Cari

Anyone taken the LSAT?

I just registered to take it in June and I'm terrified already. I usually don't get scared of tests, but I don't even know what to expect. I've been looking around for books and such that can help, but there are so many and I don't know which ones are worthwhile and which ones are a waste of money. Any suggestions?

One of my girlfriends has been studying for months to take it next month. She said its a lot of work but I bet if you want something bad enough, are dedicated and focused you'll be okay.

Study, study and study some more!

Congratulations on having the courage to make a positive step in your life! Good luck!
Always be kinder than you feel.

I've taken it and it is not that bad at all. I picked up a book in Barnes and Noble but I can't remember which one off hand. I studied for a few days before hand and that was about it. It is a test of logic and reading comprehension. I'm not a sadist or anything, but I sort of enjoyed the test. It was fun working though all the puzzles.

There are several prep courses available, but before you sign up for one, pick up a book with a sample test in it and see how well you do on it. Study for a week and take another test to see how much you improve on your own.

Good luck and don't stress!!!

Took it in 2002.

The LSAC has a free sample LSAT available on their website at http://www.lsac.org/LSAT/lsat-prep-materials.asp.

My recommendation would be to take the sample test first, to get an idea of where you are (it's an actual LSAT from June 2007, so it's a good gauge). You'll see what areas you're good at and what areas need improvement. You'll then be able to tailor your studying to that section. There are specific books to help with each section.

I'd also recommend taking a practice LSAT at least a couple times a week, both to see if you're improving in whatever area you're working on, and to make sure you can still do the areas you're good at. Plus, if the LSAT makes you nervous, this is a way to get into the routine of taking it, so on test day, it's familiar to you. You can buy actual past LSATs from the LSAC (or somewhere, I forget where). Figure out a schedule and buy however many past exams you'll need to stick to it.

And finally, I'd recommend you actually take a break when practicing the LSAT. If I remember right, in the actual test, you do three sections, then take a break and do two more. You'll only have four sections in the actual exams, but take that break after the third section. I found that I actually got one or two more questions right if I did this, instead of powering through and doing all four sections in one sitting.

Good luck!

I have not and will not EVER take the LSAT. However, I have taken the GMAT and really think that the Princeton Review offers the best preparation material. I looked at Kaplan's prep book and one other, but the Princeton Review was by far the best.

Best of luck! The GMAT was no fun, I can only imagine how much fun the LSAT is.:S

It's been over a decade, but I took it. I agree with what was said - take a sample first to assess yourself.

Then take a class. I took Kaplan. I think classes rarely can hurt. If anything else it gets you more comfortable with the test and the process.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I just ordered some practice tests from the LSAC. They're $8 each and come with the answer key and explanations of the answers. I figure at least I'll have an idea of what to expect. It's the not knowing that wreaks havoc on my nerves.

I really am not sure how much studying alot for these test will significantly improve your results.

I took my GMAT (which is probably more similar than different to the LSAT) without studying much (only did the practice test a couple times to get used to the format since I have never taken standardized tests) and did OK (got 660, or 86th percentile). I wasnt looking to get into a top school, so was happy with it.

My manager wanted to get into one of the top MBA schools, so took it once with the same level of practice I had, and scored a 690. he wasnt happy with that, so he spent 3 months studying alot, going through a few practice books, etc. He took the test again, and got 700. He did get into Wharton in the end.
Remster

It's been over a decade, but I took it. I agree with what was said - take a sample first to assess yourself.

Then take a class. I took Kaplan. I think classes rarely can hurt. If anything else it gets you more comfortable with the test and the process.

Agreed, on all points. Taking as many practice exams as you can helps in any standardized test, which is precisely why most exam producers try to convince you otherwise.

I also took Kaplan before my LSAT. Not only does it give you lots of practice , but the coaches, who've taken it themselves, talk you through effective test-taking strategies, that do make a difference.

I've taken Regents Exams in NY State during high school (lots of practice exams in class); SAT & ACT without a review course; LSAT after taking Kaplan, and different states' bar exams both with and without advance review courses - so I have a good basis of comparison. For me, the advance courses definitely helped.

(I still remember in the "official" literature published by the LSAT producers they specifically said that "their studies showed" that taking a practice course probably would not make much of a difference. What a crock.)

I don't think "studying" is helpful. What I found helpful was "practicing.". The more you practice and the more you know about it the more comfortable you'll be.

It's like studying for a crossword puzzle - doing them over and over simply allows you to know the patterns and become comfortable with them.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I registered for it shortly before I took the exam, so I didn't really have a chance to study or take a class... I think I did an online three hour test strategy thing. If you like logic puzzles, the test isn't that bad. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting a book and practicing the problems, and maybe taking an in-person review class to give you some strategies as to how to approach the test.

For me, the classes did absolutely nothing. I thought they were a waste of money. (I took the Princeton Review). There are plenty of books out there that can coach you through the process of learning how to take the exam.