AggieDave

Why does it take 90 minutes to get a prescription filled?

I've been very sick the last couple of days. Nothing serious, just a stomach virus or similar. Finally made it to the doctor today and got two scripts so I can keep fluids and food in me. I stop off at Walgreens to get the prescriptions filled and they tell me 90 minutes.

90 minutes? Seriously? All they do is print a label, put it on a bottle and put the dosage and number of pills in the bottle that the doctor prescribed. Why in the hell would that take 90 minutes? Even if there were 10 other people in front of me, that should take all of 15 minutes, tops!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Depends on whether you are staying there to wait on it or if you're dropping it off and coming back later.

At mine (CVS) they tell me an hour if I drop it off. If I sit and wait, it's usually ready in 5 to 10 minutes.

Now if they said 90 minutes to sit there and wait, then that's fucked up.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I've been very sick the last couple of days. Nothing serious, just a stomach virus or similar. Finally made it to the doctor today and got two scripts so I can keep fluids and food in me. I stop off at Walgreens to get the prescriptions filled and they tell me 90 minutes.

90 minutes? Seriously? All they do is print a label, put it on a bottle and put the dosage and number of pills in the bottle that the doctor prescribed. Why in the hell would that take 90 minutes? Even if there were 10 other people in front of me, that should take all of 15 minutes, tops!

They have to make sure your insurance is valid, contact the doctor if for some reason the medications has to be changed due to your coverage, and fill the rx. In some cases it can take a few days to get auths based on the RX and coverage. Just cause the pharm isnt busy when you get there doesnt mean they dont have a ton of faxes that were authed by doctors for other patients. Norm is an 1hr but if busy 2hr is often the case. I hope you feel better soon though.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

At mine (CVS) they tell me an hour if I drop it off. If I sit and wait, it's usually ready in 5 to 10 minutes.

That's because they don't want you hanging around. Particularly after you tried to mount that seeing eye dog there last year
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

I hear ya! I think its especially bad if they are literally just taking a box off the shelf and slapping a label on it - stuff like BC pills, nasal sprays, inhalers, etc. They aren't even counting out pills or measuring anything! Its messed up, and Walgreens seems to be one of the worst about stuff like that!

I hope you feel better soon!

I said I was going to wait. They said at least 90 minutes. I left and my wife picked them up on her lunch break. It took a total of 115 minutes for the prescription to be ready, she waited an extra 20 minutes upon arriving.

Sure a lot of little pills look similar, but they're all different and its not like they're stored in a large rubbermaid all together! They're kept separate and by federal law they all have to be kept track of. So they count out the total, check the imprint on the pill face and put them in a little bag.

>:(

I never take a prescription into a pharmacy anymore.
I just have the doc call/FAX it into Costco,
then I call Costco to see when it will be ready.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

How many times have you gotten prescription drugs at that store? What was the usual routine? If this 90 minute wait was the first time it happened, I'd call it an abberation. If it's their new policy, change stores.

I have had a few snafus at my store, but none involving the wrong prescription.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

This is the store near my old house, so between my wife and I we'd go through a few times a year. Usually around 15 minutes, sometimes much longer. A new Walgreens is opening up much closer to our current house, so hopefully the new one will be better.

bummer. when I worked in a closed shop pharmacy, I would fill about 30-50 prescriptions in that time. I quit the pharm tech stuff before I had a chance to work retail and deal with insurence and all the fun that goes with that. . your right though, it shouldn't take that long, unless they are backed up, out of the medication, or pharmacist on break. Perhaps the doc didn't put 'generic ok' , and all the pharmacy had was the generic brand.. they then have to contact the dr, and get his ok to use generic instead of brand. Reality is, they just have to grab a bottle off the shelf, or if it is a schedualed drug, fill out some paperwork and get it out of a locked area, count out the pills, put them in a new container, slap the label on *probably computer generated, initial the label, and have the pharmacist check to make sure it is correct.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

>90 minutes? Seriously? All they do is print a label, put it on a bottle and put
>the dosage and number of pills in the bottle that the doctor prescribed. Why in
>the hell would that take 90 minutes?

Why the hell should it take a cop 30 minutes to get to someone who calls in a complaint about a raucous party? I mean, put down the donut, get in the car and drive the five miles to the house fer cryin out loud!

Why the hell should it take 2 hours sitting around a drop zone before a guy can get a tandem? I mean, he called ahead and everything! Why are skydivers so incompetent?

Why the hell should it take 2 hours sitting around a drop zone before a guy can get a tandem? I mean, he called ahead and everything! Why are skydivers so incompetent?

Maybe it's cuz the tandemmasters and AFFI's are all on dz.com tryin' to look cool!!!:o
Jump more, post less!

I'd love to rant about Walgreens, too!

First, I can't understand the girl at the counter thanks to English being her 3rd-4th language. She tells me 90 minutes for my 2 prescriptions.

I came back, paid, and got about 3 steps before I said "Uhhhh, there was supposed to be two prescriptions in here."

She tippity-types on her computer and says "Oh, the other one was $50, so we didn't fill it."

"Oh really? Are you my accountant, or my fucking pharmacist?" Made them fill it right there.

I get home, open up prescription #1, the vicodin that will hopefully allow me to withstand the pain of food going down my throat. I notice it looks light... read the label, it says "15 pills." I count 8. I am furious. I got back.

New girl at the counter is a total bitch. "Those pills are hand-counted." "Well, THESE pills were hand-counted incorrectly."

She refused to give me more. Okay, from their standpoint I understand that, especially with vicodin. But she was a total bitch about it. I asked if I could have 7/15ths of my money back, and she says no, my only options are to accept it as-is and go home or leave the pills and ask the manager in the morning.

I left the pills and went home. Tried to eat, couldn't get anything but water past my throat. Which means I couldn't take my other pills. So, I suffered one more sleepless night on my couch with a 104 fever.

Manager the next morning at Walgreens called me and said he was sorry, if I still wanted my pills, they were ready at the pharmacy with all 15 pills. two hours later, I ate my first meal in three days thanks to the miracle of painkillers. Chef Boyardee mini-ravioli's never tasted so good.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

I use the walmart pharmacy and two months in a row they filled my 30mg 2 times day (for a total quantity of 60) incorrectly. I only got 30 pills instead of the 60. Both times i didn't notice the error til i got home. Both times when i called, they couldn't have been nicer about it. And when it happened the 2nd time, they even gave me a $25 gift card.

I've used walgreens in the past and i think they're incredibly rude - at least the ones around here.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!