LearningTOfly

Packing Technique

Just wondering- on a PRO pack, I've seen some people stow their slider and then fold their stabilizers back and forth over eachother before pulling up the tail. This seems like a good idea- in my mind it keeps the steering lines where they should be, at least while the canopy is in the bag... as a result I would expect that there is a reduced risk of a lineover occuring. Is this right? Any opinions on that packing style?

I've heard that this practice has led to "interesting" openings, certainly on a Vengenace.

What is possibly a good idea, however, is once the tail has been flaked, grab the triangular bit, fold and push into the centre (on both sides). It's not easy to explain exactly what is being done in a post (so go and ask!) The idea is to keep the brake lines from being pulled around when you wrap the canopy in the tail.

I would also recommend:

- Pulling the tail around your knee as you do this (so you don't inadvertantly pull everything around with it),

- Not throwing the packjob down when you're done, but placing it carefully, and

- Ensuring that the line groups are level when you go to put it in the bag (sure way of getting thrown around, or at least inducing an off-heading)

Good luck!
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

heh, I still screw up the "throw the pack job down" thing... Setting that thing down is a pain in the ass.

I also fold the stabilizers over eachother when packing, seems to work fine, most of the time :P

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I throw the slider over my shoulder then flake it out. my dad does it opposite. but what I do to prevent a line over is once everything is flaked grab all the lines and stow them in rubberbands on the d lines. the wrap the tai.

say what? rubberbands on the D lines?

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

Your D lines are your line over lines,,, and you will most likely insert a line over when you drag the tail around…

To avoid doing this, there are two methods that work very well. First grab the tail seam at the top of the pack job, under the hand that is holding it and run your hand down the seam bringing it together on each side.. Or bring the tail round one side at a time by placing your knee at the side and pulling the tail around it, thus using your knee to hold everything in place…

Also after you have used one of the two methods lift the tail on each side and take a look and visibly ensure that everything is in place before rolling the tail…
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

yeah let me try to explain it better cause I can't find a picture.

On the inner most D line put a rubber band on each one. one rubber band on one of the right d lines and one on the left d line(you know when you propack you split your canopy in half). then you take your stablizer lines and your steering lines and stow them in the rubber bands. left lines go in the left rubber, right lines go in the left rubber. what this does is keep all your lines in the center of the packjob.
Na' Cho' Cheese

The British Army Parachute Association recommends tying (lark's head knot) a rubber band to the trailing edge of the slider (need an extra piece of tape sewn on) and trapping all the steering lines in that extra rubber band.
The method looks weird, but eliminates line-over burns.
The key to preventing line-overs is keeping steering lines (and maybe D lines) center rear. Some packers can do this without rubber bands ... more power to them.

>Any opinions on that packing style?

I do something very similar. My order is:

1. Flake
2. Run the tail
3. Grab C/D/brake lines in one hand
4. Pull center tail up over C/D/brake lines and grab them again _through_ the tail
5. Prepare the nose and push it in
6. Deal with slider.
7. Lay pack job down, still with a grip on the lines
8. Release and start cocooning

That keeps the C/D/brake lines (i.e. the lines that might want to cause a lineover) under control and in the center until the last possible moment. No mals on my packjobs in the last 4000 jumps.

I'm just trying to make things better and more safer... malfunction wise.

Yeah, packing is a religion.

I packed my main parachute in under 2 minutes from the time I stepped in the hangar too stuffing the boc.

Wow. So you arm the slider, PC and set the breaks right after landing ond the field, don't you. 2 mins, wow that is something!

What do you do with larger chutes that have dual steering lines where the inside line is a single and longer? When I wrap the tail it tends to come around the side and this concerns me in regards to a line over. I haven't jumped it yet for that reason.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.