micduran

US Airways plane crashes into Hudson River

interestimg Jeff! Im sure you read the summery on the right? a TOTAL of 69 peeps on that 767.... Good grief! now we know why the fuel prices are so damn high/fluctuate so much!!! I wonder if AirCan has uPdated their fleet with some puddle jumpers and or regionals...

If he had worked it into Teterboro safely, then I think his previous glider experience would've shown.

However, just putting it down on a relatively long, straight river that was in his field of view, then I think in this case his glider experience wasn't as much of a factor or help over a pilot w/ non-glider experience......

Awesome display of airmanship on the crews part....B|

If he had worked it into Teterboro safely,

Nice monday morning quarterbacking there. If you look around Teterboro you either hit the airport or buildings. You have no other outs. From the sounds of it he had no time, alititude, or airspeed so his hands were tied.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

When the shit hit the fan;), I read that they were only up to 3200 feet. Another post suggested that these planes have a glide ratio of (maybe) 16 to 18:1

Thats 10.9 miles at best.

Now put some flaps down so you don't have to land in the river at 250 kts. I am sure the glide ratio gets a lot shorter.

A real glider has a glide ratio of 40:1.

Also, keep in mind when you loose power like this: Step 1, nose down, maintain airspeed. So you are going to start loosing altitude right away. To make it worse, the pilot may "waste" altitude while trying to settle in to the best glide. With only 3200 feet, the best glide is not really going to be found.

This is on top of talking on the radio, informing the cabin crew and passengers, and changing the planes configuration. In that first 15 seconds, there is a lot of shit to do. So, you can't blame them if thy loose a few hundred extra feet.

The pilot did the right thing. This is no different than when a skydiver has to land out. If he passes up prime landing areas to try and get home, then gets injured or killed, people wonder why he was trying to get home so bad.

Nice monday morning quarterbacking there. If you look around Teterboro you either hit the airport or buildings. You have no other outs. From the sounds of it he had no time, alititude, or airspeed so his hands were tied.

How'd you know I was a quarterback?!B| What I stated (IMHO dude), is it did not take a glider pilot (or one with glider experience) to put it down in that river....... read my post.

totally agree. the pilot did exactly the right thing.

I'm sure some plaintiffs' lawyers will disagree with that statement.

I know at my age of 47 that ANYTHING is possible... But John do you think that there is going to some sort of civil action the air carrier and or the pilot/creW?

As far as the few posts about our about not needing to be a glider pilot/expeirence to be able to land it, I am just referring to Sullys 15-90 SECONDS of knowing RIGHT THEN that he was not going to make it back to LAG or TET because you can see his DECISION making in the flight path... and the WAY he laid that bus on the water... I believe that is why his time in a glider is what helped him here.

How'd you know I was a quarterback?!B| What I stated (IMHO dude), is it did not take a glider pilot (or one with glider experience) to put it down in that river....... read my post.

What's the big deal, everyone of us lands without engines every single time ! Ok, he was a tandem master with some 169 thrill-seekeres on board.... So, he didn't pound-in the students..... THAT's WHY HE IS IN THE COCKPIT... yes, it was very good job... lets move on :):):)
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

totally agree. the pilot did exactly the right thing.

I'm sure some plaintiffs' lawyers will disagree with that statement.

Yeah, because now they missed out on millions that they could have reaped in lawsuits had the plane crashed elsewhere and killed everybody. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban