No_Phear

What progression method did you use to become a skydiver

Let me try this again, in the right forum....

Besides jumping out of a plane :) how did you go from Wuffo to Skydiver.

I did my first jump, AFF, at skydive Palatka in Florida, in July 2001. Then I couldn't jump again for various reasons until I started AFF over in August of 2008. That first jump in 2001 was enough to instantly addict me.
Tact is not my specialty.....

Dirty Sanchez #453

I turned up at the DZ and tried to pay for AFF in full before the bloke in manifest said "Ummm maybe you should just pay for level 1 and see if you like it" which kind of put me on the backfoot. I was so sure it was what i wanted that it took a minute to register what he was saying while i stood there with this dumb look on my face of "huh?".

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I turned up at the DZ and tried to pay for AFF in full before the bloke in manifest said "Ummm maybe you should just pay for level 1 and see if you like it" which kind of put me on the backfoot. I was so sure it was what i wanted that it took a minute to register what he was saying while i stood there with this dumb look on my face of "huh?".

I know what you mean, I couldn't wait for the class to get over, and my turn to jump. In my head I was thinking, "Just get the fuck out of my way so I can jump!" But, unfortunately, I had to go through all the proper procedures....

Dirty Sanchez #453

I signed up for a tandem in 2001 as a graduation present to myself. Liked it so much I did a second the same day. Even better was these jumps were at 6 am in the morning! Our college arranged to have the tandem instructors come down to a private landing strip near the college for jumps on Saturday. We got winded out Sat afternoon and not everyone got to jump. They told us to some back at 6am on Sunday and they would get us up. I don't think they really expected us to show up but about 5 of us did :D After that I knew without a doubt I was hooked. Waited a year to finally go back and do another tandem then AFF.

Is that IAD? and you're right I forgot all about that...

Yeah, typo.

No, it wasn't a typo. You had it right the first time. IAF (instructor assisted freefall) is a tandem to AFF progression. Typically, the jumps for the first three AFF levels are replaced by tandems with specific learning objectives for each jump. After the tandems, the progression is essentially identical to AFF.

IAD is instructor assisted deployment. IAD progression is nearly identical to to static line progression. However, with IAD, the first five jumps are not static line deployments. Instead, the IAD instructor removes the stunt's pilot chute prior to climb out, and then throws the pilot chute as the student exits (lets go of the strut on a 182).

I went through the IAD progression. I've also worked on an dropzone that utilized the AFF progression and a dropzone that utilized the IAF progression. Of the three, IAF is the one I would recommend to any friends or family who might want to learn to skydive, assuming that instructor of equal ability are available for each discipline when/if that time comes.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

man, due to various reasons i also didnt get my 250-300 in (total) this year, but still managed to sneak up to almost 200.. so..

u know, i also wanted to start since 18, did a paraglider-tandem then, but wouldn count those years.. ;)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Let me try this again, in the right forum....

Besides jumping out of a plane :) how did you go from Wuffo to Skydiver.

I did my first jump, AFF, at skydive Palatka in Florida, in July 2001. Then I couldn't jump again for various reasons until I started AFF over in August of 2008. That first jump in 2001 was enough to instantly addict me.

There is no "I always wanted to skydive so I did a tandem!" Honestly when I first started everybody told me you HAD to do a tandem. (Guess I didn't research it enough) But ever since I was 12 I knew I would jump when I turned 18. Sure enough the luckiest day of the century came around and I jumped (7/7/07) There sure were a lot of people jumping that day lol
"I didn't know they gave out rings at the holocaust"

and u managed to get in whoopng 58 jumps in in 7 years!? wow, i'm really impressed by your love of the sport.. :S

Don't really think I need to justify it, but why the heck not....

So I did a Cat A. in July 2001.....

In October, I went to school in CA for 2 months.

In Jan 02' I transferred to Texas to a minesweeper, whose schedule did not allow me time.

In Jan. 03' I transferred to another minesweeper.

In October '03, I was in a MVA, killing 2 of my 3 children, and leaving me in a coma, /persistive vegetative state. They said I'd never walk of talk again, muchless skydive.

After a 1 year recovery, I returned to full active duty in Mississippi, Oct '04 as a single father of one 12 year old son, so I promised my son I would not skydive again, and leave him alone.

In July '07 I transfered back to sea duty and in November went on a 7 month deployment. Once I returned, my son, (16 at that time) went parasailing together in July and he released me from my promise to him to never skydive again. So In August I did my Cat A over, and in September paid for the full AFF course, and made 56 skydives between September and December, working around weather, and at-sea periods.

So, considering your intended sarcasim, I'll just let you pull your foot out of your mouth. ;)

Dirty Sanchez #453

It's thread drift of course, but kudos to you for grit and determination. My hat's off to you and your son.

No worse than me screwing it all up, so I actually have 2 threads on the same thing lol.

But thanks, but it just goes to show how addicting skydiving is... 7 years, 3 pelvic fractures, C-2 fracture, massive brain damage, collapsed lung, and a full thickness burn to most of my left arm were not even enough to keep me from jumping again... I just had to get my son to release my from my silly promise:ph34r:

Dirty Sanchez #453