chiquita24

anyone know anything about car problems?

My car is really having a tough winter. It's hating me and seems to have a mind of it's own. My main problem is this, it doesn't want to start when it gets below zero. Ok understandable, it's cold and a lot of cars have problems starting. But my car is not THAT old (2000).
It seems something is killing my battery, but ONLY doing it when it gets freezing. I go out to start my car and all I hear is a "ticking" noise when I turn the key. Oh one other thing, SOMETIMES my radio doesn't turn off when I open my door like it's suppose to, so I have to manually turn the power off. But the sometimes when I go to start it the radio turns back on-which it shouldn't unless I push the button-and is trying to read a cd, but the cd player is broken.

So something must be tripping the battery is my guess to part of the problem. But what can I do to get my car to start? Can you put a block heater like the old cars used to have?
Any tips would be helpful! Am I looking at a shit ton of money to get this fixed?

Have you had your battery checked? Temp will effect the performance of the battery, and if the battery is on the borderline of good/bad, the cold temps may be too much for it.

Also, when the radio stays on, does the interior light come on when you open the door? There is a switch that the door pushes on, and this is what turns off the radio, and turns the interior lights on and off. If it's forzen in place, the radio may be drawing current after you leave the car. The switch may control other features that could be drawing current as well (drawing current will run down the strength of your battery).

Finally, maybe your radio is just busted. It may be keeping itself on by itself, and running down the battery. This would most likely happen in all weather, but like I said, if the battery is almost toast, the cold will push it over the edge.

move to sunny florida :P J/K

if you can find the radio fuse pull it and see if that corrects your troubles. If it does a new stereo is more than likely in order. Short of that, is to go to a "auto electric" shop and have them check your electrical system. hope this helps :)
Pm me and I can try to help you find what fuse to pull ect

It's most likely a weak battery as mentioned above. spend alittle more money an a "optima" battery as they are gel cell and will recharge for a much longer time. There is always the old put a drop light under the hood at night next to the battery to keep it warmer trick. Drop light from sears not much money. If you need a new battery be sure you are getting one with sufficent cold cranking amps. I always get the most cca that I can for all my cars.
ATTACK LIFE ! IT'S GOING TO KILL YOU ANYWAY!!!!

Try Suggested Upgrade

Usually battery car problems are associated with reticular perception of follicular spectrum reflections. If we can clear this stage of the problem, there are some significant steps we can take to identify the "root" cause of the problem.
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

If this is the battery, this will be the 3rd battery I've put in my car 2 yrs!!

Hell, my old truck went through something like 3 alternators and 4 batteries one year. Had to do with how some companies "remanufacture" alternators. They were killing the batteries when they went out. Sometimes shit happens.

Are you getting any warning lights? Check engine lights or anything?

If your stock stereo is crapping out and doing weird things then its either the stereo or probably a loose ground some where. If that's the case, then it could be taking your battery down with it.

Some batteries don't perform well in exceptionally cold weather. If you cheaped out when you bought your battery, then the battery just flat out may not be able to hold a charge in the cold.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It is the factory stereo. I've never touched it or done anything to it.

If this is the battery, this will be the 3rd battery I've put in my car 2 yrs!!

Batteries should last longer than that. They should also have a warranty.

It sounds like something is drawing power while the car is shut off. Even the dome light will draw enough power to drain the battery when it's cold.
Any good shop should be able to run a quick (cheap) check on your electrical system. All you need to do is find out if you are drawing power when the car is shut off. The door switch is probably a good suspect. The stereo is too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

As mentioned above, weak battery could be the cause. Take the battery out and take it to your local Auto parts place. Have them do a load test to check the battery. They can tell you the condition of the battery. Replace if needed.

However, a weak starter could also be the problem. The ticking sound your hearing is probly the starter solonoid. This device is a magnetic switch which uses low voltage current (from the Key switch) to switch high voltage current (from the battery to the starter). The ticking sound is the solonoid trying to switch on (unsucesfully) the starter.

Most cars today have the solonoid built right onto the starter. If this is the problem, just replace the starter.

One other possibility depending on the model, look to see if there is a starter relay under the hood (ussually found along with the underhood fuses). It could also be the source of the ticking sound. But, my bet is the starter solonoid!

Pm me if you have any questions...
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Any good shop should be able to run a quick (cheap) check on your electrical system. All you need to do is find out if you are drawing power when the car is shut off.

One way to check for power leak...

Pull the radio fuse. Turn off all electrical components. Remove the negative battery cable and (do this in the dark) watch for an electrical spark as you touch the cable to the battery. If you see a small spark as you touch the cable to the battery, this means there is a current draw. B|

To go a step further, you can pull one fuse at a time and repeat this test until the spark goes away. When the spark goes away, you've identified the circut that has the short or current draw. Depending on your car, this test may or may not work... sorry but it's a starting point.
[:/]
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Any good shop should be able to run a quick (cheap) check on your electrical system. All you need to do is find out if you are drawing power when the car is shut off.

One way to check for power leak...

Pull the radio fuse. Turn off all electrical components. Remove the negative battery cable and (do this in the dark) watch for an electrical spark as you touch the cable to the battery. If you see a small spark as you touch the cable to the battery, this means there is a current draw. B|

To go a step further, you can pull one fuse at a time and repeat this test until the spark goes away. When the spark goes away, you've identified the circut that has the short or current draw. Depending on your car, this test may or may not work... sorry but it's a starting point.
[:/]

This is true and will work, but does OP have ability and willingness to do it? (I don't know, I'm asking)
Any shop will have an ammeter that will do the same task quickly and easily. The power draw will give an idea what it might be (at least the size of the item).
And repeatedly, quickly powering up some things isn't very good for them. I know you said to turn everything off, but some stuff gets power all the time, and doing the "spark check" can cause problems.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Check the belt that runs from the engine to the dynamo

dude that one made me laugh my fuckin sack off... the car is from 2k bro, most probably got a serpentine belt ...LOL

I'm with the daves, either a busted door switch, or a loose ground.

get a good battery with a warranty like an optima.....

maybe the car is just angry, try talking to it....

:)
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

This is true and will work, but does OP have ability and willingness to do it? (I don't know, I'm asking)
Any shop will have an ammeter that will do the same task quickly and easily. The power draw will give an idea what it might be (at least the size of the item).
And repeatedly, quickly powering up some things isn't very good for them. I know you said to turn everything off, but some stuff gets power all the time, and doing the "spark check" can cause problems.

You're right...I have no idea how to do that. I'm going to have to take it in and have the battery looked at. The battery should still be covered under warranty, so hopefully I can get a new one if that is the problem. But to me it seems clear, that something is draining the battery and I believe it's coming from the radio somewhere...