L600DAN

Laying up gear..

Hey everyone

It's a sad time when you face the fact that you haven't jumped for nearly two years and due to other (less fun) stuff taking a temporary precedence in your life, I feel it is time to do something about my gear which has just sat ununsed for too long.

Don't worry, I'm not selling it - couldn't possibly. BUT I would like some advice if any of you fantastic and lucky fellow jumpers would be kind enough to offer some..

Basically, what is the *best* way to preserve your container, canopy, etc. It's currently packed and ready to go although the reserve needs repacking and the Cypress probably needs new batteries.

I've been wondering about cleaning the container. Any advice on this? If people reckon that it's best to leave the canopies packed in the container, I'll wait and clean the container later.

Let us knows

Blue skies everyone. I'll be up there before you know it ;)X

Deploy both main and reserve, put them loosely into a kit bag or other suitable container and store them in a cool, dark, DRY place. Don't know about the Cypres batteries...but I can't see where it would hurt to remove them. DO NOT store them in the same bag/box/whatever as the rig.

Good advice but I'd sell the Cypres. Every day you have it in your closet it losing value that it will never get back and its getting another day closer to retirement. Sell it before it expires and pocket the cash to buy another used one when you return to the sport.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I agree. Sell the cypres. There are a lot of jumpers not using a cypres simply because they cannot afford to buy a new one.

You can get a very fair price for it and it won't depreciate any further. Plus you'll feel good knowing your gave another jumper a chance at jumping with a backup device.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Thanks for all these suggestions. Will defo get these things sorted. Any recommendations on washing a container?

....Someone once suggested washing in a luke warm bathtub with a very mild laundry detergent.

Whatdya all reckon?

http://www.relativeworkshop.com/rigging_wash.html

Works great !

Ah yes! That was the very same advice I was told some time ago.

Woolite is not easy to come by in the UK, so I have had to import some from the US at great expense. Am quite sure that I could have found an alternative product over here, but I thought it best to be sure.

With regard to the Cypres, It's a lovely idea to sell it to help out a jumper who wants one but can't afford a new one, but I feel that if I do this, I will be prohibiting myself from making an easy (or low cost) entry back into the sport (a Cypres appears to cost more here in the UK).

Certainly, if it gets to be another year or so and I still haven't made a jump, I'll be selling it...

Thanks for everyones advice on this. You've all be a true reflection of the friendly and helpful nature that skydivers are renown for.

I agree. Sell the cypres. There are a lot of jumpers not using a cypres simply because they cannot afford to buy a new one.

You can get a very fair price for it and it won't depreciate any further. Plus you'll feel good knowing your gave another jumper a chance at jumping with a backup device.

Ditto...since I could be one of those jumpers looking for a used CYPRES in a few months.