PeregrineFalcon

Widescreen vs Formatted

OMG you sound like my mother. :D

Widescreen preserves the aspect ratio of the original film. Formatted distorts it. I don't like to see things distorted, though I suppose it's less important for some films that aren't that visually interesting. But for those that are ... widescreen all the way.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

This isn't a great movie. However, in Bad Girls, there is a scene where someone shoots a snake, but you don't see the snake in the formatted version. It took me a minute to figure out what they were scared about.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

Tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIXM2DF0dEM

Benny Hill once did a skit where he used the cropping and pan-and-scan effects for comedic effect. I would love it if someone could find a clip of that online. It was hilarious!:D

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

OMG you sound like my mother. :D

Widescreen preserves the aspect ratio of the original film. Formatted distorts it. I don't like to see things distorted, though I suppose it's less important for some films that aren't that visually interesting. But for those that are ... widescreen all the way.

LOL...I expected this answer...(not the mother part, but she sounds bitchin') I expected to hear the "as it was originally intended" argument. I see the widescreen when it's on tv as looking distorted.

As for the widescreen tv, that sounds like a plan, but what would then happen when I watched regular tv?

When it's formatted for tv, they're not lopped off.

Are they? I've NEVER seen a movie on television where it was lopped off. If you have, please give me an example.

You HAVE watched chopped-off images. See my post with the tutorial video.

Take any movie you have seen on a 4:3 TV and look it up here:

http://www.imdb.com/

Click on the "Technical Specs" link in the left margin.
That will tell you the aspect ratio in which it was shot.
If the aspect ratio is greater than 4:3, then you only saw part of the picture.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

When it's formatted for tv, they're not lopped off.

Are they? I've NEVER seen a movie on television where it was lopped off. If you have, please give me an example.

If you've seen any movie on TV that was originally made for the "big screen", you've seen a movie that had the ends lopped off.

What irritates me is that just as soon as HD was established to conform to a 16:9 standard, all the DVDs started coming out in even wider format, so we STILL get bars on the top & bottom, just not as thick. In another couple years, 16:9 will be today's 4:3 and we'll all be buy another new TV...but I suppose that's kind of the point. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I just don't understand why so many DVD's come out in widescreen. There's a whole section of the my tv not being used.

FTFY.

As for the widescreen tv, that sounds like a plan, but what would then happen when I watched regular tv?

There's not such thing as "regular." But of all the varying standards right I would guess 16:9 is by far the most prevalent, especially for new TV broadcasts. But if you were to watch a 4:3 show... it should be pretty obvious what would happen. You have two options: stretch or pillarbox.

When it's formatted for tv, they're not lopped off. Are they? I've NEVER seen a movie on television where it was lopped off. If you have, please give me an example.

Please give me an example of a movie that was filmed in 4:3.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I just don't understand why so many DVD's come out in widescreen. Who prefers it? There's a whole section of the tv not being used.

I would really like someone who prefers widescreen to give me a legitimate reason why they do.

I prefer the original aspect ratio so I can see everything that's going on and not be stuck with "talking noses" (where the pan centers on the two characters noses, loosing the rest of the scene) or rapid MTV-style cuts between two interacting characters that detract from the screen. It's a little disconcerting to watch people who've been stretched out in some direction.

If the picture's not big enough, get a bigger screen.

In the last home I stayed put in long enough I installed an 87x49" front projection setup. 4:3 images were plenty big at 81" diagonal. Scope films were a bit small at only 3' high but I could sit closer to work around that.

Next time I'll probably go with a constant height setup with seating around 3 screen heights (ex - 12' from a 4' high 115" wide screen, 9' from a 3' high 86" wide screen, whatever)

This stuff has gotten pretty accessable (you don't need to be enough of a geek to bolt a 200 pound projector to the joists) and affordable (projectors can be had for less than a TV, and a white bed sheet on a frame is a nearly free acoustically transparent screen).

There's not such thing as "regular." But of all the varying standards right I would guess 16:9 is by far the most prevalent, especially for new TV broadcasts. But if you were to watch a 4:3 show... it should be pretty obvious what would happen. You have two options: stretch or pillarbox.

There's also zoom. My personal favorite rendition of run-of-the-mill TV that's broadcast in 4:3 is the combination of zoom/stretch that zooms center a little & stretches the corners a little...it fills the screen without too much distortion or too much chopping. I bought myself a new TV for my birthday last month and it doesn't have this option. [:/]

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Please give me an example of a movie that was filmed in 4:3.

Many of the classics made before 1950 - Casablanca, It's a Wonderful Life, Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

Some films are shot open matte. If composed to work at 4:3 and the crew doesn't get a boom in the shot they work. Full Metal Jacket was shot this way but "intended" for 1.66 and 1.85:1 theatrical releases (European and Domestic). James Cameron shot Terminator open matte.

Some independant films are shot on video at 4:3. Time Code was shot in one take on 4 DV camcorders displayed simultaenously; it got cropped for the theatrical release but should be 4:3.

I always felt the same way until I bought a big widescreen tv. Widescreen movies just look tiny on a little 4:3 TV, so I always preferred 4:3 movies. But once the TV is big enough, widescreen finally looks good. Still get black bars on the top and bottom since movie theater dimensions are wider than widescreen TVs.

Dave

If you think back to the best damn film ever (Die Hard) the scene where the John McLean drops the explosives down the lift shaft and takes out a whole floor is incredible on wide screen. On, what was then, normal square TV you just saw glass and a fireball. Shot was clearly originally framed for widescreen

As I understand it part of the reason for the transition to a wider aspect ratio is because it is more natural for us to look at a wide screen based on the placement of our eyes.

which are much wider then they are tall.

It's also probably why certain screen sizes are ideal at certain distances... (i.e. watching at a 60" widescreen tv from 5 ft away would probably give someone a headache) but watching a 20" television from 20 ft away is not very practical either and may cause headaches as well...

but that's just my 0.02 dollars...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...