ryoder

Let's hear it for Sheriff Paul Babeu of Pinal County AZ!

Agreed. The other big issue with these cameras is that when they are used at intersections, many communities will shorten the yellow light interval, which increases accidents greatly.

Good on Sheriff Babeu! B|

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Since i don't speed, I refuse to be in a hurry for anything, i am all for it. its a great way to pay for road infrastructure and keep from raising our taxes...i'm in favor of one every 10 miles...

Instigator.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

one thought though ... is he a real cop or an elected official?

Most people who are elected Sheriff (if they're elected in AZ, I don't know) are "real cops" having been a sworn officer for a decent amount of time prior to the election

Would you elect someone to be the top cop for a county that had no LEO experience? Well, you might, but most people in the US wouldn't.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Quote:
"Meanwhile, new Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu had ended a contract with Scottsdale-based Redflex Traffic Systems Inc. to operate mobile traffic cameras in his county.

"I am against it, not only because I'm a strict constitutionalist, but I believe that the main purpose, is it's driven to create money for the government, in this budget deficit that's what the whole design is" Babeu said in a video shot by a group opposed to photo enforcement called CameraFRAUD and posted on its Web site on Friday. "It's corrupting law enforcement for us to be partnered with a private entity that creates revenue."
Bravo!

Since i don't speed, I refuse to be in a hurry for anything, i am all for it. its a great way to pay for road infrastructure and keep from raising our taxes...i'm in favor of one every 10 miles...

Are you also in favor of a small town that extends its borders a mile out into adjacent cornfields, so they can ticket unsuspecting visitors for driving over 30mph a half mile away from town?

Or how about a town that has 25 mph speed limits that drop to 15 in certain parts of town at certain times of the day?

I've been caught in both of these. They are nothing but a random motorist tax.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

What sucks about most of the red-light cameras is, as has been said, the shortening of the yellow light. Most companies who provide these systems take a cut of the fines as their payment. They require that the yellow light timing be adjusted to increase the violations and, hence, their profit. They will not provide the camera systems to any jurisdiction who refuses to adjust their "yellow light time".

While back in my hometown for the holidays, I was informed of the city's new red light cameras. I was told (but did not verify) that the city pays to a private company $1 million per year for each camera and its associated maintenance.

I doubt the resulting fines are sufficient to recoup the costs.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Mobile photo radar was abolished in British Columbia a few years back. During the debate the facts came out that over 80% of the huge amount of gross revenue it generated was chewed up in costs. When you factored in the opportunity cost of the officers involved it really didn't make sense. I am in favour of red light cameras, although I have never heard of the "shortened yellow" trick. I am also in favour of fixed photo radar at high accident locations. I do think that they should be marked as photo radar sites.

Many a Pinal County deputy sheriff has pulled over skydivers going from the Tumbleweed Inn back to the DZ. Some were pulled over heading from the Bent Prop back to their hotel. They were the coolest bunch of cops, along with the Eloy PD you could ask for. Many skydivers were let off the hook for speeding or having a few beers on board back in the day. The Eloy cops said they could fund the city budget by just stopping cars coming out of the DZ at night but never did it. Unfortunately the good sheriff will be taken to task over this statement to the press by the county Board of Supervisors.

signed,
former owner of the Bent Prop Bar and Grill. Skydive AZ.

Or how about a town that has 25 mph speed limits that drop to 15 in certain parts of town at certain times of the day?

Are you talking about school zones that have slow-downs when the kiddies are out walking to and fro? I'm all in favor of those, as long as there are appropriate signs to warn you.