No_Phear

What progression method did you use to become a skydiver

and u managed to get in whoopng 58 jumps in in 7 years!? wow, i'm really impressed by your love of the sport..

Wow. Your mother must be so proud of you. :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My mom or his mom??

His mom, that's why I replied to him. ;) It was in reference to him being so judgemental and snarky.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My mom or his mom??

His mom, that's why I replied to him. ;) It was in reference to him being so judgemental and snarky.

you wouldnt want to meet my mum. i've heard things about you too that make ME go mhmmm.. so far i havent broken out of my "dont talk about mods"-mood. maybe i will.. ;)

lets talk about people that turn up on a boogie, in jumpsuit n'all, that dont really jump there!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

and for the OP, i started right off AFF and layed the 3 grand right on manifest when i got there.

dont ask me for 2nd or 3rd jumps, coz thats when i almost bailed out again.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Did S/L first T10 front mount reserve. Did a boatload of S/ls and hop n pops Then pulled my head out of my fourth point of contact and went AFF in Perris in the summer of 82. Jerry Swovelin L side JM , Bill Deli R side JM, Dick Pedley flew video. I was one of the most fortunate SOBs in the world to have had the oportunity to meet and learn from these guys. Everyone of them is/was a true legend. I was the 11th student in the AFF program at Perris. One of the people just hanging out at the dropzone was Terry Ward. My lucky self showed up there at the right space and time. Terry Ward, Billy Reed and some big ugly Marine whos name is lost to me threw me into the swiming pool. I bought a lot of beer and drank a lot to;)

Let me try this again, in the right forum....

Besides jumping out of a plane :) how did you go from Wuffo to Skydiver.

I did my first jump, AFF, at skydive Palatka in Florida, in July 2001. Then I couldn't jump again for various reasons until I started AFF over in August of 2008. That first jump in 2001 was enough to instantly addict me.

AFF baby. Grad in 7 jumps. Taught myself to freefly at 30. . (w/ the help of Pat Works online studying) ;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

remember that 13 year old "social misfit" thing....well you are displaying it again
For a guy heading towards 40 years old, you have a lot of growing up to do
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So, considering your intended sarcasim, I'll just let you pull your foot out of your mouth. ;)

:D:D:D:D

Hey, way to persevere in the face of overwhelming odds. You've been through stuff that would have crushed some people. Let me know if you ever make it to Seattle. You're on my load. :)

in your other post on this topic, the AFF description reads, "screw the training wheels i went straight to AFF." in this post it reads, "i always wanted to skydive so i went straight to AFF."

it seems like these aren't quite fair. the only reason i went with static was because it was so much cheaper. i was working as a landscaper at the time so i wasn't exactly rich. i've always wanted to be a skydiver but i'm not a trust fund baby so aff wasn't an option for me (i know that's harsh, but you have to admit, some AFF students probably are trust fund babies, and probably almost no static line students are these days).

static line really is a kind of training wheels, but that doesn't mean people who choose AFF are necessarily more confident. i imagine more than a few AFF students were a lot more scared on their first jump than a lot of static line students would have been if they could have afforded AFF.

static line forces you to focus only on your canopy skills at first, and that can't be bad. also, its old school and old school rocks!

all that being said, i always wished that i could have afforded to go straight to AFF and without doing a tanden first.

I started static line, my dz didn't have tandems at the time. I don't think I still would've went static line given the choice anyway. My DZO says he gets much more return students from static line/IAD. The poll numbers so far show the same thing. They had a contest last year between the IAD instructors and the tandem instructors to see who could get the most points, the losers bought the winners a steak dinner. They got one point for the first jump, 3 points for a second jump, and 5 points for a graduation. The tandems won but only because there were far more tandems done. The IAD's did almost all of the return students.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

in your other post on this topic, the AFF description reads, "screw the training wheels i went straight to AFF." in this post it reads, "i always wanted to skydive so i went straight to AFF."

Maybe he meant Tandem. I think an instructor on your back qualifies as training wheels. I think anytime you throw yourself out of an airplane, on your own, in your rig, that counts as doing it. I remember my first S/L, and I certainly didn't feel like it was training wheels.

Besides, what's a bigger set of training wheels, a S/L pulling your main out, or would it be going with instructors on each side, holding you stable, and backing up your every move? Hmmmmmm.:D:D:P

I did a tandem then upon returning to florida i started AFF. Unfortunately ihad to take a LONG break(feb 07 to present) due to a financially draining relationship that i was in and then one thing or another. My goal is to start back into it this month after all the monthly bills are taken care of. My more long term goal is to be licensed by mid summer. I want to be licensed and have all of my own gear by the time i start school. After that i wont be working and ill be living off the new GI bill so i wont have the income i do now working full time!
"Age has absolutely nothing to do with knowledge, learning, respect, attitude, or personality." -yardhippie
"Fight the air, and the air will kick your ass!!! "-Specialkaye

Worked the registration tent in Quincy for a number of years (Nobody parties better than skydivers...well maybe bikers).

Got a ride on the skyvan as an observer (expected to see the skydivers float away....what a friggin' shock to see they were simply gone once they stepped off the plane).

Couldn't get the image of the exit out of my mind and the next convention I did a tandem....then I was hooked....AFF came next.

StreakerB|

Have a yippee ki ya day!

it seems like these aren't quite fair....

Indeed I was refering to Tandems and not static, and I wasn't trying to be condesending on any particular method, which is why I reworded it the second time.

In any case, I personally choose AFF first because
A) I didn't want to waste money on a Tandem jump, and it seemed a little gay to me, having some dude strapped on my backside :D,
B) I don't think they offered static where I did my first jump at the time, nor would I have choose it if they did, and
C) I'm a little nuts, and really don't fear a thing, so I knew skydiving would be a blast... even if it killed me, so I went AFF.

And money helped old me back also, which is why I took a loan to pay for the AFF upp front the second time.
Tact is not my specialty.....

Dirty Sanchez #453