downwardspiral

Introverts

I'm a big time introvert and my extrovert friends often regard me as weird and anti-social because of it which is not true at all. I happened to stumble across an article that describes us introverts pretty well so I thought I'd share.

http://briankim.net/blog/2007/10/top-5-things-every-extrovert-should-know-about-introverts/

Any other introverts out there in dz.com land?
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Nothing pisses me off more than when people say i need to lighten up or why don't i ever talk.

When that happens to me, I just start talking.
That teaches them never to say that again.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm an introvert ...

1. If a person is introverted, it does NOT mean they are shy or anti-social.

True. (But I am shy in unfamiliar places and around unfamiliar people.)

2. Introverts tend to dislike small talk.

True.

3. Introverts do like to socialize – only in a different manner and less frequently than extroverts.

True.

4. Introverts need time alone to recharge.

True.

5. Introverts are socially well adjusted.

True. (But because I am shy in unfamiliar places and around unfamiliar people and dislike small talk some people may believe I'm not socially well adjusted.)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Had two ex GFs that were introverts. I learned how to function around them. Took some getting use to since I am an strong "E". Learned a lot about how to deal/interact around them. Just can't date them. Current GF though is more the extrovert. Much better match.:)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I'm not even going to click on that. Get yer butt to the dz Sat night!! :)

You should read it at least for some insight. As far as the DZ on Saturday night? I'm going to politely decline but I do appreciate the invitation. ;)

Pretty good article. B|

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I'm not even going to click on that. Get yer butt to the dz Sat night!! :)

You should read it at least for some insight. As far as the DZ on Saturday night? I'm going to politely decline but I do appreciate the invitation. ;)

Pretty good article. B|

Yes, it is. :)
g

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Interesting article. I tend to test strong "E" but I do have some "I" tendencies that I see from time to time.

I used to work for a guy who, on the surface, might seem like a classic Extrovert, but someone told me that he was an Introvert and it kind of surprised me. But then I traveled with him once and I saw his "I" side come out - after a full day of work and early evening travel, we all rode over to the hotel together and it was obvious that he couldn't wait to get to his hotel room and recharge - alone. I was still feeling fine and social, but he showed that classic Introvert weariness with being around people that long. Thought about it more, and he definitely was drawn towards the deeper, more substantive work conversations than the higher-level, more fluffy ones. Knowing that helped me to know how to work with him - as he was an exec, I didn't want to waste his time anyway, but with him you had to especially dive right into the meat of the conversation and the work rather than wasting any time on the light stuff.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm an Introvert although I have been accused of being an extrovert on more then one occasion.

As I've gotten older I have learned to appreciate things that come with being more vocal and interacting with others... but I draw more energy from within myself and when I'm in an unfamiliar environment my introverted personality really shows up a lot more.

when I'm in a familiar environment or around people I know well I am more able to open up and be comfortable speaking my mind and sometimes come across as being extroverted.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I'm a big time introvert and my extrovert friends often regard me as weird and anti-social

Nothing pisses me off more than when people say i need to lighten up or why don't i ever talk.

I hear that.

Or "why don't you smile more?"...been hearing that since I was a kid.

I was born an introvert and I will always be an introvert to the bone. I am very polite, but quiet and keep to myself when I'm not around familiar company. Nice thing about people like me -- when I do smile, it is 100% sincere and I never smile for the sake of smiling.

I have no problem with extroverts (actually, I admire them), except for the ones who have a problem with people like me and jump to negative conclusions as to why I am not like them.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

"Hey... how about those Bucs?"
(barf)

Extroverts feel a need to attach themselves to a
group identity.

At 14, being a fan of a famous musician does not
make you famous. It just supplies something vapid
to talk about during uncomfortable silences.

Any other introverts out there in dz.com land?

I'm very much an introvert and always have been. I guess it can be a blessing or a curse depending on how you look at it. But when spring and AFF starts, I'm looking forward to hanging out at the DZ and learning alot about beer rules! ;)

I have no problem with extroverts (actually, I admire them), except for the ones who have a problem with people like me and jump to negative conclusions as to why I am not like them.

Totally agree. I get tired of people trying to "reform" me to be more like them and all "their" friends as if there's something wrong with me.

Most, if not all introverts tend to regard small talk as a waste of time

So unless you have something usefull to say, just shut the fuck up already!:ph34r:

Aw, yer just being antisocial.:P

I love people, but I'm a recharger and a thinker. Pretty much makes me an introvert, but I still love the small talk. Chit chat away, please.:)

then I traveled with him once and I saw his "I" side come out - after a full day of work and early evening travel, we all rode over to the hotel together and it was obvious that he couldn't wait to get to his hotel room and recharge - alone. I was still feeling fine and social, but he showed that classic Introvert weariness with being around people that long.

That's me. Sometimes, if we have a party or something with a full house of people at our place, after a couple hours I'll quietly sneak off upstairs and into our bedroom for about 15 minutes of quiet time to clear the din out of my head. (Or until I hear my wife's voice: "Where the hell is Andy? We need more coffee.") Or, if we're at a big party in our neighborhood (i.e., walking distance back to our house), after a couple hours of the same scripted small talk with the same neighbors as the last party, I'll have had enough, so I'll quietly tell my wife I have a headache: "See you back home", and off I go.

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. I DO like to go to parties & hang out with friends. No one has to drag me to go out to a party or social gathering. But I'm cool being by myself too.

Here's something that applies to me though:

If you really want to engage an introvert in conversation, skip the small talk. Introverts tend to love deep conversations on subjects that interest them. They love to debate, go past the superficial and poke around the depths in people’s minds to see what’s really going on in there.

I went out to dinner with a bunch of friends a few weeks ago. One of my homebrewing friends was there with his wife, who is a nice person, but a HUGE chatterbox.

Over the course of the evening, compared to her, I seemed like a really quiet introvert. But I actually did talk about a number of topics. Homebrewing, a recent play I saw at a local theater, some historical topics, etc. I would say what I had to say, then stop.

In other words, when I talk I have to have an ACTUAL TOPIC!! That woman can just fill up air space with constant chatter, and never really say anything of substance. I don't know how to do that, and I don't know why anyone would want to do that.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the article. Being an introvert myself I found it very interesting.
Something I've always found amusing is people's reaction when they find out I skydive, which is typically "I would never have thought you were a skydiver". It used to really bug me, but now I've come to expect it. Funny though how people tend to think that someone who is an introvert would be less likely to participate in a sport like skydiving.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

In other words, when I talk I have to have an ACTUAL TOPIC!!

Concur.

I'm not sure that the asserted correlations in the cited article hold up ... or maybe I'm just an exception?

I'm a strong extrovert -- I *do* get energy from being around people and from connecting people and from leading and give me a 5-person or 5000-person audience that I get to speak to & I 'love' it!

At the same time, I prefer substantive discussion. I also have no problem being alone -- whether on a Saturday night or backpacking a Colorado 14-er. And since I had to return my 'Crackberry' in July 2007 (it didn't belong to me but belonged to my employer), I don't have a electronic tether cell phone.

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I heavily lean towards the academic/substantial/intellectual conversations. I get that a lot too, when people find out that my hobbies are out of the box, they're totally shocked. I guess I seem really subdued because I don't just chit chat about stupid crap. Although I like to go out occasionally, I can't handle it in large doses- I get really irritated, especially if I have to deal with a bunch of babbling idiots. Being social is great, but we 'I' types need a break from the group thing.