boomerang

Questions about AFF with no experience

Hey guys... I finally have enough money to actually plop down enough cash for AFF training start to finish. I have been around aviation my whole life and I know getting the USPA license is something I would be extremely interested in. However, I have never jumped before. Since I consider myself dedicated to accomplishing this goal, I would prefer to not spend any money doing any tandem jumps. I guess what I'm asking is it practical to start AFF at level 1 without having jumped before?

Yes, most drop zones will let you start right off in AFF. If you are an accomplished pilot, I'd give it a go, but if you have just "been around" aviation, I'd suggest a single learning tandem. Make sure the DZ knows you are serious, and spend time on body position and especially canopy control/navigation. It can really help, but it's not essential.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

controller? are you saying you are an air traffic controller? where at?

anyhow. my first jump EVER was an AFF jump. I never did tandem and just jumped in feet first so to speak. It was a blast and i'd recommend going that route ;)

AFF is designed for "first time jumpers." Ted Strong got the first patent on tandem equipment in 1987, but AFF started much earlier. Skip the tandem and just go straight to AFF Level One.

Learning to skydive in tandem is like learning to drive while sitting on your father's lap when you were eight years old . . .

NickD :)

Regardless of what route you go, your tandem can be counted towards one of your 25 jumps for your A-license. So it's not a complete waste, and makes it easier to focus on your skills since you know what freefall feels like when you start your AFF.

Having just started my process, that's my experience with it. When I did my AFF level 1 jump I knew what the feeling would be like.

Shane

AFF was desgined for first time students. As much as a tandem gets you over some of the butterfly feelings, it also builds bad habbits that your AFF Instructor will have to work around. To those that are not sure and are a bit squimish a tandem is recomended, other wise I discourage a tandem at all.

I can't remember the exact wording, but when I first started it was put to me something like this:

If you are a person who reacts quickly and can make correct decisions under stress in a timely manner, then you are likely going to be fine starting with AFF. If you are generally not fast to react, or are the type to get flustered for even a little while when in a tight spot, then it's probably best to start with the tandem progression.

I went straight to AFF and was fine, but I recognize that it's not the best route for everyone. I think you have to be able to either do a realistic evaluation of yourself, or get someone who knows you well to help with it to make the determination via this method. As stated by others, you are throwing yourself into what amounts to a foreign environment, which tends to have different effects on different types of people.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

straight to AFF is fine for most

as far as learning something useful prior to AFF, I'd recommend tunnel time over a tandem

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Personally, I would always suggest at least doing one tandem before AFF. It isn't illogical to start off with AFF, but in the long run, I think a tandem would help a great deal. It eases you into the world of skydiving, and gives you an idea of what being in the air feels like. Also, it's very easy to get sensory overload your first time, so doing a tandem can help reduce that.

It isn't illogical to start off with AFF...

Why not? Please, explain. Is it also not logical to start with a Static Line? Why?

Either method(s) are tried, true perfectly VALID FIRST JUMP progression methods. I would actually argue the Opposite, and offer up instead that for someone who already knows they are SERIOUS about actually pursuing the sport right from the get-go especially - that it is Tandem instead, that is entirely ILLogical.

Tandem can be done with (relatively) little "training" at all, and sure - might "acclimate" and innoculate SOME to the potential shock of sensory overload - but for the most part (yes, with EXCEPTIONS - those with an actual "teaching" tandem program) is really nothing more than a veritable "carnival ride". A way for those who may just have skydiving on their "bucket list" - to get that checked off, without having to invest much time and attention towards, then move on. Before I am flamed for that - remember I did say there were (and ARE) exceptions!

AFF (and Static Line or even IAD for that matter) on the other hand - provide CONSISTENTLY however - an actual TEACHING, FIRST JUMP COURSE. Not, necessarily required at all, in order "to just do" a tandem.

I submit that "Logic" therefore supports in this case - absolutely NO NEED for a tandem, and straight to a FULLY INSTRUCTIONAL based FIRST JUMP COURSE (notice the emphasis on what it is even called! ;)), such as AFF, is in fact - Please - absolutely PERFECTLY acceptable!

After all - and as others have mentioned - that is precisely what the entire program was designed for in the very 1st place!

Personally - I have never done a tandem, from either "side of the equation", and don't ever plan to either.

Just another .02

Blue Skies & GO FOR IT, Boomerang! Come back and let us know as well, how you did. Welcome to "our" skies!! B|

-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

>>I'm super pumped now.
Very cool, Bro! On that first one focus on altitude awareness. I could teach anyone to fly easily enough as long as they had an eye for the clock.

Enjoy! The beginning is the best, the rest is just practice . . .

NickD :)

It isn't illogical to start off with AFF...

Why not? Please, explain. Is it also not logical to start with a Static Line? Why?

Either method(s) are tried, true perfectly VALID FIRST JUMP progression methods. I would actually argue the Opposite, and offer up instead that for someone who already knows they are SERIOUS about actually pursuing the sport right from the get-go especially - that it is Tandem instead, that is entirely ILLogical.

Tandem can be done with (relatively) little "training" at all, and sure - might "acclimate" and innoculate SOME to the potential shock of sensory overload - but for the most part (yes, with EXCEPTIONS - those with an actual "teaching" tandem program) is really nothing more than a veritable "carnival ride". A way for those who may just have skydiving on their "bucket list" - to get that checked off, without having to invest much time and attention towards, then move on. Before I am flamed for that - remember I did say there were (and ARE) exceptions!

AFF (and Static Line or even IAD for that matter) on the other hand - provide CONSISTENTLY however - an actual TEACHING, FIRST JUMP COURSE. Not, necessarily required at all, in order "to just do" a tandem.

I submit that "Logic" therefore supports in this case - absolutely NO NEED for a tandem, and straight to a FULLY INSTRUCTIONAL based FIRST JUMP COURSE (notice the emphasis on what it is even called! ;)), such as AFF, is in fact - Please - absolutely PERFECTLY acceptable!

After all - and as others have mentioned - that is precisely what the entire program was designed for in the very 1st place!

Personally - I have never done a tandem, from either "side of the equation", and don't ever plan to either.

Just another .02

Blue Skies & GO FOR IT, Boomerang! Come back and let us know as well, how you did. Welcome to "our" skies!! B|

-Grant

You misread. He said it "isn't ILlogical", implying that it is also logical to start with AFF.
Blue skies,
Keith Medlock

My students who do a tandem before jumping into AFF tend to progress a bit quicker, since they know a bit more what to expect and tend to be a bit more relaxed.

I do recommend students do a tandem before AFF for this reason.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Oops! ...Steps away from the last remaining open, alcoholic beverage, and PILE of can's littered about the proximity, and sends - most humble apologies! :$

Was reading so many of those - "yeah - go tandem 1st's", i guess I just got blurry-eyed over it.

Mea Culpa.
Carry on.
Blues!
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I recommend you do just one tandem first, purely for the sensory overload factor. You will feel it on your first jump. AFF will then most likely be easier since you know what to expect.

Or in other words, compare the cost to repeating your AFF level one to the cost of a tandem. The tandem is probably cheaper. Not saying you will fail the level one but it could happen due to being overloaded. Making a tandem removes this. But you could still fail level one anyways so that's no guarantee either, lol.

Before I did my first tandem, I did not know a damn thing about skydiving let alone AFF. After the first tandem, I started to get a curious itch. So I started to scratch that itch and found myself back for my second tandem 6 days later. After that I was hooked. Started doing a lot of research and ended up doing AFF a few monts later. I would say the tandem is good to get that first feeling of freefall out of the way. Going to the tunnel is also another good tool to use before AFF. It helps you get comfortable with flying your body. I did 2 sessions before AFF and it made me feel so much better about going up on my own.
Speedracer~I predict that Michael Jackson will rise from the dead.
And that a giant radioactive duck will emerge from the ocean and eat Baltimore.

Or in other words, compare the cost to repeating your AFF level one to the cost of a tandem. The tandem is probably cheaper.

AFF level one price includes ground school. If you fail level one, you will not be paying full price(which includes the ground school) to repeat the jump, just the cost of the jump (which may or may not be cheaper than a tandem).

Boomerang,

As an AFFI - I have taught hundreds of first timers....

Only you will know if you "need" a tandem jump... I have many, many students who "aced" level 1 without a tandem... If you are worried that you will freeze up under the pressure of the unknown, then maybe you need to do a tandem.

Here is my recommendation. Do the entire AFF Level 1 ground school (it is usually 5-8 hours)... Then after the ground school, you can tell your instructors, "I would like to do a tandem first, then I will do my Level 1 right after that." Your tandem instructor then can have you do a level 1 under tandem and concentrate on learning... However, 80% of the people I would tell this to would say after ground school, "nope, I will just go to AFF1 and skip the tandem."

FYI - tandems teach a lot of bad habits too that often have to be relearned. The body position is often not a good arch for solo skydiving - and worst of all, landings.... Tandem instructors often have students bring up their legs so they can slide in on their butt, and should they run/stand up the landing, the student's feet won't be in their way... Well, in AFF, this is about the worst thing you can do. If you land less than perfect, all the landing impact will be transferred to the spine... Every student I see slide in on their butt will say they did a Tandem... Do it once on tandem and it sticks....