domFF

Mirage's Unisyn Harness Rocks!

I just wanted to let you all know that I am really surprised by the fit of my G4! I put around 50 jumps on my new G4 and I am 100 percent satisfied! The harness fits perfectly and moves with me no matter which position I am flying due to its improved geometry. It really fits like a glove, I am really happy with it, thanks Mirage, thanks Ward!

I attached a pic of me and my teammate over Empuriabrava, Spain. As you can see, my harness stays in place 100 percent. My teammate's rig is a Odyssey, same container size, also brandnew an custom made.

Blue skies and safe landings

Dom

Looks like it's pulled the hip rings around toward the back and is catching a whole lot of air.

Looks like a shorter MLW might help to pull it back in a little. I think the MLW measurement becomes critical on fully articulated harnesses beacuse they are so flexible.

I just wanted to let you all know that I am really surprised by the fit of my G4! I put around 50 jumps on my new G4 and I am 100 percent satisfied! The harness fits perfectly and moves with me no matter which position I am flying due to its improved geometry. It really fits like a glove, I am really happy with it, thanks Mirage, thanks Ward!

I attached a pic of me and my teammate over Empuriabrava, Spain. As you can see, my harness stays in place 100 percent. My teammate's rig is a Odyssey, same container size, also brandnew an custom made.

Who exactly does your harness "fit like a glove?" It fits whoever is in the pic pretty poorly. [:/]

Whoe exactly does your harness "fit like a glove?" It fits whoever is in the pic pretty poorly. [:/]

The juxtaposition of the photo and the post is hilarious. Made my day. :S:ph34r:
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Hi All,

I just figured I would chime in on this one and give some food for thought.

Contrary to most jumpers beliefs, inset stabilizers do not hold the rig tighter to the jumpers back?

The intention of inset stabilizers (cut-in laterals) was originally designed for very thin people with wide rigs. Under a standard stabilizer configuration the stabilizer (lateral) attaches from the main lift web to the outside corner of the main container. Now let's say the jumper is a very small girl and is for conversation's sake, 14" wide. And lets say her rig is 20" wide. The rig is 6" wider than her body so her main lift webs attach from the outside corner of the main tray and then run inwards towards her body to the main lift web. That rig can now shift left to right on the jumpers back the distance of that gap. Making the rig feel loose on the jumpers back.

So.......out came inset stabilizers (cut-in laterals). The stabilizers attach in towards the jumpers small of the back and wrap the jumper where my love handles would be. The rig is not being pulled into the jumpers back any tighter but can no longer shift left to right, causing it to feel tighter or a better fit.

Ok, next point........

Stick with me here. When you are measured for your rig you are measured in a standing position. Before the invent of freeflying 99% of the time you were in an arched position. If you stand straight up and down and the rig is snug to your back that is a good fit. If you can imagine in your mind, if you were to arch, then the leg straps rotate forward as you arch. The stabilizers are attached to the same junction that your leg straps and your main lift web is. When your leg straps rotate forward then the stabilizers are pulled towards the front of the jumper with the rotation causing the rig to be pulled in tighter to the jumpers back.

Ok, now to my point......with the geometry of a harness, the same thing goes when you de-arch. (sit-fly). Wouldn't you agree that when you sit-fly you are de-arching? When you bring your knees to your chest the leg straps rotate towards the rear of the jumpers body which lets the junction travel towards the rear of the jumper allowing the stabilizers to go slack or the rig to gap off the jumpers back. It is not a flaw, it is just the geometry of the harness and what happens when it is moved in that manner.

So with standard stabilizers or even inset stabilizers you really only have two options..., have a rig that fits comfortably snug while arching and standing and then get loose on your lower back while de-arching. Or you can have a rig that is a bit too snug while arching or standing but comfortably snug when you de-arch. (sit-fly)

We at Mirage really didn't want to produce inset stabilizers because of this reason but we did per customer demand only. We feel that it is not the best answer to the problem nor the best design by any means. We feel that there is a much better solution to the problem which brings me to the third option. There is a third option and to avoid advertising on here if you would like info on it you can check out an article on it in our newsletter here, or contact me directly.

http://www.miragesys.com/Newsletters/MNL061605.htm

But in this case DomFF loves the fit of his rig and it feels secure on his body when he flies so he decided to be kind enough to take the time to put his appreciation into words on dropzone.com. As a manufacturer it is nice to hear from the 90% of people who are happy with their rigs for a change over the 10% who aren't.

In the picture that he posted the rig and the harness are doing exactly what can be expected when flying in that orientation.

It seems to me that he just posted a pic showing the articulated harness moving with his body and not binding or bending in places as the other non-articulated harness is. Or maybe showing that the lower ring junction is at a perfect middle point where the legs and the upper body pivot in comparison to the lower position on the other harness where only the legs can pivot.

So his harness probably fits him great and he loves it, give the guy a break, no need to flame him over it and just thought I would give some food for thought on it.

ward

I'm not saying that its supposed to stick out that far, but rather that there is no way to alleviate the problem with standard or inset stabilizer designs.

My rig fits me perfectly, in fact a little too snug in the stabilizers, but it still gaps off my back in a sit-fly or de-arched position. My current rig has inset stabilizers, it will be the last one. My next will definately be the elastic lumbar support.

DomFF's rig probably fits him wonderfully though I will admit, other than showing that the unisyn harness isn't binding and flows freely with the jumpers body and its position, or how it pivots at the right point at his hips, its not the best picture in the world to show a good fit.

I'd like to see a picture of how the rig fits in a standing or arching position on the ground just for the sake of argument.

Does any other dz.commers feel that their rig is a good fit but still have it gap in a sit because of this? Just curious as to some feedback

I'm not saying that its supposed to stick out that far, but rather that there is no way to alleviate the problem with standard or inset stabilizer designs.

I'm not sure I agree. Did you see how well the Javelin Odessey fit his teammate? Apparently Sun Path has found a way to alleviate the problem.

For Great Deals on Gear

...or else he just happens to have a different body type, where the problem isn't as pronounced.

I can completely crawl out of my Mirage with every strap tightened down rock solid, but not everyone can do that. It depends on your body type.

...or else his teammate's is a little snug when standing/arching, meaning that it fits perfectly when sitflying

Perhaps, but doubtful since all measurements are taken while standing, and freeflyers and RW flyers like the Odyssey equally well. Maybe the Odyssey has superior harness geometry.

For Great Deals on Gear

Thanks for your thoughts and inputs, guys.

I didnt want to make this a Mirage vs Odyssey thread, I think there are enoughg. My G4 fits me perfect while standing or on my belly an even in any other position. Please, take al look at the containers, they are both sticking out quite a bit, but if you look at the webbing, thats what I was talking about. Look at the legstraps, mine do not slip in any way an my mlw does not flex or bend (sorry, if I am using the wrong words here, I am from Germany), when you look at my teammates cutaway handle, you can see the webbing bend. I had an Odyssey before (custom made, similar picture wihle taking the same kind of grip) and I loved it.
If you take a look at the picture again, its not the easiest position for a rig to follow. The upper body is twisted towards the hand that takes the grip while the other hand goes backwards. I think its just a tricky position for any rig.
Thanks Ward for your useful input. I think the point of what rig fits good is mainly set by the feel it creates and my G4 just feels great. Thank you all again.

Dom

...or else his teammate's is a little snug when standing/arching, meaning that it fits perfectly when sitflying

Perhaps, but doubtful since all measurements are taken while standing, and freeflyers and RW flyers like the Odyssey equally well. Maybe the Odyssey has superior harness geometry.

I doubt it. Look at the lateral and MLW on the Jav and you see that it's distorted and just a far off the jumpers lower back, but the illusion is that the jumpers sweat shirt is filling the gap. The Jav jumper is also leaning foward, and his shoulder being rolled foward is pulling the rig up and in towards his back. The Mirage jumper is leaning his shoulders back (a great tunnel sit position BTW) and thus gaping the rig at his lower back. Both rigs are pretty well fit.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I doubt it. Look at the lateral and MLW on the Jav and you see that it's distorted and just a far off the jumpers lower back, but the illusion is that the jumpers sweat shirt is filling the gap.

Perhaps...just goes to show, Nothing Fits Like a Racer!!!!!!!:P;)

For Great Deals on Gear

We must be looking at two different pictures because clearly the geometry of the Javelin is more correct than the Mirage. In addition, if you look at where the hip ring is on the Javelin you can see that when he is under canopy he will be in far more comfortable position.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!