iluvtofly

Question for those smart Dr. types out there...

I'm not a physician, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so I know stuff.

Take Ginkgo, echinacia, Zinc, Airborne, lots of Vitamin C and coffee enemas and it will clear up in 7 days. Do nothing and it will last a week.

Starbucks has those ?

:P

Well, yes and no. It was all a big misunderstanding one day between a barista and an unhappy customer; Tempers flared, words flew, and the next thing you know, someone took literally what had been said figuratively. :S

OH - I thouht it was just a "Colon Cleansing" . . . I get one every time I go to Starbucks.

Funny, I get mine from Pizza Hut.

Taco Bell for me...

Well, yes and no. It was all a big misunderstanding one day between a barista and an unhappy customer; Tempers flared, words flew, and the next thing you know, someone took literally what had been said figuratively. :S

OH - I thouht it was just a "Colon Cleansing" . . . I get one every time I go to Starbucks.

Taco Bell for me...

I get mine from the IRS.
At least you guys get something in return.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Headaches...check.

I still think I'm going to listen to others and see and ENT and try to get things checked out a bit more.

If your suffering often look into getting them flushed by your GP, I know they used to drill small holes in them to releave but not sure if i would go that way. I have a freind who used a pot thingy and said it worked well.
```````````````````````````````````
" Cant keep a good woman down "
Angels have wings, but devils can fly !

Are you sure it's an actual infection and not an allergy? Have you been to an ENT?

Never been to an ENT...probably a good idea. Why I never thought of that is beyond me. B|.

Why people seek medical advice on a skydiving blog is beyond me.

Are you sure it's an actual infection and not an allergy? Have you been to an ENT?

Never been to an ENT...probably a good idea. Why I never thought of that is beyond me. B|.

Because it's cheaper then going to a Dr. :)

...and you get what you pay for.

Sometimes you get a hell of alot more than you pay for. I took the suggestion of using the Neil Med Sinus Rinse. I CAN BREATHE AGAIN!!!! Thank you so much for that suggestion. I spent $10 on this. As opposed to a $50 copay at the Dr. plus who knows how much on a prescription. :)

Sometimes you get a hell of alot more than you pay for.

No doubt. And sometimes you wind up getting medical advice from people who are unqualified to give it. If your avenue of first resort must be the internet, at least go to a reputable medical website (to the extent that's not an oxymoron).

Sometimes you get a hell of alot more than you pay for. I took the suggestion of using the Neil Med Sinus Rinse. I CAN BREATHE AGAIN!!!! Thank you so much for that suggestion. I spent $10 on this. As opposed to a $50 copay at the Dr. plus who knows how much on a prescription. :)

Splendid... you have absolutely no idea what the underying cause is, but you treated the symptom of the problem. Meanwhile, the underlying issue is going untreated, possibly getting worse. What a wonderful way to look at health care. :S

You have no idea how many serious eye issues I've seen treated with Visine... the patients figured that since their eye wasn't as red, they are fine. What they didn't take into account was that their eye was red due to raging closed angle glaucoma, corneal ulcer, uveitis, or other condition and by the time they saw me at last, they had permanently lost vision.

Take health care seriously. Finding out WHY things are happening is far more important than just masking problems by treating symptoms.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Last year I had a sinus infection from July to December that I couldnt seem to kick. I finally got upset and went to the Dr. in October because I was getting ready to go to Cali for a skydiving/business trip. While chatting with him about how healthy i normally am and how i can't beleive i can't kick it he casually mentions we had been having a lot of pressure changes and that pressure changes can cause the infection to expand and contract causing it to spread or linger. I asked him if changes in altitude could cause this and he said only if i did it a half dozen times in a short time period. So when i told him i made 11 jumps the previous two days he thought i was joking ;) When i explained it to him he said that could certainly be why i can't seem to get rid of it and he put me on stronger antibotics and sent me to cali.

2 months later the infection spread to my parodic glands, i look like i gained 80lbs overnight, and i was quaranteened because a different doctor misdiagnosed me with the mumps. :S

Ever since then i have been really careful about jumping with an infection....and by careful i mean i wince and cross my fingers when i do it :P

"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

Taco Bell for me...

I get mine from the IRS.
At least you guys get something in return.
[:/]

DOODE! They are seizing your shit now?

That is just too much!

Won't even let you flush you own anymore - that is just too frickin much!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Take health care seriously. Finding out WHY things are happening is far more important than just masking problems by treating symptoms.

Bah. Quit trying to make sense.

Sorry ... you'd think I'd know better than to read in bonfire. I should have just posted boobies and been done with it :P;)

Bah. Quit trying to make sense.

Sorry ... you'd think I'd know better than to read in bonfire. I should have just posted boobies and been done with it :P;)

Make sure those boobies have some Vicks vapor rub on them. That shit'll cure anything.

2 birds. 1 Stone.

Splendid... you have absolutely no idea what the underying cause is, but you treated the symptom of the problem. Meanwhile, the underlying issue is going untreated, possibly getting worse. What a wonderful way to look at health care. :S

You have no idea how many serious eye issues I've seen treated with Visine... the patients figured that since their eye wasn't as red, they are fine. What they didn't take into account was that their eye was red due to raging closed angle glaucoma, corneal ulcer, uveitis, or other condition and by the time they saw me at last, they had permanently lost vision.

I agree with you, however it's been my experience that VERY few doctors take the time to actually investigate underlying causes when they can throw a pill at it make the symptoms go away. If you can do something at home and save time, frustration and money... It's all good. Now I'm sure if those home remedies or over the counter things don't work the next step would be going to the doctor. But if I can help it, I'm staying home. Besides, if everyone went to see the doctor with every little tiny symptom then the doctors would be so over worked they wouldn't have time to help the seriously ill people.

Besides, if everyone went to see the doctor with every little tiny symptom then the doctors would be so over worked they wouldn't have time to help the seriously ill people.

You should see my schedule some days.

"I tripped two days ago, my ankle hurts."
"Have you tried anything for the pain yet? Maybe like ibuprofen?"
"No."

..."facepalm"

About 20% of my daily clinic schedule has people who ACTUALLY need to be there with an acute issue. Others are my followups and such, and the remainder are people who want abx for a sinus infection that has been going on for two days, narcotics for their sprained toe, or some xanax cause their life is too rough.

Now hospital rounds.....that is a different story...

About 20% of my daily clinic schedule has people who ACTUALLY need to be there with an acute issue. Others are my followups and such, and the remainder are people who want abx for a sinus infection that has been going on for two days, narcotics for their sprained toe, or some xanax cause their life is too rough.

Now hospital rounds.....that is a different story...

And that is exactly why I hate going to the doctor. It takes so long for the doctor to determine that you aren't there for stupid reasons and are in real need of medical help that it's an exercise in frustration. And when your really sick, that is tough! I went to the ER once with chest pain, difficulty breathing and coughing up blood. I sat out in the waiting room for hours upon hours, only to be sent home once I finally saw a doctor with an antibiotic. An antibiotic doesn't do anything when your lungs are hemorrhaging. But then the doctor, upon briefly looking at me and my chest x-ray, thought I had pneumonia and threw a pill at it. So, pretty much you really need to take care of your own health care rather than relying only on a doctor. Do what you can for yourself. ;)

I agree with you, however it's been my experience that VERY few doctors take the time to actually investigate underlying causes when they can throw a pill at it make the symptoms go away. If you can do something at home and save time, frustration and money... It's all good. Now I'm sure if those home remedies or over the counter things don't work the next step would be going to the doctor. But if I can help it, I'm staying home. Besides, if everyone went to see the doctor with every little tiny symptom then the doctors would be so over worked they wouldn't have time to help the seriously ill people.

This particular case was someone who has a RECURRING problem, every few months, not a one time issue. That indicates an underlying cause that flares and ebbs, which requires medical investigation not just masking a symptom.

I would rather see a dozen patients that just need hand holding and reassurance than miss that one patient with a very real problem. My staff knows that if someone is concerned enough about a problem to want it checked that day, they get seen that day. Period. Even if it sounds like a minor issue.

It's not docs that want to throw pills at things... it's patients that come in begging for pills and wondering why we are hesitant to throw pills at a problem without knowing what's really going on and then throw hissy fits at us.

I can't even count the number of patients that have been mad at me for refusing to give eyedrops for viral conjunctivitis. There are no eye drops for that... viral conjunctivitis (non herpetic forms) resolve on their own and cause no issues, so no point in treating it.

This particular case was someone who has a RECURRING problem, every few months, not a one time issue. That indicates an underlying cause that flares and ebbs, which requires medical investigation not just masking a symptom.

I would rather see a dozen patients that just need hand holding and reassurance than miss that one patient with a very real problem. My staff knows that if someone is concerned enough about a problem to want it checked that day, they get seen that day. Period. Even if it sounds like a minor issue.

It's not docs that want to throw pills at things... it's patients that come in begging for pills and wondering why we are hesitant to throw pills at a problem without knowing what's really going on and then throw hissy fits at us.

I can't even count the number of patients that have been mad at me for refusing to give eyedrops for viral conjunctivitis. There are no eye drops for that... viral conjunctivitis (non herpetic forms) resolve on their own and cause no issues, so no point in treating it.

And you sound like one of those very rare doctors that take their time and actually look for underlying causes. I love you for that!! Unfortunately that doesn't happen all the time in all areas of medicine. Even if you think you have the best doctor. And by the way...none of my issues are ever one time occurring problems. I have lupus. It's about as pesky as having a chronic sinus infection, maybe, on my good days. :S Bad days are spent in ICU with lungs hemorrhaging. Lupus "flares and ebbs" like nothing you've ever seen before.

I totally understand what you are talking about though. An ounce of prevention.... Better to be safe than sorry. etc. But I still think that if you can fix it at home, within reason, it's a better way to go. I say Kudos to the person that can find a sinus spray, over the counter, that makes them feel better.:)

With Lupus, you know what your underlying problem is and when it needs to see a doc and when you can self-manage. A recurring sinus issue that has an unknown underlying etiology can be anything from a sinus tumor to allergy, and that's why it needs to be checked out.

If a person (not necessarily you, anyone) has a doc that DOESN'T take the time to truly educate and meet the patient's needs... fire them and go elsewhere. Docs are on the patient's payroll, not the other way around. I've fired several GI docs, a neurologist, and 2 family docs in the last 10 years. But the docs I have now, I'll stick with forever. My family doc has been mine for 7 years now, I drive an hour to see him, but I know if there's a problem, he'll see me that day, he'll give me all the time I need and treat me like I'm the only person on his schedule that day... to me, that's worth a drive. Fortunately he's no older than I am, so won't retire any time soon :)
I'm picky about the docs I refer to as well... I have a very select few that I'm willing to send patients too, but they all treat patients the same way I'd want to be treated if I'm the one in the chair.

There are lots of docs with my mindset out there, unfortunately few patients take the intiative to interview their medical care providers and make sure they are happy with who they are trusting with their lives.

Yup, I'll say it again, I agree with you. Especially about the hot doc part! However, the last hot doc I had... looked just like Harrison Ford (YUM!) I had to fire him right after my last ICU stay. He was really good up to a point. And you never know when or where that point is going to be until you get there. Then sometimes it's too late.

It really sounds like you are fortunate because you have an inside look at who and what the doctors are like. Most regular people don't have that luxury. You can't tell what a doctor is going to be like, for the duration of your medical needs, from a 30 minute interview. Most people don't give doctors much thought until they need them and then they're too sick to go investigating who is the best. Some people have HMO plans that only let them have certain doctors and that's all they get and they're lucky to have that.

I still say sinus spray is an awesome alternative to going to the doctor. :D

get a Netti Pot and rinse your nose daily with it. It helps remove allergens from your nose. I love mine and use it frequently at the start of an upper respiratory infection. Dairy is also a common allergen that can cause both lung and sinus congestion. Get rid of dairy, and I'll bet there will be an improvement.