RALFFERS

Should I worry?

Do you any of you this is fishy? This is a question I just received from a potential eBay buyer.

Do you accept local pick up and credit card via paypal as well? And does it have hdmi input? Can you flash the console?

Is there a difference between a regular payment via Paypal, and 1 involving a credit card? Can he pull some scam that I'm not thinking of this way? Like stop the money, or get it back once I have it by filing a complaint with Paypal, knowing I have no proof of shipment because it was a local pickup. I mean he could just say he never got the item. Call me paranoid, but...

The other thing is - I'm not sure how I feel about a complete stranger coming to my house. For all I know, he's coming to scope out my house so he can burglarize it later.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Local pickup doesn't have to mean "at your house." It could be a mutually agreeable public location.

Re: Credit cards with Paypal - I believe (though I haven't checked in a while) that funds transfer from a checking account (echecks) has a significantly lower cost/transaction than a credit card transaction. That could be what he's asking about.

I wouldn't assume it's a scam.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Local pickup doesn't have to mean "at your house." It could be a mutually agreeable public location.

Its not smart to have someone like this come to your house. You never know people's true intentions. The buyer may be 100% on the up and up; however, I prefer to meet people away from my house. Local coffee shops are good.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have made many friends on this site, most of which I've already met. No reason that shouldn't continue; I have no problem meeting people from here. :)

He's most likely cash challenged and needs to use his credit card I would get him to sign a biil of sale with you for your protection. Paypal is there to protect both of you. I have used it many times like this from both selling and buying.

Meet him somewhere public.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Is a bill of sale something I can draft on my own, or does it have t be officially and created by some authority?

You can buy one at any office supply store. In the stationery department.

The signatures make it official.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Remeber that paypal protection does NOT cover transactions that were not sent to a confirmed mailing address.

If you do a local pickup and he disputes the transaction you can loose your paypal payment.

Happened to a friend of mine when he sold a dirtbike, took payment via paypal with local pickup then the paypal account turned out to be hacked. They rescinded the paypal transfer despite the fact that he had already transferred it from his paypal account to his bank.
It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the sudden stops!

That's one I hadn't heard of. The sellers I have had problems with have always been able to provide there side of the story and any supporting documentation. Not doubting your friend just hadn't heard of that happening. As a seller I have never had any problems but I didn't do a private pick up.

I guess if the buyer has to use his CC then he could get a cash advance off of it.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Is a bill of sale something I can draft on my own, or does it have t be officially and created by some authority?

Anybody can make a bill of sale. All that needs to be on the paper is:

I, ________, hereby sell __________ to _____________ for $____ on this date ______

Signed

Seller ________________
Buyer_________________

Something like that. Worked for me every time I bought a used car from somebody that wasn't a dealer. If it's not by cash, then you should specify on the bill of sale how it was paid for.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I, ________, hereby sell __________ to _____________ for $____ on this date ______

Signed

Seller ________________
Buyer_________________

Something like that. Worked for me every time I bought a used car from somebody that wasn't a dealer. If it's not by cash, then you should specify on the bill of sale how it was paid for.

It's also not a bad idea to have 2 copies of it...one for you and one for him.

Signed

Seller ________________
Buyer_________________

It's also not a bad idea to have 2 copies of it...one for you and one for him.

Thank you. I forgot to mention that. I usually have two printed copies which are both signed by both of us.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Remeber that paypal protection does NOT cover transactions that were not sent to a confirmed mailing address.

That's why on transactions in person, like when I sold my truck, I requested a state or federal issued ID or DL. I then wrote the information down, name, address, DOB and DL# so I can file charges if I get screwed.

For over the internet sales, like the last two canopies I've sold, I get references (and contact them prior to the sell) so I can track people down if I get screwed.

Basically, if I don't personally know you and my property or money is on the line, I don't trust you until you prove your trust worthiness at the end of the transaction.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Signed

Seller ________________
Buyer_________________

probably wont hurt to add a drivers license number

and make sure its HIS drivers license

so if he does burn you and run, they know who he is
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

That's why on transactions in person, like when I sold my truck, I requested a state or federal issued ID or DL. I then wrote the information down, name, address, DOB and DL# so I can file charges if I get screwed.

For over the internet sales, like the last two canopies I've sold, I get references (and contact them prior to the sell) so I can track people down if I get screwed.

Basically, if I don't personally know you and my property or money is on the line, I don't trust you until you prove your trust worthiness at the end of the transaction.

fuck, you beat me to it
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

After thinking about it & taking all the good advice from all of you into consideration, I decided not to do local pickup - mainly because I wouldn't be protected by Paypal's buyer protection program, neither would the buyer for that matter.

Thank you to all for the great input. :)