Yoshi

bored...so here is a story

true story: When I was in college a frind and I backpacked europe for a few months... about half way through the trip we were in Venice Italy. We changed our money in each country and had a designated amount of money we changed in each country to spend, and whenit cam to the last day I had a TON of lire left.. (pre-euro). so I thought what a better thing to do than go to an authentic winery and get a fantastic bottle of wine to share over a home cooked meal (which we did often on little burners for camping). So with the language barrier I was able to get the point across that I wanted a nice full bodied merlot to the guy and I bought a bottle of wine for about $140.00 USD. I figured..go big or go home.. and I wasnt about to go home yet :). so my buddy and I are walking all over venice..up and down stairs..over waterways and we were passing the bag back and forth that contained our sweet bounty. We had like 70 lbs back packs and a bunch of food to go with the wine so we took turns carrying it.

we decided it was about time to head to the train station so we could cook up an awesom meal and drink our wine... casey (my friend) reached out as I was handing him the bottle of wine as we were walking over a step bridge and it happened... in slow motion I could see the bottle slip form my hand as he reached for it, but with no chance of grasping it... the bottle seemed to float down to the concrete steps as the glass shattered with an earthquake ripping through our very souls. It was as if a crimson waterfall consumed those steps as we watched our velvet nectar spread across the ground. Our hearts fell to the floor as our bodies soon followed and we sat on the steps staring at the marvel we created.

Just then the "classic" italian man...with tight stone washed jeans, white button up shirt with the top buttons undone to show his chest hair and a gold chain drooping across his neck came walking around the corner.

He had a saunter to his gate that showed confidence and that he could not have had a care in the world. As he approached the steps he saw the massacred bottle that we had recently slain. not a word came out of his mouth, rather he took one knee at the bottom of the steps and crimson waterfall to ever so gracefully dip one finger into the pool of wine and touch it to his tongue.

he then lowered his sunglasses and looked us straight in the eyes...put his forefinger to his thumb and let out and "ooohhhhh"

as quickly as he showed his dispair for the disaster we caused he wlked up the steps and disappeared over the horizon.

It was that moment that the reality of just how good that wine was struck us even deeper.

I love that story and I can see very moment in slow motion. Just thought I would share.:S:P

true story: When I was in college a frind and I backpacked europe for a few months... about half way through the trip we were in Venice Italy. We changed our money in each country and had a designated amount of money we changed in each country to spend, and whenit cam to the last day I had a TON of lire left.. (pre-euro). so I thought what a better thing to do than go to an authentic winery and get a fantastic bottle of wine to share over a home cooked meal (which we did often on little burners for camping). So with the language barrier I was able to get the point across that I wanted a nice full bodied merlot to the guy and I bought a bottle of wine for about $140.00 USD. I figured..go big or go home.. and I wasnt about to go home yet :). so my buddy and I are walking all over venice..up and down stairs..over waterways and we were passing the bag back and forth that contained our sweet bounty. We had like 70 lbs back packs and a bunch of food to go with the wine so we took turns carrying it.

we decided it was about time to head to the train station so we could cook up an awesom meal and drink our wine... casey (my friend) reached out as I was handing him the bottle of wine as we were walking over a step bridge and it happened... in slow motion I could see the bottle slip form my hand as he reached for it, but with no chance of grasping it... the bottle seemed to float down to the concrete steps as the glass shattered with an earthquake ripping through our very souls. It was as if a crimson waterfall consumed those steps as we watched our velvet nectar spread across the ground. Our hearts fell to the floor as our bodies soon followed and we sat on the steps staring at the marvel we created.

Just then the "classic" italian man...with tight stone washed jeans, white button up shirt with the top buttons undone to show his chest hair and a gold chain drooping across his neck came walking around the corner.

He had a saunter to his gate that showed confidence and that he could not have had a care in the world. As he approached the steps he saw the massacred bottle that we had recently slain. not a word came out of his mouth, rather he took one knee at the bottom of the steps and crimson waterfall to ever so gracefully dip one finger into the pool of wine and touch it to his tongue.

he then lowered his sunglasses and looked us straight in the eyes...put his forefinger to his thumb and let out and "ooohhhhh"

as quickly as he showed his dispair for the disaster we caused he wlked up the steps and disappeared over the horizon.

It was that moment that the reality of just how good that wine was struck us even deeper.

I love that story and I can see very moment in slow motion. Just thought I would share.:S:P

A quick visual evaluation of the post: too long to read ... edit it !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Bullshit. It was a cool story.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I believe you ! Time to take that ADHD pill again !

Oooooh look, A PUPPY! :P:P
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Oooooh look, A PUPPY! :P:P

Where?

:ph34r:

:D:D:D

Years ago I was skiing the Italian Alps...bottle of dago-lands finest barely affordable red in the backpack.

Zigged when the trail Zagged and and did a no rig B.A.S.E jump...subconsciously PLF-ing ~ saved my ass but the 6th point of contact was the vino.

I'm laying in a crumpled heap, bright red snow beneath me as the ski patrol guy zooms up.

Asked if I was bleeding I answered No, it's wine...

Must have been the same guy!

...he lowered his sunglasses, scooped & tasted a 'San Giovese' snow-cone...shook his head & mumbled something about a wasteful idiot...and disappeared into the sunset.:S:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

yoshi, it sounds like you spent $140.00 on a good story. and that will last much longer than the memory of the wine's flavor would have. nicely written too.

and airtwardo's story is equally worth the wasted lire, with a wittily economical use of style in the telling.

honestly though, did these things actually happen to you guys?

yoshi, it sounds like you spent $140.00 on a good story. and that will last much longer than the memory of the wine's flavor would have. nicely written too.

and airtwardo's story is equally worth the wasted lire, with a wittily economical use of style in the telling.

honestly though, did these things actually happen to you guys?

It's the Internet... does it matter? :P:P:P:P

Here's one of mine that I sent out to my email friends.

So for the next childhood/non skydiving story we'll go with setting the timing on my Trans Am because it's funny, short, and I can remember it well.
It's winter, late February or early march, somewhere in the low thirties, just barely above freezing. I need to set the timing on my Trans Am, it's a hot rod, it requires constant attention, but I still love it. To adjust the timing you loosen the clamp that holds it in place and twist it by hand. You use a strobe light to see marks on the engine to check it. The ignition system on my car put out around 60,000 volts, it's enough to get your attention but not kill you, not enough amperage (power) to kill. In order to reach the distributor on my T/A I had to reach through the hood hinge. With my arm through the hinge up to my shoulder I could just reach far enough to turn the distributor. This process is done with the car running and at normal operating temperature, so I had let the car run for about 20 minutes to get warm. Keep in mind that it's 30ish degrees out so I have my winter coat on, and the driveway is covered with thick ice. Well I went to turn the distributor and the coil wire came off and landed on my hand. So here I am getting shocked but the car is still running because the high power coil is able to jump the gap. My natural reaction was to jerk my hand away. Guess what, with my winter coat on I couldn't get my arm back out of the hood hinge, but I did manage to hit my funny bone. And remember the ice coated driveway? Well when I had the car running the exhaust had melted some of it so I was standing in a puddle of water on the ice. After hitting my funny bone I slipped on the ice, still stuck in the hinge, and fell on my right knee. My chin hit the fender, of course making me bite my tongue. Since my chin was now the path of least resistance it grounded out the ignition and finally stopped the engine. Now I've got an electrical burn mark by my thumb, hurt my funny bone, bit my tongue, oh and remember my knee, well I found out I couldn't stand on it after I tried, and fell a second time. I say I dislocated it but I don't know what actually happened. If I tried to stand with it bent at all it would immediately collapse, so the only way to stand was to keep it locked back straight. So now I'm seriously hurt and would love to sit and cry for a while but can't until I limp back to the house. I'm sure it would've made the yearend video, or America's funniest videos. Last but certainly not least, when the ignition grounded out with my chin it gave me home electrolysis so I can never forget the wonderful experience. I have a spot on my chin that hasn't grown hair since.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Great stories! If I ever go to Europe and buy wine, I will either (a) only buy cheap wine or (b) drink it right away! No carrying it around.

And gearless_chris, I know it sounds contradictory, but I was feeling sorry for you even as I was laughing my ass off at your freak accident.

Here's a weird and absolutely true thing. There was a woman on the east side of Kansas City who opened her home to a number of large crocodiles that were “rescued” from presumably less fortunate circumstances. She may still be there.

I knew her only as “Miss Pat.” I've been to her place. The entire first floor, basement, and back yard were dedicated living quarters for about thirty crocodiles and a number of other animals, including some exotic species of chicken with frilly black plumage on its head.

Also, extending outward from the first-floor windows were long mesh cages supported at their exterior ends by wooden stilts. These housed mostly rodents. She had a few small alligators residing with her, as well. Caymans, I believe they are called.

Now bear in mind that all of this was right in the inner city. It was like a secret zoo in the hood.

I think what freaked me out the most were the cages Miss Pat had constructed for her crocodiles. They were all made of plastic wading pools, chicken wire, and brightly painted children’s bedroom furniture.
Gato's kitten