skybytch

played it til my fingers bled...

Well, okay, maybe not until they bled, but they do hurt quite a bit...

After four years of missing the guitar that I got, didn't play much and then tossed out sopping wet when I was in Florida, I've finally replaced it. And even better, I replaced it for damn near nothin'!

There is an active freecycling community in the town I live in (if you don't know about freecycling, check out freecycle.org). I put up a request for a musical instrument; within two days I had a nice classical guitar that needed only a new set of strings (which set me back a whopping $8, installed).

I've had it for a bit over a week now. I already know six chords, can go between A and D without a pause and today I learned the basic structure of "Horse with no name." :)
Doubt I'll ever be more than a hack, but it sure is fun to mess around with. Even if it does make my fingertips hurt. :D

btw, all you guitar players... it takes about a month for the calluses to build up, right?

Wow...sounds like a good deal to me. I just wish you had said something earlier. I've got an Ovation Custom Legend that is brand new - only played a couple of times - and then sat in a corner in the case for over four years, waiting for someone to come along really wanting to learn. And just for you, it wouldn't have cost anything except maybe shipping. I guess it's time to break it out and play it, lol.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

Have you seen Shine a light? I watched it the other night and was thinking that Ron and Keith looked oh so cool as compared to Mick strutting around like a chicken! Keep on going...you've always been cool, but being a guitarist will make you even more so. B|;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Keep on going...you've always been cool, but being a guitarist will make you even more so. B|;)

Will you still think that if she says the next song she learns is Whip it from Devo? or never gonna give you up be rick ashley?
My photos

My Videos

Hi sky,
Funny thing you should mention that!! Just last month before Christmas I broke out my old vintage Yamahaw FG-140 Standard Steel 6-string and put new strings on, tuned it up and yup, "Soft finger tips!!" Gotta play for a while. Took out my old books and notes of songs and started "Hacking" at it again!! E-A-E-B7-A-E da' Bluz!! I can go on, just have to break out of the chords and treck into the single notes .. Play on Gypsys!!

BTW If we can learn a song or two, we can try to get kicked off the stage at open mic jam night at Big Harrys' in Fayetteville!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

btw, all you guitar players... it takes about a month for the calluses to build up, right?

*** It's alot like masturbating in that regard

Depends on how often you play and for how long. After a long break, I'll play until my fingers hurt daily. Callouses build on my fingers pretty quick and I usually have 'em built up pretty good after about 2 weeks. Once you stop though, they don't take long to want to come off.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I've always had an interest in music but it was listening to Harley at Perris that finally got me fired up enough to pick up an instrument. For all his problems that ultimately led to his death Harley was incredibly talented . . .

I've been playing a couple of years now and I can kinda keep up and even yell "Woo Hoo!" once in a while.

So now all we need is a drummer and another guitar player and we can start touring DZs.

********"ONE NIGHT ONLY"************
SKYBYTCH & THE FABULOUS LACKLUSTERS !!!

(We'll also need some chicken wire to ward off the flying beer bottles)

NickD :)

Well, okay, maybe not until they bled, but they do hurt quite a bit...

Ok, if they are even close to bleeding, you need to replace B.O.B. B|

Very cool Lisa. Very cool.

I've wanted to play something, anything, since I was in single digits. Never had the chance. My parents couldn't even afford the instrument rental for school band equipment. I have somewhat thin and long fingers, considered my many I've spoken too to be ideal for tickling the ivorys.

I have an early 1900's D.W. Karn upright piano that I finally managed to get close to in tune. I'm now stumbling to get through the basic notes, scales, and chords. I know I'll never be a virtuoso, but I really do want to learn to play well. I've always had a passion for music.

The biggest stumbling block for me is that with zero formal musical training, I've never learned to read music. God I wish I would have. Things get harder to pick up as we ripen.

Once I'm pretty decent at hacking though a few songs, I'm going to get some formal lessons. I'm not about to pay for someone to teach me when it's essentialy repeating the same notes and scales over and over until they become natural and second nature. [:/]
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Congrats Lisa, that's awesome! Like the first poster, you have given me some inspiration! I have a beautiful Takamine 12 string that has been dormant for years, but still has a place in the living room daring me to pick it up again.

On a different note, please, please, stay away from the "forbidden 3". "Cat Scratch Fever", Stairway to Heaven", and "Smoke On the Water". I worked in a music shop for a number of years, and still can hear every mangled version of those songs played by prospective guitar owners you can imagine!;)B|:)

On a different note, please, please, stay away from the "forbidden 3". "Cat Scratch Fever", Stairway to Heaven", and "Smoke On the Water".

The first two I guarantee I'll stay away from (never was a Nugent fan and Stairway is just.... overdone), but the bass line from Smoke on The Water is like the only thing I can really play :D

I put smooth wounds on my bass, and they are baby ass smooth - not sure if they have those for regular g-tars.

BTW, I can back ya and lay it down on Smoke on the Water . . .

Music theory kicked my ass until I realized there was no "H" in music and A-B-C-D-G just kept repeating . . .

NickD:)

Hey, you guys were right. Play it often enough and the fingers don't hurt nearly as much.

Only been a couple weeks and I can already play "Horse with no name" (easy... two chords...). Started working on "Wish you were here" today and it's already almost recognizable as a song this evening. :ph34r: