AStack75

Cutaway Question

When you pull your cutaway you activate your AAD which then beeps telling you to pull your reserve handle with only one hand.

I don't think it's appropriate to make sarcastic jokes on threads created by newbies.

I'd agree, but even to a n00b, something like that HAS to make ya ask yourself...did I miss 1/2 a class or his that guy a moron?

Thankfully people like erdnarob understand the implications and have the capacity and willingness to break it down the right way!

Why would you think the OP missed anything or was a moron?

He posted that he has 2 tandem jumps. He's not been through a FJC. Nobody tried to teach him much about the tandem gear he used for his 2 jumps.

And while erdnarob's answer may be more complete than some, was it really necessary for this OP to have this level of detail when we know that he hasn't been through a FJC, and have no reasonable expectation that he ever will?

I can appreciate the distinction that pulling the reserve pin is not the whole deployment, but is that level of detail really needed to answer this OP's simple question?

He wanted to know if cutaways open reserves automatically.

Simple answer is that it depends on the gear. Some gear tries to open the reserve for you when you get rid of a main, and some doesn't.

The rest of the details most likely fell on deaf ears in the first place anyway.

Do we really think the OP was even listening much less appreciating the finer points of the extra 16 posts?

When you pull your cutaway you activate your AAD which then beeps telling you to pull your reserve handle with only one hand.

And this is a prime example of the kind of NOISE that shouldn't be in a TOPICAL forum.

Be "funny" in the bonfire. Topical forums are not the place for it.

Do we really think the OP was even listening much less appreciating the finer points of the extra 16 posts?

I'm still listening. It's information overload at this point.

The training for my tandem jumps was minimal. Watch a few vids (mostly disclaimer type videos) and real basic training with my TM on body position during jumps and leg position on landing. Equipment was really not covered other than how we are connected to each other.

The AFF1 training is supposed to be much more detailed.

What I've taken from this thread is ask my instructor about the gear I will be using and don't ask for advice on DZ.com.

I don't think it's appropriate to make sarcastic jokes on threads created by newbies.

I'd agree, but even to a n00b, something like that HAS to make ya ask yourself...did I miss 1/2 a class or his that guy a moron?

Thankfully people like erdnarob understand the implications and have the capacity and willingness to break it down the right way!

Why would you think the OP missed anything or was a moron?

He posted that he has 2 tandem jumps. He's not been through a FJC. Nobody tried to teach him much about the tandem gear he used for his 2 jumps.

And while erdnarob's answer may be more complete than some, was it really necessary for this OP to have this level of detail when we know that he hasn't been through a FJC, and have no reasonable expectation that he ever will?

I can appreciate the distinction that pulling the reserve pin is not the whole deployment, but is that level of detail really needed to answer this OP's simple question?

He wanted to know if cutaways open reserves automatically.

Simple answer is that it depends on the gear. Some gear tries to open the reserve for you when you get rid of a main, and some doesn't.

The rest of the details most likely fell on deaf ears in the first place anyway.

Didn't mean the OP would ask the 'moron' question of himself, but rather aim it to the sarcastic posters, nor that he missed anything... instead a tongue in cheek 'WTF' after reading the nonsense of a reply or two he got.

And I can't speak for others, but in my case yes...I read & studied everything I could get my hands on before AND all during the student phase.

My high school library had back issues of Parachutist that I read cover to cover many times, I knew who people like Lew Sanborn, Ted Strong, Cheryl Sterns were even before paying my 50.00 for a lesson...today that kind of info is even more readily available.

I asked my FJI questions regarding the, cape-wells sticking, the 'Stevens line' and the AOD, during the first class...

I have to believe that are many n00bs just as motivated & hungry for knowledge as I was, NOT giving them concise & correct information does a disservice to both they the student AND us.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have to believe that are many n00bs just as motivated & hungry for knowledge as I was, NOT giving them concise & correct information does a disservice to both they the student AND us.

I never suggested that the information should be anything other than correct.

But it should also be tailored to the needs and interests of the person who asked the question.

Sometimes a simple question deserves a simple answer.

In this case, I have PMs with the OP, and he has said that all he wanted was the simple answer, and that rest constituted information overload.

PS - I apologize - I misinterpreted who you meant was the moron. With your explanation, I see my error. I'll try to read more carefully.

>>In this case, I have PMs with the OP, and he has said that all he wanted was the simple answer, and that rest constituted information overload.<<

Agreed, but I think you know how these forums work. People get S*** on for saying could instead of would. Tinyest little details...which could save your life one day.

On a different note, this has helped me understand better as well...especially the disadvatage of the rsl should a riser/3-ring break. So, these forums are not only for the OP's, but for everyone.

And you're right, the guy did want a simple response...which he got within the first few posts.

Would not the best answer have been:

Maybe or sometimes. It all depends on your equimpent. There are a lot of different systems and the best we can say is ask your instructor.

But in the meantime you can start reading the SIM about malfunctions and procedures. It will expalin a lot.

Would not the best answer have been:

Maybe or sometimes. It all depends on your equimpent. There are a lot of different systems and the best we can say is ask your instructor.

But in the meantime you can start reading the SIM about malfunctions and procedures. It will expalin a lot.

Yes. But its the interwebz and its funny when people come to a website rather than getting real, human advice for life threating situations. And it gives people a chance to act naughty since there are literally no consequences for acting like a dipshit.

I can relate to the guy. I live 2 hours from any DZ. :(

When I was new to the sport I would hope that I could ask a question here and get some informative feedback.

Of course a person has to be able to filter out the nonsense. Hopefully most jumpers are offering what they think is good advice; even if it is misguided.

Well, I successfully passed my AFF Level 1 course this weekend. Thanks everyone for your responses. I understand your answers now after learning about the equipment.

My complete lack of understanding of the different components of the equipment and how they work with each other made it difficult for me to understand the answers. But I get it now. A couple hours of doing malfunction scenarios in the hanging harness did the trick. :)