missg8tordivr

Second time....

Oh yea!! Got all my tickets set to go on my second snowboarding trip ever to Colorado at the end of the month! Been skiing since I was 13, but as I got older it started to really hurt my knees. Snowboarding addressed that issue, but now I have to learn to stay off my ass and not break my wrists when I try to catch myself! :S

Any suggestions?!

:P
F LORIDA!

Pillows strapped to your ass, knees, elbows and head. :P

Edited to add: The last time I went skiing, at Kirkwood, CA when I visited my brother, I used my ol' Factory Diver, sans face shield, and my ski goggles fit in there perfectly. Really kept my head warm and safe, and I wiped out a couple times.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

but now I have to learn to stay off my ass and not break my wrists when I try to catch myself!

I dunno, I didn't try to catch myself and I still broke my wrists! :S Wrist guards might have helped, maybe someone can throw in their two cents on whether they really help that much or not.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

but now I have to learn to stay off my ass and not break my wrists when I try to catch myself!

I dunno, I didn't try to catch myself and I still broke my wrists! :S Wrist guards might have helped, maybe someone can throw in their two cents on whether they really help that much or not.

I think that I will bring wrist guards this time. I just find it really hard to not put my hands out when I fall...the only thing that would get me to stop doing that is shock therapy :S
F LORIDA!

It is always better to fall uphill... and NEVER fall downhill.

That was something I always used to teach... walk up to the student and push them over... once they got their ski's or boards on..

EVENTUALLY... they stopped thinking I was actually trying to teach them how not to break themselves.

Think about what has better padding.. your ass.... or your face.

Trust me... falling on your ass is far safer;)

Good luck and have fun...

I think that I will bring wrist guards this time. I just find it really hard to not put my hands out when I fall...the only thing that would get me to stop doing that is shock therapy :S

Try Judo classes. They teach you how to fall without hurting yourself, first before teaching you anything else. I took it in college and learned a lot. At the end of the semester, we had a competition where everybody takes turn taking a running start then leaping over a crouched person, then doing a rolling landing touching hand, arm, shoulder, side, hip, knee and bounce back up to a standing position. The second go-around started with two people crouched side by side that you had to leap over, then 3, then 4, and so on, and if you failed to clear them you were out. I made it to the 9th round and there were just 3 of us still going, but that last one hurt. I knew I wasn't going to clear the last guy (always the teacher) and stuck my hand on his back in an effort to keep from crashing on top of him and crashed to the mat just beyond. Nothing broken, just sore. :D

It's been 17 years since that class, and I still use some elements of the technique when I fall unexpectedly.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Try Judo classes. They teach you how to fall without hurting yourself, first before teaching you anything else. I took it in college and learned a lot. At the end of the semester, we had a competition where everybody takes turn taking a running start then leaping over a crouched person, then doing a rolling landing touching hand, arm, shoulder, side, hip, knee and bounce back up to a standing position. The second go-around started with two people crouched side by side that you had to leap over, then 3, then 4, and so on, and if you failed to clear them you were out. I made it to the 9th round and there were just 3 of us still going, but that last one hurt. I knew I wasn't going to clear the last guy (always the teacher) and stuck my hand on his back in an effort to keep from crashing on top of him and crashed to the mat just beyond. Nothing broken, just sore. :D

It's been 17 years since that class, and I still use some elements of the technique when I fall unexpectedly.

Would be willing to try this...but don't think I have enough time. 16 days...and counting! ;)
F LORIDA!

I can give you tons of pointers if you want..I taught and competed for years. Just PM me.
The best thing to do is just take a lesson when you get there. The trick to free lessons is watch where the line up is(where the instructors gather) and look for a tadpole in the line up. Then go up to him flirt a little and offer beer for a few pointers. More than likely you will get the lesson for free..
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

When Bruce Johnson was teaching us how to snowboard, he started with how to fall. He had us make a fist and punch the ground as we hit, we did this many, many, many times. He said you will break your wrist if you hit palms first, knuckles first is a straight shot. I only went snowboarding that one time but I got a lot of practice not breaking myself.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I can give you tons of pointers if you want..I taught and competed for years. Just PM me.
The best thing to do is just take a lesson when you get there. The trick to free lessons is watch where the line up is(where the instructors gather) and look for a tadpole in the line up. Then go up to him flirt a little and offer beer for a few pointers. More than likely you will get the lesson for free..

PM sent!

True...who can resist :D for a few pointers?! I will keep an eye out for them on the slopes! ;)
F LORIDA!

The trick about not braking your wrist is to fall on your forearms(make two fists tightening your upper body, bring your arms towards your chest) pulling your head back so you dont smack it on the snow. I never used wrist guards cause I never put my wrist/hands down when falling. The above works well. It saved me many times and was part of PSIA(it is now USIA i think) when falling backwards tuck your chin to your chest and bring your hands to your chest as well.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Learn to snowboard with a straightjacket... :)
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I remember on my last trip that I had my opposite foot forward from what normal people do....same with water skiing, right foot forward. Is there a way to make sure that is the correct foot?

Also, which foot does the steering??

It has been three years! I am hoping that I can pick it back up quickly...but may spend the first day on my ass. [:/]

F LORIDA!

I remember on my last trip that I had my opposite foot forward from what normal people do....same with water skiing, right foot forward. Is there a way to make sure that is the correct foot?

Also, which foot does the steering??

It has been three years! I am hoping that I can pick it back up quickly...but may spend the first day on my ass. [:/]

When I water skied I had my right foot forward because my strong leg was my left. But I am weird. I snowboard regular and skateboarded dog(that is where you push with your front foot). More than likely you will snowboard the same as you water ski. So right foot forward.

As far as steering, you initiate everything from the front at your level. Do not use you back foot. Rear steering is a corrective move.

If you are right foot forward going down the slope you will look and point in the direction you want to go. At the same time squating down with knees only(turning left)you will dig your toes down with just a bit more wt on the right foot and lift your heels up. The more you squat and bend your knees the easier the turn. Rise up(stand up) and the board by itself will start to head down the slope. Count to three look point in the other direction, squat down digging your heels in the snow and lifting you toes. Remember to keep your back straight and upper body movement quiet.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

Wake up....eat breakfast........dress warm!!!!

Go back to room and get EXTREAMLY STONED!!!!

That way when you break yourself in the cold ass snow at least it won't hurt and hell you may get a laugh out of it!!!:S

.......I hereby reject your reality and instead choose to insert my own!

Wake up....eat breakfast........dress warm!!!!

Go back to room and get EXTREAMLY STONED!!!!

That way when you break yourself in the cold ass snow at least it won't hurt and hell you may get a laugh out of it!!!:S

Okay rule number 1!
Pot doesn't help you so you can't feel the pain when you get hurt. Trust me, I have been there and back a few times. I was a pot smoking snow bum for years. Nothing better on a powder day then smoking a bowl on the lift and then making a few runs in a few ft of fresh. Now a few shot and a couple beers, that can mask the pain.:P

Make sure you know how to ride before adding more to the mix..;)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1

I'll finally do some Colorado boarding In Feb.

Its been about 100 years since Ive been so I cant wait
where are you going? what slope?

I'm still trying to figure out where I'll be going.

Heading to Steam Boat, Winter Park, and Copper Mountain I believe. Coming back on the 1st.....
F LORIDA!

Cool. Sounds like it'll be a two week trip? not bad.

I miss taking vacations. :D

I am going on a four day trip to las vegas (I used to live there) for a boogie. but the drive is 12 hours and I am NOT looking fwd to it.
Specially since I just drove to and from Texas last month for "work."

When I finally get to take leave in Feb it will be a local thing and lots of fun I hope with minimal driving.

My photos

My Videos