iluvtofly

Question for those smart Dr. types out there...

So every 3 or 4 months I get a sinus infection. It's like clockwork. My last one was in September and I'm sitting here at work with another one. Bad sinuses run in my family (both my mom and dad have problems with theirs).

Aside from moving to a warmer climate (which I'm doing in May) is there anything I can do/get done for this? It's really really annoying.

Thanks.

Sniffly yours,
Cyndi :P

Bad sinuses run in my family :P

See, that there is funny:P

My wife has these problems occasionally too and always feels better when we're on holiday in the mountains or by the sea - fresh clean air, I'd guess.

Hope you feel better soon.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I'm not a physician, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so I know stuff.

Take Ginkgo, echinacia, Zinc, Airborne, lots of Vitamin C and coffee enemas and it will clear up in 7 days. Do nothing and it will last a week.

Starbucks has those ?

:P
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Are you sure it's an actual infection and not an allergy? Have you been to an ENT?

Never been to an ENT...probably a good idea. Why I never thought of that is beyond me. B|

Everytime I go to the Dr. for it they give me antibiotics for sinus infection and it clears up almost instantly. Makes me think it's an infection not allergy.

Take Ginkgo, echinacia, Zinc, Airborne, lots of Vitamin C and coffee enemas and it will clear up in 7 days. Do nothing and it will last a week.

Starbucks has those ?

They started doing them around the same time they got WiFi. If you don't tip the barista, don't bother going back.....they'll make sure the coffee is scalding hot the next time around. If you thought it hurt to burn your tongue....

try that tea pot thing where you pour water in one nostril and let it drain out the other.

I'll add to this. I recently had sinus surgery. An ENT did the honors. At my follow-up he handed me a NeilMed Sinus Rinse kit and advised me to use it. (this method is better than the 'teapot' way, IMO).

After reading the testimonials on Amazon.com, I was convinced to give it a try! WOW! It's fantastic! Although a bit weird the first time around, you get over it and the benefits are amazing.

I HIGHLY recommend you give this a try. People with allergies, especially, are singing its praise up and down the block. Much better than suffering. Much better than having to take drugs to medically help the sinuses stay clear.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

See an ENT and have a cat scan to make sure that there is nothing structually wrong with your sinus passages. Moving will probebly help so you might just tough it out and see if a climate change helps. other wise sinus meds or surgery or both.

so I think: tough it out, then if that doesn't help see an ENT.

PS I have done Mri and Cat scan for the last 25 years. I've seen my fair share of people in your situation.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

With regard to the sinuses, I have issues when I'm in the midwest but when I was living in Hawaii, I almost forgot about em altogether! Anyway, a friend of mine recommended a neti pot. I thought it was some bizarro new age thing because that's the kinda gal she is. She got me one though and it's pretty awesome. The idea of it kinda grossed me out at first, but it really helped a lot. I also have a cool air humidifier in my bedroom that I put a few drops of scented oils in (eucalyptus seemed to help a lot when I'd get all stuffed up, but when I'm not having issues, I still put a few drops of some oil or another in it just because it makes the room smell awesome!)

I wouldn't have even tried the neti pot if I hadn't tried everything else first. It really helps a lot when things get nasty up there. I usually start right when I feel it coming on (I dunno if it's the norm, but I'll get major pressure under my eyes and generally my issues with my nose kick in within a day or 2) in the morning when I wake up and in the evening before bed.

I also got one of those face steamer things for doing facials a few years ago for Christmas. It seems to help some, but I don't usually have time to devote to just sitting there with my face in a cone while my kid runs around trashing my house!

They started doing them around the same time they got WiFi. If you don't tip the barista Coffee machine button presser, and pourie into cup operative, ..........

Fixed it f'ya:P - barista - WTF?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

So every 3 or 4 months I get a sinus infection. It's like clockwork. My last one was in September and I'm sitting here at work with another one. Bad sinuses run in my family (both my mom and dad have problems with theirs).

Aside from moving to a warmer climate (which I'm doing in May) is there anything I can do/get done for this? It's really really annoying.

Thanks.

Sniffly yours,
Cyndi :P

I'm a smart ass . . . does that qualify me?

Anyway - you might want to go get an MRI of your brain and sinuses. You might have a mucus cyst in your sinuses that aggravates the lining into an infectious mess.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

if headaches appear with it it could be Chronic Sinusitus. I have that and my sinus goes crazy a few times a year
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

Starbucks has those ?

Well, yes and no. It was all a big misunderstanding one day between a barista and an unhappy customer; Tempers flared, words flew, and the next thing you know, someone took literally what had been said figuratively. :S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Starbucks has those ?

Well, yes and no. It was all a big misunderstanding one day between a barista and an unhappy customer; Tempers flared, words flew, and the next thing you know, someone took literally what had been said figuratively. :S

OH - I thouht it was just a "Colon Cleansing" . . . I get one every time I go to Starbucks.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Starbucks has those ?

OH - I thouht it was just a "Colon Cleansing" . . . I get one every time I go to Starbucks.

Funny, I get mine from Pizza Hut.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

i went to an ENT also. I had an MRI so they could find out in was Chronic Sinusitus. All they do is prescribe anitbiotics and drain it.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.

I suffer from allergies. I started checking out pollen.com everytime I had sinus problems to see if I could track what was blooming each time to see if I was suffering from allergies or if I was getting sick. It won't heal you, of course, but it certainly gives me peace of mind to know I'm not contagious now that I see "ragweed and grass" whenever I punch in my zip code in the site.

Good Housekeeping has a pretty good article this month on how to fight sinus infections. I'm also a fan of the neti-pot, you can pick one up at most drug stores.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon