koppel

Thunderbow - ever jump one?

Interested to hear from people who have jumped the Thunderbow or similar. Do people know of other canopies that have similar characteristics etc. Also anyone got one I can get my hands on please.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

We have one T/bow on the DZ that I have jumped twice and it rocks. I haven't had the pleasure of a P-C yet, I look forward to it.

Just thought it would be kinda cool to do specialty jumps with two T/bow's so still looking ;)
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I had a T-bow back in the early 70's. Made a couple hundred jumps on it. Always opened softly - I only ever side packed it (flake it and pull the sleeve down without bothering to dress it).

I eventually retired it after getting my first square canopy, a strato-star in 1975 or 76.

Pic attached.

Blue Skies,

fergs

Not *quite* the same, but I jumped the Mini-Thunderbow -- Security introduced it sometime in the late 70s. I believe it was made with lo-po fabric and kevlar lines.

Here's a photo

The thing knocked me B| on my sole jump on the thing. Felt like I bent double in the harness and was sore for a week. The guy that owned it was breaking lines frequently on the thing. I'm sure he gave up on it. I would have !

shall
B|

Just ran across this post and even though no one is still monitering it, thought I'd respond. Back in the day...PC's (para commander not pilot chute!) ruled and there were a number of knock off attempts. I jumped the origiinal long line PC's and the later versions where the lines were shortened (less oscilation) and most of the copy cats....Crossbow, Thunderbow, Russian PC. The Crossbow was a glorified cheapo; the Thunderbow was OK but less drive and slower turns than a PC; and I wouldn't rate the Russian as better than the PC but I do know that I only had 4 jumps on friend's rig and logged 4 dead centers with it. As I remember, regardless of color pattern you had, they all had an arrow in the front. We always told any student that jumped it, "just follow the arrow to hit the peas". Usually they'd walk away then suddenly turn around with a "ya but..." look on their face.

Duluth

Just ran across this post and even though no one is still monitering it, thought I'd respond. Back in the day...PC's (para commander not pilot chute!) ruled and there were a number of knock off attempts. I jumped the origiinal long line PC's and the later versions where the lines were shortened (less oscilation) and most of the copy cats....Crossbow, Thunderbow, Russian PC. The Crossbow was a glorified cheapo; the Thunderbow was OK but less drive and slower turns than a PC; and I wouldn't rate the Russian as better than the PC but I do know that I only had 4 jumps on friend's rig and logged 4 dead centers with it. As I remember, regardless of color pattern you had, they all had an arrow in the front. We always told any student that jumped it, "just follow the arrow to hit the peas". Usually they'd walk away then suddenly turn around with a "ya but..." look on their face.

I still have mine...the 'Polish Parachute' because it has an arrow pointing forward. :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Mr T

Even in Ks and MO there were a few polish PC's. No disrespect intended to our polish brothers and sisters.

But the arrow was unique. At our little club we heard the tunderbow was called a polish because the arrow would point to the DZ.

Whatever, everyone was backing up most of the time anyway. So the arrow on the canopy was pointed away from the dz from where you were coming from not where you were headed.

Damn winds and a short spot:P

One Jump Wonder

I hoping to jump a thunder bow in a couple of weeks, one of the guys at a local DZ has one, they also have a round too but not sure what it is.

I've always fancied jumping an old school main I think these days we don't realise how good we have it with the modern equipment.

I've attached a picture of the thuder bow doing some CRW lol
Spank the

I have two Thunderbows in my collection. They are nice chutes but they are real dogs compared to a PC. Packing is slightly larger than a PC but not much.

They are one of those chutes that are great to bring out and jump because the arrow is always an eye catcher.