huka551

What to do with a scammer?

Go ahead and prep a box big enough to hold the gear you were selling, pack it with newspapers or whatever and include a xerox'ed copy of your naked ass in the box and write, "I'm smarter than you think, you asshole!"
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

cops won't do dick with it - the scammer is outta their jursis-my-diction.

I think the SS handles these babies, I'd give it to the bank.

In reality, it probably depends on the local cops. If they won't deal with it, I'd tell the OP to go with his Plan B - throw the check out. And then get on with selling his rig to a legit buyer. Through legit means. One way for everyone to do that is through a trusted 3rd party acting as an escrow, such as a rigger. Buyers: DO NOT take certified checks - they can easily be forged.

I don't think any bank would be interested in it, with the exception of the bank on which the scam-check is supposedly drawn. that bank would probably be VERY interested in it.

In providing network security services to many financial institutions, any attempts to acquire and/or use personal information of someone else for personal gain, illegal access to their account, scams, misleading web sites trying to get personal info - all is to be turned over to the SS.
Or so I've been advised by the SS for the past 7-8 years.

In providing network security services to many financial institutions, any attempts to acquire and/or use personal information of someone else for personal gain, illegal access to their account, scams, misleading web sites trying to get personal info - all is to be turned over to the SS.
Or so I've been advised by the SS for the past 7-8 years.

I'm sure that's right; but since Huka is a private individual he certainly has that option, I don't think he's required to go the SS route.

If you're sure it's from a scammer, report it to the cops, and turn the check over to them.

She didnt lose anything. So cops CANT do anything

Not true, if the check really is bogus. If the check is bogus, the crime was committed once it was put in the mail (or given) to her.

If you're sure it's from a scammer, report it to the cops, and turn the check over to them.

She didnt lose anything. So cops CANT do anything

Not true, if the check really is bogus. If the check is bogus, the crime was committed once it was put in the mail (or given) to her.

I just dealt with this. Some guy sent me 5000 dollars in money orders. I called the money order company. They told me they were no good. They all have been cashed at different amounts. and told me to throw them out. Next went to cops they said because I didn't loose anything. that their was nothing for them to do. Just telling what the cops told me. Yes their was a fraud money order. They just were not going to put the man power into trying to catch someone that might or might not have committed fraud. Try proving in a court of law that i did something like that. With out finger prints and all that. Cops in this situation is a waist of time, gas and all that.

Jen just throw it out and go on to another seller!!!
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Not arguing with you (or trying to get the last word in), but the cops can do something if they choose; they just chose not to in your case. As I said, it depends on the local cops.

Yeah. If you're ambitious, go to the bank it's drawn on. If not, toss it out and just proceed to sell the rig legitimately.

Not arguing with you (or trying to get the last word in), but the cops can do something if they choose; they just chose not to in your case. As I said, it depends on the local cops.

Yeah. If you're ambitious, go to the bank it's drawn on. If not, toss it out and just proceed to sell the rig legitimately.

Sorry if you thought I thought you were arguing with me. I just think the cops in this area will not care B|
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I used to work in the internet fraud division.

Here's the jist of it.

Internet crime is for the FBI. The local authorities don't have the technology nor the man power to investigate.

BUT- there are ALWAYS exceptions. (its all about who knows who in this world)

A few problems: Due to the sheer volume in internet crimes- FBI does not investigate unless it's over 25k.

The chances of them recovering the money is low. Because the USA has OUTDATED laws regarding money laundering (most of it is overseas) their power is limited in investigating outside of the country. Even the DMCA act is freaking outdated.

The biggest thing as a consumer is to make a stink about it. Freaking STINK it up. Your voice won't be heard unless you act on it and follow up. Also these people found your address through some portal. If you sold a rig on here- ask for an IP address. (though many of them will use proxy's now) Request that the wesite blocks it to prevent further fraud.

Long story short. Deal locally, and don't take checks. Wait for them to clear if you do. (A week or so)

You CAN file a report on www.IC3.gov
Check out www.fakechecks.org (funded by the USPS)

Also you can contact the Federal Trade Commission for more info. www.ftc.gov
Best Girl Scout Ever.

Got a check from a scammer for my rig...knowing that is scam, what should I do with the check? Report it? Throw it out?

Send me a real check for half of what the scammer sent you , I'll promise you a steady return.

Yours Truly,

Bernie Madoff
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"