NewGuy2005

Question about being a foreign exchange student

My kids are interested in being foreign exchange students. The U.S. State Department lists almost 100 organizations involved in this pursuit.

I've hit a couple of websites, but they appear to be more like for-profit travel agencies rather than non-profit organizations involved in cultural exchange.

Is there anyone here that has experience in this area?

Hey, but you are talking about studying abroad or work and travel program during vacation between semesters on studies?

For high school students, I think the typical routine is to spend 11th grade at a host country's high school.

I may have that wrong. That's one of the things I'm trying to learn: What is the "standard operating procedure."

sorry, for high school students i have no idea how it looks like. I am from Poland and i was on Work and Travel program in States, and i know only procedure about this program.
And i thought that you are also from other country.

No problem. Thanks for responding.

I experienced both Rotary during high school, and AFS after for first year of college. Out of 20 of us, at least 3 or 4 went home early with AFS (to Costa Rica). We were miserable and a lot had problems with their host families. An ex-gf went to Argentina with AFS and had a similar experience. I would highly recommend steering clear of them.

For high school I went with Rotary. I stayed with 5 different families, which added a bit of stress having to move around. Out of 5, only 1 was completely miserable. Everyone I spoke to seemed to have a very positive experience, and I don't know anyone from our group that went home early. I actually went last week to visit, and there are some great bonds that still last 12 years later.

They do have middle of the summer programs. If they are interested in learning a culture though, the year is really the way to go if you think they can handle it...that's when you really get to "live" in a place and experience it.

Also, for language it makes a HUGE difference. A few weeks is not enough to learn a language really well, regardless of how many classes someone has had. I get a kick out of people who say "I lived in xyz," and then say, "yeah for 5 weeks." That's an extended vacation. There is so much more to learn and opportunity to grow other than in the culture and language. Staying for a few weeks just doesn't do it. Someone I knew went to be a nanny in France last year. She came back after only a few months, after saying that she was going for a "minimum of a year" and really didn't know when she would come back. She came back saying that she had "lived there". I supported her after her decision, but as she was making it, all I could say was "you are leaving when you have just started to live there". Making it through those challenging times is part of the game.

Anyway, assuming that I could find someone who would reproduce with me, I plan on sending a child on an exchange program. It's a huge learning experience and so valuable.

-S

To second Steve above (awesome - didn't know you were a rotary exchange student), I would emphasize rotary. My foster dad has been in rotary for over twenty years and my foster parents have hosted at least 15 students, while meeting countless more due to being heavily involved in district activities. I have met many of the students and visited them in Europe as well. I know in the local NorCal rotary clubs, students (those visiting America) usually have three families, which usually works out great. With my foster parents, many times the other families are ones that they know well already.