bigway

What are you meant to do?

So I am sure we have all had that talk before. The one where you say If i end up a vegetable , put me out of my misery etc.

Well, My mate got caught in a rip in Perth, dumped by a wave, severed his spine and then had some guy come along and resuscitate him. Now in a coma.

Wow. Heavy heavy shit.

I hate to say it but I am glad this happened in Perth cause if it happened in Syndye my missus would be the Social worker as she is one of two social workers in sydney who deal with trauma patience family's, if it happened in sydney it would bring me so much more closer to him, seeing it has happened in Perth I can kind of remove myself from it a bit. Not a nice way to look at it but i dont know how to look at such a thing.

I dont know what the right thing is to say here but I hope to hell he does not wake up.

Fuck.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Even quadriplegics can contribute to society. Personally, as long as my mind was intact and I could communicate and wasn't in pain, I'd consider life worth living. The story of Jill Kinmont is pretty amazing.

We all have different definitions of "Quality of Life".... very subjective matter.
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Well if he wakes up he has two years to get over the depression before they will allow to stop treatment and let his body shut down etc.

My partner is one of two intensive care social workers here in Sydney and she is communicating with her equal who's job it is to deal with his family in this horrible moment.

The scary thing about all of this to me is that i know if anything ever happened to me like this that my partner would have to deal with it as a job as well as love. Never really thought too much about what she does for a living until now. She is the social worker in the ICU of NSW's biggest hospital, you know the person who has to tell all the good and bad news to the families and look after their well being etc.

Not sure if you have really given it alot of thought nightngale about wanting to stay alive. you seem to have said that far to easy, what about all the therapy you would have to live through, your family would have to live through? What about the constant 24/7 care you would require. Not just your life that would be changed but it would be everyone who loves you having to change their lives as well to be able to keep you alive and from not catching diseases etc.

Anyway, thats up to you I guess. I know that this guy would not want to wake up.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I had a really good friend that broke her neck in a snowboard competition she shattered her C4(quad now). I watched her go thru hell emotional wise and wish she was dead. Then the next week she was thankful she was still alive. She would go back and forth with the two based on how the day went. She started to deal with what had happen but it took almost a yr to see that.
Going from being able to do everything yourself to now having to have someone empty you bag full of pee, getting you body on a schedule for bowl movements, having to have your teeth brushed from someone, hair combed, people to feed you, the list goes on and on. You no longer have any type of independence. You have no privacy at all with your own body. The constant fear of bead sores and blood clots. Even a common cold can be life threatening. What I saw her go thru-, I could I could not do it.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Not sure if you have really given it alot of thought nightngale about wanting to stay alive. you seem to have said that far to easy, what about all the therapy you would have to live through, your family would have to live through? What about the constant 24/7 care you would require. Not just your life that would be changed but it would be everyone who loves you having to change their lives as well to be able to keep you alive and from not catching diseases etc.

Anyway, thats up to you I guess. I know that this guy would not want to wake up.

My family's Catholic and believe that all life is sacred, so they wouldn't see it as a burden, and I wouldn't see taking care of one of them as a burden either. Then again, I also have a really big family, and we all chip in so no one person is left with anything that's too much. My grandparents currently need round the clock care, and we're each over there about once a week, and we're all chipping in a little bit to cover the nursing care. When everyone contributes, it doesn't seem like too much to do or too much to pay for.

Chris Cowell was an awesome freeflier and coach, but became a quadraplegic after a collision in a skydiving accident in 2003. Of course the accident completely changed his life, but he hasn't let it get him down and continues to be an inspiration to his friends.

You can check out his Facebook page here and his You Tube videos here.

Your friend will have a tough road ahead of him if he survives, but it doesn't mean he has to stop "living". My best to him and his friends and family.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The story of Jill Kinmont is pretty amazing.

So is the one of Terry Sciavo.. [:/]

No, if it were me and if there were no realistic chance of me recovering with my mind and/or body intact - put me out of my misery.

Life as a quadriplegic.. I don't know. Without the coma I'd just ahve to cope, I guess..
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

My family's Catholic and believe that all life is sacred, so they wouldn't see it as a burden, and I wouldn't see taking care of one of them as a burden either. Then again, I also have a really big family, and we all chip in so no one person is left with anything that's too much. My grandparents currently need round the clock care, and we're each over there about once a week, and we're all chipping in a little bit to cover the nursing care. When everyone contributes, it doesn't seem like too much to do or too much to pay for.

My partner and I also look after he Nana full time. We dont have the religon going for us though. I feel the same way as you do, I would not think of it as a burden if it was me looking after a loved one but the other way round i would have a hard time with.

Each to their own i guess.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

My partner and I also look after he Nana full time. We dont have the religon going for us though. I feel the same way as you do, I would not think of it as a burden if it was me looking after a loved one but the other way round i would have a hard time with.

Each to their own i guess.

I'd probably have a hard time being looked after too, as I'm a very independent person, but I know that as long as I was sound in mind and able to communicate and not in pain, that my family would rather have me with them, and any change requires an adjustment (to whoever mentioned Terry Schiavo above: when the brain is gone, that's a different story.).

It also helps that I make my living more with my mind than my body. There have been successful lawyers and teachers who are paralysed, so I know I would still be able to contribute in some way, particularly in this age of information and technology.

After her accident left her a quadriplegic, Jill Kinmont became a teacher, got married, and by all accounts, went on to live a very happy, successful life. A professor at the university where I went to law school was paralyzed by a chiropractor. He's still teaching, still finding a reason to wake up every morning and get on with living. Steven Hawking is still busy doing theoretical physics things that I don't understand. Life doesn't suddenly become not worth anything because bad shit happened to you. You can either deal with it and make the best out of what you've got left, or you can give up and die. So far, I haven't seen physical disability as a good reason to stop living.

As I mentioned, My partner deals with this every day. She is the person who stands next to the patient when they wake up and realise they are a quad..... I asked her at 3 in the morning last night how my mate will deal with this and she says the same stuff as you more or less, she tells me that most say after the first couple of years they are no glad they are alive etc....
I asked her how my mates reaction will be when they wake him up and she said horrific. I asked her if there was a heavier word for it as i cant imagine it.

times like this i realise what a heavy job my partner deals with. When the phone rings at 2am cause she has to go and explain to a family that their child has sustained traumatic injuries and i stay in bed dreaming of ice cream. Suprises me that she does not come home an angry stressed out person. IM glad she leaves all this at work but only now do i realise what she has to deal with.

if anyone here has suffered trauma in sydney or any skydivers ever do then it will be my partner you would have or would be metting to help arrange everything for your treatment and family.

In two years she is yet to have a skydiver come in-if you ever do find yourself at royal north shore in the ICU ward make sure you are kind to your social worker as she is one of us.

This whole thing has hit home more to me than any skydiving accident i have seen or heard about has.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store