micduran

US Airways plane crashes into Hudson River

Watching the news....pilot has more that 19000 hours....former F4 phantom pilot. The A320 has a "ditching" button, which when pressed, seals all out ports of fuselage to prevent water from entering. and, crew is trained not to open rear doors, this could sink the plane faster.

Yeah, all that shit is supposed to work if the pilot doesn't turn the plane into three major pieces... this guy did a phenomenal job of realizing that the river is more forgiving than the side of a building on a missed engines-out approach!
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I'm normally a fan of Fox news above the other networks but i just had to mute the TV after hearing these two facts stated within 2 minutes of each other:

-"airplane engines are made to be able to injest 2 or 3 birds and be fine. They just spit them out the back"
-"some of these pilots are 68 and 69 years old and still flying so we're still waiting to hear how old the captain is"

Really? Come on, if fact checking is too hard about about at least using some common sense.

i really hate it when news networks do that, you can just do a search on google and find that if your over 60 you cant fly anymore or that a jet engine will not be able to tolerate TWO or THREE bird strikes, hell a screw that got picked up and sucked into the engine can nearly destroy it.
and i just like this version of the picture better

ok ok...so what i fly, is, well, not really an airplane. but when i had an engine out in my weight shift trike at 200 ft, even though i was over a dry lake bed and could land in any direction, it geave me quite a butt pucker and i landed. kind of like that post reserve ride adrenaline rush i would guess....since i have not had the pleasure of that experience....yet.

The FBI has made an official statement that this was NOT in fact an act of terrorism. And here I though Al Queda started using flocks of birds. :D

Are we sure it was a flock of birds OR a flock of wingsuit flyers from Cross Keys?

:D I was thinking A Flock Of Seagulls....

the birds! Not the band! :D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not really what I want to hear, I'm flying US Airways to NY next week.:S[:/]

Hey, I look at it this way, they got this incident out of the way. How often do these things happen? We should be fine for a long while. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

so my wife just made and interesting comment. "look at those people on the wing....they should be thankful. the majority of them would never experience anything like this in life...because they are so stuck in the box. would they walk out on the wing of an airplane, one sitting on the ground, safety harness on...most likely not. now, they have just stepped, or have been pushed, out of the box."

i have seen some of the interviews with the passengers. their reactions are very similar to those of tandems....like "its great to be alive" and " i cant stop smiling"

Hey, I look at it this way, they got this incident out of the way. How often do these things happen? We should be fine for a long while. :P

But don't they always happen in three's?[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Fuck you man...
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

or that a jet engine will not be able to tolerate TWO or THREE bird strikes, hell a screw that got picked up and sucked into the engine can nearly destroy it.

Actually to pass the bird ingestion test prescribed in FAR 33.76 (c), the engine may have to survive up to 16 bird strikes, depending on the size of the engine inlet.

"(5) Small bird ingestion tests shall be conducted so as to simulate a flock encounter using one 85 gram (0.187 lb.) bird for each 0.032 square-meter (49.6 square-inches) of inlet area, or fraction thereof, up to a maximum of 16 birds. The birds will be aimed so as to account for any critical exposed locations on the first stage rotor blades, with any remaining birds evenly distributed over the engine face area."

The engine isn't required to perform the small bird test if it passes the medium bird test, which can require up to 7 medium-size bird ingestions, depending on the inlet size.

Dave

or that a jet engine will not be able to tolerate TWO or THREE bird strikes, hell a screw that got picked up and sucked into the engine can nearly destroy it.

Actually to pass the bird ingestion test prescribed in FAR 33.76 (c), the engine may have to survive up to 16 bird strikes, depending on the size of the engine inlet.

"(5) Small bird ingestion tests shall be conducted so as to simulate a flock encounter using one 85 gram (0.187 lb.) bird for each 0.032 square-meter (49.6 square-inches) of inlet area, or fraction thereof, up to a maximum of 16 birds. The birds will be aimed so as to account for any critical exposed locations on the first stage rotor blades, with any remaining birds evenly distributed over the engine face area."

The engine isn't required to perform the small bird test if it passes the medium bird test, which can require up to 7 medium-size bird ingestions, depending on the inlet size.

Dave

So how do they do the testing? I can't imagine that they round up a bunch of geese and get them to fly into an engine.
I got nuthin

nah - he was Air Force! Them boys don't know to look for a bird farm!

can someone comment on how the hydraulics are powered on an A320? I'm curious how much effort/work it took to get that bird down....can you imagine how busy that cockpit was the last few minutes??? Muscle memory!

can someone comment on how the hydraulics are powered on an A320? I'm curious how much effort/work it took to get that bird down....can you imagine how busy that cockpit was the last few minutes??? Muscle memory!

The A320 is a fly by wire aircraft. If you lose hydraulics, you lose control. There's no backup control cables or anything.

As best as I can tell (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), the A320 has 3 hydraulic systems. Two are powered by engine driven hydraulic pumps and the 3rd is driven by an electric motor. Each engine has an AC generator, which of course would fail with the engines as would the hydraulic pumps. But there's a ram-air turbine that will deploy when both AC generators come offline. So I'm guessing the aircraft senses a loss of electrical power, automatically deploys the ram-air turbine, and keeps power coming to hydraulic system #3. It also seems to have 2 batteries... guessing they hold up the flight control computers during the switchover. Or maybe they run the APU continuously. That would provide hydraulic and electrical power. Don't know if it's shut off during flight or not.

But I could be wrong!

Dave

nah - he was Air Force! Them boys don't know to look for a bird farm!

http://www.aviationearth.com/aircraftdata/a320.html
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

IIRC the APU is also capable of powering all three. And since there was no systemic problem with the hydraulic systems or fuel, the APU should have been available.

Also it may be possible that the aircraft's engines were still running but not delivering enough power to maintain flight. (i.e. fan damage.)