Rory81

Main canopy problem

hi there, i'm about to buy a second hand rig as follows:

container Mirage G3 M4 (manufactured on 99 but dry-stored and only jumped 50 times, looks like new)
cypress 2 new (july 2005)
reserve smart 150 (july 2005)
main: stiletto 170 (200 jumps)

3000€ -> 3655 USD

The thing is that im not ready for a stiletto 170, right now im jumping a sabre2 190 (rental from my DZ), i just got my A license and my progress was fast from the nav 240 to the sabre2 190, anyway i dont wanna rush too much and break a leg :).

My question is: what would be better?

A) To buy another main and use it till im ready for a 170 (in that case, what would you recommend me? I want something fun, since my progress is quite fast and i dont wanna get bored in 15 jumps), i've read that a spectre could be ok, but i dont know really.

B) Use the money to get a good piloting course, grow safer as skydiver, rent lesser canopies for a while and then start using the stiletto.

C) any other suggestion :)

i weight 80Kg (176lbs), 1,88m (6,16ft) and just got my A at jump 25 (tho as i said im progressing fast, im airplane pilot, so it kinda makes it more easy to navigate and judge distances and other stuff)

by the way, is the price ok? im buying at my home dz, so i can have it checked and try it and all that :)

Option D...

With a weight of 176lbs, that is likely to give an exit weight of ~200lbs. That would give you a wingloading of almost 1.18 on a 170 and I would not recommend that you even consider this until you have 200 jumps and have completed some canopy coaching.

Furthermore a Stiletto is a high performance, elliptical canopy. I know there are faster toys out there now, but the Stiletto is not - and never will be - a beginner or intermediate canopy. When I started jumping you were required to have either 400 or 500 jumps (can't quite remember) to jump a Stiletto. The design hasn't changed in that time and nor has the ground got any softer...

A final point that concerns me, is that the reserve in that gear is a 150. Does that bother you? That's a wingloading of 1.33 on an F111 7-cell. Since we've established that a 170 might not be a wise choice for a main right now, do you really want to find yourself under a 150 reserve at that wingloading when you're low and pumped with adrenaline???

My advice - find some second hand gear that is suitable for you NOW. You can then put a couple of hundred jumps or more on it and sell it on without losing much. There will always be another "almost new" rig out there. :)
hth! :)
Vicki

i have my A already, the thing is that in spain is not that easy to find gear.

Anyway i dont think is such a bad idea to use the same rig with another canopy. Lets say i get a sabre2 170 or a spectre 190 or something more suitable (170 or 190 is ok for that container according to mirage), i could jump that one for a time till i'm ready for the stiletto.

hi there, i'm about to buy a second hand rig as follows:

container Mirage G3 M4 (manufactured on 99 but dry-stored and only jumped 50 times, looks like new)
cypress 2 new (july 2005)
reserve smart 150 (july 2005)
main: stiletto 170 (200 jumps)

3000€ -> 3655 USD
reply]

where did you find it? ;)

I have 340 jumps and have been jumping for 4 years. I'm a competent canopy pilot who has been certified to perform display jumps requiring a separate canopy handling qualification. I wouldn't jump a stiletto 170 - it's too hot for me. I don't have the experience to jump it safely on every jump.

I'm not passing any judgment on your canopy skills; I do not know you and have not seen you fly... but seriously pay attention when people with more experience than you say the canopy you want to jump is too radical for them.

Also have you ever flown a 150? How do you feel flying a 150 for the first time over a town while you look for a back garden to land in having deployed it at 1000ft?

Plan (and buy) for the bad jumps, not just the straight in approaches over the peas on days with perfect winds.

Ok. So stay under WL 1.0 as long as you collect 100 jumps altogether.

I broke my ankle with a PD Navigator220 ~ WL 1.0 jump nr 87.

Trust me! I could get more serious injuries under a 170/190.

Try to learn from other`s faults or feel free to make those faults by yourself!

Anyway i dont think is such a bad idea to use the same rig with another canopy.

I do. I believe that the reserve in that container is too small for you at your current experience level. When you have a LOT more jumps under your belt you can make an informed decision about a higher loaded reserve but for now - please - stick with a reserve the same size as, or larger than, your main.

Lets say i get a sabre2 170 or a spectre 190 or something more suitable (170 or 190 is ok for that container according to mirage), i could jump that one for a time till i'm ready for the stiletto.

A 170 would put you at a ~1.18 wingloading and I personally think this is too high for a first set of gear. A 190 would be ~1.05 which would be at the high end of what might be recommended for first gear. Furthermore, am I correct in thinking that your home DZ, Lillo, is 2,000ft+ elevation and hot most of the year?

Have you checked with Mirage if you can put a larger reserve in that container?

Have you discussed any of this with instructors at Lillo?

Vicki

yes vicky, i'm talking with my instructors at lillo to find the most suitable solution, probably using other canopies till i can downsize safely, and as you said i will prolly take some canopy coaching and stuff :)

im considering pros and cons, i might trade for a while this rig for another one with a sabre2 or something like that, its a matter of availability. Anyway my idea is to keep jumping rented rigs for a while :)

I'm glad you're aware you're not ready to jump this rig. Please don't, you'll get hurt. Don't even buy it, so you won't be tempted.

Look HERE for a rig that is better suited for you.

Or HERE.

Or HERE.

I really don't think availability is the problem. Spend a few bucks on shipping. It's cheaper than titanium.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams