wmw999

The secret to business success

Show up when you say you're going to. Call if for some reason you can't. It's not that fucking hard.

I think this is a hot button for me :P; it's probably the third thread I've started about people who don't show up for the appointment. But it's not just the third time it's happened.

Someday the carpet will be installed. Maybe Thursday. Memo to self: hold breath.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've heard it said that 90% of success is showing up on time. ;)

Some of the construction trades are notorious for being full of flakes, i.e. carpet guys, painters, sheetrockers . . .

For all of you out there in the construction business, I'm not saying you all are unreliable. But you know there are plenty of bad examples.;)

that is why they are called "independent contractors"

they can't work for anyone else because they are unreliable and get fired

always include a performance clause in the contract with financial penalties, had my house reroofed this year - only paid 50% of the quote - showed up late, took an extra day and left trash in the yard

yes there are good contractors but seem slike there are more bad ones
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Show up when you say you're going to. Call if for some reason you can't. It's not that fucking hard.

I think this is a hot button for me :P; it's probably the third thread I've started about people who don't show up for the appointment. But it's not just the third time it's happened.

Someday the carpet will be installed. Maybe Thursday. Memo to self: hold breath.

Wendy W.

I am here, that wasn't too fucking hard ! LOL ... Yes, I agree with you ... while I might be transaction-tolerant for lateness... once you the person shows up late, there will be no second opportunity to be "fashionably late".... I have a reputation for being too early
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

be consistant
be honest
be considerite

Make NO appointmnet, promise, or claim that you Can't keep...

If you are bad at remembering such things, then write them down...

Never try to prove your business acumen, with words..... prove it with actions, professional service, and behavior.
Look a person square in the eyes when you meet and shake their hand.
Smile, and speak to them BY NAME...
Use statements of fact,,, to point out how the customer will BENEFIT... by your product, or services, then deliver whatever you have offered.

the most useful tool i have in my truck, is the cell phone. I will call, well ahead of time , if i cannot keep a pre-made appointment.

better yet. try to stay away from hard and fast appointment time frames. rather ask the client, what day of the week or time of the day works best for THEM.. make a note of it, and then call during those time frames,, to ask, "Can i meet with you, say, in the next half hour or so,,,"?

another good tip for business success???
NEVER use income, deposit, or down payment from ONE job,,, to pay the Bills against ANother job...
If you screwed up the pricing, then do NOT take a paycheck from that job, unless and until ALL the expenses against that job, have been paid.....
it's a bad practice to think that YOUR paycheck,,, supercedes paying the other bills first...
experience, a reasonable amount of smarts, and working hard WILL generally result in there being enough $$$$ left over , to cover your salary...
return calls, price your services and products the SAME,,,, to everyone. Never push your prices for one area, or one customer, due to a perceived abilty to pay, or not to pay. It's far easier to remember ONE set of numbers, as compared to trying to remember WHO you told WHAT...
... as to the unscrupulous rip off artists or those who charge outrageous fees.... sooner or later the customer base will abandon them, and continue to look around , until they find something better,,,, THEN they will tell others about it.

signed,
something better...;)

jmy

For me it was a couple of things:
1) Yes, be reliable
2) Know your shit
3) Automate
4) Outsource

The first two are self explanatory.

The third means have systems in place, and if a computer program can do it for you then get it.

The fourth, "outsource," means "do only what you are good at" or even "don't do what you hate because you'll suck." For me, I don't know anything about bookkeeping, so I hired a bookkeeper. I don't like the process of collecting, so I hired a knuckles.

My wife is hotter than your wife.