfast and then to surf and he asked, "Hey, wanna go skydiving?" I said yes with out thinkiing, did a tandem and the rest was history. Did another "for fun" tandem the following week and then signed up for the AFF course(only $1,200 for the whole thing at Skydive Hawaii). Three instructional tandems and 5 solos. Best decision of my life. I love jumping more than anything and skydivers are among the best people on this planet!!
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

Static line '77.

I'm STILL pissed at my brother for talking me into jumping out of a somewhat perfectly-good airplane. Had it not been for him, I would be living in a mansion right now.

>:([:/]:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

i went with static line because it cost almost half of what aff did. i would have preferred to do aff though at the time. in retrospect, i'm glad i went with static line because of the focus on canopy skills. and because its old school and anything old school is neato.

this is going to sound stupid but what does wuffo mean?

A work mate in 1981 suggested we give the weekend jump course at Pakenham a go. I got the shakes even thinking about it

Have only done 44 jumps since 940 on round canopies) over 28 years in different stages but its one of the best things I have done. Still struggle with the safety aspects.. so many things can go wrong that can kill you Mals/low turns/canopy collisions/ reserve get wrapped around tail of plane/ mid air collisions/ etc etc. But I am happy with myself for overcoming that fear and have done 44 wonderful jumps. Prob will not jump again but very glad I did it and will still keep interested in reading about the sport. Who knows may do AFF one day.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??