sonomatommy

any EMTs out there?

well i just lost my job the other day and was sitting getting drunk feeling sorry for myself when the wife said now i can do what i want to do become an EMT. now i know the pay isn't that great but i don;t want to do it to get rich, just the satisfaction at the end of the day and being able to hold my head high would make up for the $. so i was wondering if anyone has some advice or could tell me what to expect after my schooling would be greatly appreciated.
Tommy

Tommy
Well where to begin? You are correct in that ems is a low paying job, infact i do know of sevrvies that pay less then 10$ per hour and I hate to be cliche in saying saving lives, but keeeping you alive is more like it and doing that for 10$ an hour. After a long hard call when I have to clean the vomit and blood of myself and the equipment I often wondered why i got paid so little? but thats what it is and thats what I do.
I love EMS, right now anyway. but know that this is not my final stop.
EMS traing can be at your local commuinty college or be held "in House" by your local ambulance or fire station.
I don't know what the cost is for emt-B for your area, here I paid about 500$ many years ago and that course was a few nights per week over the course of a few months. and that was just the start of where I am now.
You have options and Iwould sya go talk to a local ambulance service and see what they tell you.
joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

My employer asked a few of us to become EMT-B's. So after I was "volunteered" it became an additional duty for me last year. I took the course @ a local junior college, 3 nights a wk for 3 months. Course cost $425.00. Add in books, uniforms, forms, certification both National and State, etc....etc...and my company reimbursed me for $910.00. I liked riding the ambulance.......HATED clinicals at the hospital...! Good luck, it takes a special person to want to be a full timer EMT......

I was one for some time.... it cost me $475.00 for the class and I did love doing it. I was going to move in to a full blown fire fighter and then ended up just moving back towards money and numbers. I have to admit that my pay is great right now and I love my job but I miss EMS work every now and again. It is a cliche but you really are impacting the world in a very uniqe way! I say do it.... if it fits you then you will love it!
Blues
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

my advice,
go to a community college and get your EMT cert, get a job with a private company (or a FD if you can find it!) Then go to paramedic school. Get a job with a company that has ALS (paramedics) service or you'll just do transfers all day, which sucks.
I just finished medic school, and my clinicals, and I'm starting my internship (400-700 hrs with a medic crew where you run all the calls and are evaluated/mentored by a preceptor).
code 3 lights and sirens, best shit ever.
good luck
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Sonoma?? Born and raised in Sonoma county myselfB|

I've been doing the EMT gig for 6 years now for a private company in Bakersfield. Actually a pretty big company. We run BLS and ALS units. Myself, Im on an ALS rig (EMT and Paramedic), work just like a fire schedule -2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 2 off, 2 on 8 off in a station. We have an EMT academy (paid), company pays for Medic school, pays ya while you go etc. It really is a good deal.

Overtime is the only way to make any decent dollars... I work plenty of 8 hour metro shifts where you post all over the city in the bambulance.If I was a youngster I definately would have gone the fire route but Im a little older and a LOT beat upB|:P

Its good and its bad....

Sonoma huh, nice:)

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

One option is to be a volunteer while also holding another paying job for more money. The organization I ride with is a private one, and they paid for my EMT-B class and EMT-I class. The only catch is that you owe them a year after each class, which is a requirement easily enough met. I have to ride a minimum of 24 hours a month - I do two 12-hour shifts on alternate Thursday nights (so I only have to limp through one workday if I'm up all night). The EMT-B class is quite easy and should pose no problem if you got a H.S. diploma. It is alternately one of the most mundane and most rewarding things I do. You'll go to calls to lift old men and Fatty McFattys back into their chairs, but you'll also get to see babies enter the world and crack open cars to get people out. PM if you want more info.
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

Don't stop at emt although it's a great job for alot of people. i would suggest fireman/paramedic you will make more money, have more of a chance for advancement, and still be involved in the more fun and exciting part of the field. One of my best friends was a F/P for years until a medical retirement and it's killing him to work a "regular" job now. He says he is soooo bored now.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!