akarunway

Need math whizzes

What is the surface area of a sphere 17' in diameter? What is the volume of a sphere 15' in diameter. I have the formulas but the math ain't jibbing. HELP
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

What is the surface area of a sphere 17' in diameter? What is the volume of a sphere 15' in diameter. I have the formulas but the math ain't jibbing. HELP

Area of a Spehere 17' in diameter is 106.76 feet
Volume of a Spehere 15' in diameter is 31.4 cubic feet
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

nope.

V= 4/3pi(7.5)^3 = Approx 1767.141 cuft
SA = 4pi (8.5)^2 = 907.92 sqft

nope.

nope

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

nope.

Ooopsss.... you are right, I left out the exponentials on both calculations.
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Not cubic or square FEET. It's Cu or Sq INCHES.

EDIT: I didn't check the calcs. Just noticed the in/ft typo or whatever....

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

What do you make it then?

Just checked the calcs.

For volume I get 1,767 cu in: 4/3(pi)(r^3) = (1.33)(3.142)(7.5^3) = (1.33)(3.142)(422) = ~1767 cu in

For surface area I get 908 sq in: 4(pi)(r^2) = (4)(3.142)(8.5^2) = (4)(3.142)(72.25) = ~908 sq in

-NickDG

What do you make it then?

Just checked the calcs.

For volume I get 1,767 cu in: 4/3(pi)(r^3) = (1.33)(3.142)(7.5^3) = (1.33)(3.142)(422) = ~1767 cu in

For surface area I get 908 sq in: 4(pi)(r^2) = (4)(3.142)(8.5^2) = (4)(3.142)(72.25) = ~908 sq in

Nope.

This ' designates feet, this " designates inches. The OP's question as stated is about feet. If you're going to be a pedant, do not be wrong.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Original units by the OP are in feet, not inches. also the volume calculation you did was for a 17' sphere. OP spec'd a 15' sphere.

Additionally -- pie are NOT square.. pie are ROUND. CORNBREAD are square. I thought I'd be first to point that out since it will inevitably be mentioned in this thread anyway.

Original units by the OP are in feet, not inches. also the volume calculation you did was for a 17' sphere. OP spec'd a 15' sphere.

Additionally -- pie are NOT square.. pie are ROUND. CORNBREAD are square. I thought I'd be first to point that out since it will inevitably be mentioned in this thread anyway.

Oops. You guys are right - OP was feet. I can't read. Time for a brew:|

-NickDG

ummmmmmmmm Pie

:D:D:D

I didn't expect to see this type of reply. Its the first thing I saw when I came back to check the staus of this thread and it caught me by suprise.

:D

don't know why its so funny to me....i'm in hysterics over here...maybe because I'm picturing Homer Simpson saying it...
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Oops. You guys are right - OP was feet. I can't read. Time for a brew:|

:) That'w why you guys need to convert to SI Units (There's a thread in the Dark Side forum).;)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

CORNBREAD are square. I thought I'd be first to point that out since it will inevitably be mentioned in this thread anyway.

cornbread can be round when baked it in a round pan like i do

but what is really makin' me wonder is: how does a cubic foot fit into a sphere, wouldn't the corners pop the sphere?
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.