Icon134

Digital TV Transition Delayed

I haven't seen anything here yet (if someone posted something and I missed it please feel free to lock/recycle this thread) but it appears that Congress has passed a bill to delay the transition to digital in the US from 17 Feb to 12 June.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28863961/
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Still haven't figured out why congress is involved is things like this.

Probably because the FCC is the ultimate controlling entity for this sort of thing in the US and the FCC answers to congress.

Ultimately the transistion doesn't affect me in the slightest... but it probably does affect a number of elderly...

I'm not sure "fucking stupid" is the right terminology but I agree that there's not much reason people shouldn't be prepared for the transition.

I get annoyed every morning when I hear the news anchors telling me that I won't be able to watch them on a TV with rabbit ears (or on the roof antenna) after the switch... (some of them actually remember to say "unless you have a digital TV")

but it still bothers me... it's as if they are trying to tell me I need to get cable to watch television... :S

I'll try to keep this out of sc.

So I don't agree with the delay, but the reason people are not prepared is because they don't have enough converter boxes to give out or sell.

Yup, you've got about a million or so people who won't be able to watch tv because of that. So 1million out of 350 million dictates that there should be a delay.

The question you should be asking is what is being done during the extension to ensure that the people who need a converter are getting one? They were already given about 2 years to get their act together and didn't.

This country is technology retarded.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Issue is there is a large backlog of coupon requests for the digital converters. The FCC wants to make sure they are getting as many converters out there as the need is for. the other thing is there are large amounts of coupons out there that have not been used and are about to expire. Once those expire and the new ones are issued then there are no excuses for this to be delayed again.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I won't be able to use my Sony Watchman anymore. :(

I used to have one of those... with a 2.5" color screen. I'd take it with me when I went to the football games at the U. of Alabama so I could keep up with other games/scores. It went kaput the instant I accidentally used the wrong adaptor plug in the car power outlet. I had two that looked alike and didn't have any tell-tale marks to show what they belonged to. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Issue is there is a large backlog of coupon requests for the digital converters. The FCC wants to make sure they are getting as many converters out there as the need is for. the other thing is there are large amounts of coupons out there that have not been used and are about to expire. Once those expire and the new ones are issued then there are no excuses for this to be delayed again.

Part of the shortage and delay is the misinformation cable companies, Digital box manufactures have been giving out over the need for digital tuner or for people needs for switch to cable to keep receiving programming. There and a large number of people getting the coupons that don't need them as their T.V. already have digital tuners. If you have a T.V. with a ATSC tuner then your all set for the change.

http://www.hearusnow.org/fileadmin/sitecontent/dtv_brochure_--_english.pdf
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."