chiquita24

anybody live or know anything about Lancaster Cali?

I've been offered a nanny job in Lancaster Cali, but I don't know much about it. I'd be making a huge move, from Mn to California. What's the job market there? Is cost of living outrageous? Even though I have a free place to stay. Any info about it would be helpful!
What's the closest DZ?

Kim

It's very close to Willow Springs Raceway:)
Kind of BFE you have to drive an hour or so for major city Bakersfield/LA

Fair amount of military close to Edwards AFB.

Its high dessert really hot in the summer and cold in the winter and chilly at night.

Cost of living is California high but like all remote/semi remote places if you have a good job you'll live well

Not sure on DZ's Perris / Elsinore are 2 hrs or so away

Unless I was making pretty good money I'd pass

PM me if you have more specific questions

John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Well 2 good things, no more MN winters and youd be closer to me! But as it was said it is the desert the closest DZ would probably be Taft and then lake elsinore or perris all about 2 hours away.
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

First, you're gonna want to call it land scatter just like everyone else does. :P

Next you have to realize that it's in the desert of southern California. As for skydiving, well I'm not sure but I'd say your looking at 1 to 2 hours drive wherever you go. I disagree about Bakersfield being the closest major city. Bakersfield??? seriously??

Anyway, ummm LA is all of about an hour and a half south. San Diego is 3 hours away. I've not been there for ugghhh probably 5 years or more, so I don't know how much it's improved.

If the job is good pay and you want to get out of MN, go for it.

Just remember, it is in the desert.

Skymama's #2 stalker -

We have a group of jumpers from Lancaster who jump at Taft (about 30 of them...called the Tumbleweeds....seriously)). It is about an hour and a half from Lancaster to the DZ.

Yes, you'd be living in the desert, but we have year round jumping in southern CA!

I grew up on Edwards AFB, which is literally just miles down the road.

Read this wiki page - it is a surprisingly accurate picture of the area you'd be living in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antelope_Valley

Also check out these pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster,_California

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmdale,_California

If you are an outdoorsy kind of person, you'll be in heaven. there is SO much to see and do that is nature-related.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

a fellow Scorpion??? :o

Haha, unfortunately no - never made it to DHS because my family moved to Florida when I was in middle school. We lived there from '87 to '94. I did however, attend Bailey, Branch, and Forbes. the school on Payne Ave hadn't (re)opened yet. My house was on Chanute Dr in F Area, which apparently no longer exists. Kind of sad - I have so many great memories of that base. [:/]
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

I grew up there. It sucks! Nothing there.

It's grown and changed a lot in the last few years. Big mall, outlets, movie places, and many, many new housing tracks. Cheap to live there too. :)Not sure about job opportunities.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

a fellow Scorpion??? :o

Haha, unfortunately no - never made it to DHS because my family moved to Florida when I was in middle school. We lived there from '87 to '94. I did however, attend Bailey, Branch, and Forbes. the school on Payne Ave hadn't (re)opened yet. My house was on Chanute Dr in F Area, which apparently no longer exists. Kind of sad - I have so many great memories of that base. [:/]

I went to Branch and Forbes, but was there for freshman year of highschool.
I knew the guy who burned payne down. ha, he is probably in jail these days.
I lived on Mitchell Drive in F. I believe I was there from 87-92.
I did hear F is pretty much gone, but they did build a new area that is much nicer than what F was, just not as big.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I've lived in Lancaster all my life, We use to have a great dropzone 38 miles away, Next one is Taft (where I go now) is an 1 1/2 and perris and elsinore is about 2 hours, sking is about an hour, and the beach is about two, Houses go for the low 200k for a 3 br, you shop for about anything you want with out go to LA, about an hour, what kind of job are you going for? E-mail if you have an questions,

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,