kenneth21441

MT1-xx Modification to BOC

I have one MT1/xx that I jump alot along with my other rig.

I would like to know if a senior rigger can modify the rip cord to a bottom of container (BOC)?

And if Yes, what size should the bridle and pilot chute be?

Along with additional information would be helful here.
It would really be hard to contact the manufacture on this as they have said that this can not be done.

Any help would be gratefull.

thanks,

Ken..
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Yes it can be done. I have jumped and owned 2 rigs that had the BOC/throw out mod done to it. I used a regular bridle, and a 36'' PC. Make sure all the ripcord housings, and hardware are removed, or secured out of the way. Just have a regular spandex pocket sewn into the bottom flap. Then have a piece of velcrow sewn into the bottom flap that leads to the mouth of the BOC pouch. Once you change out the PC on the D-bag and then close the rig again you can mate up the bridle to the piece of velcro sewn on the bottom flap, and sew the other side to the bridle. It gives it some protection from the wind, but should NOT EVER be taken in to free fly positions. Keep it belly to earth is the best bet. Not having a ripcord to deal with on every jump makes this modification worth it 1000 times.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Why would he need 2 pins? only the reserve is a 2 pin set up, and I hope he doesn't use BOC to deploy his reserve;) He should only need one regular bridle that passes throught the same loop that the main deployment ripcord cable would normally go through.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Why would he need 2 pins? only the reserve is a 2 pin set up, and I hope he doesn't use BOC to deploy his reserve;) He should only need one regular bridle that passes throught the same loop that the main deployment ripcord cable would normally go through.

The old MT-1XX system has a 2 pin main. The newer MC-4/MC-5 systems have a single pin main.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

MT-1XX™ PARACHUTE
(IRAPS) FREE-FALL

The model MT-1XX™ parachute features identical (and interchangeable) proven 'X' 7-cell 370 sq. ft. spanwise constructed main and reserve canopies. This canopy is being adopted throughout the world as the new standard premeditated personnel jump canopy for HAHO and HALO operations.

Standard features include the reserve deployment system, 7-point adjustable harness, provisions for main automatic ripcord release (FF-2) or (optional) reserve automatic ripcord release. The adjustable waist band and 4 equipment rings will accept all current oxygen bottles, radios, navigation aids, weapons, rucksacks, lowering lines, etc. All of which integrate onto the parachute to provide a complete system.

Main and Reserve Parachute Specifications

L.D. 3 to 1
Span 28.5 ft. (8.7m)
Chord 13.0 ft. 94.0m)
Area (Square Footage) 370 sq. ft. (34.8m)
Max. Suspended Weight 400 lbs. (182 Kg)
Forward Speed 15-25 MPH (24-40 KPH)
Rate of Descent, Full Flight 14-18 FPS (4.3-4.9 MS)
Rate of Descent, 50% Brakes 8-14 FPS (1.8-3 MS)
Rate of Descent, 100% Brakes 4-3 FPS (.6-1.8 MS)
Canopy Material Nylon Ripstop
Suspension Lines Polyester Braided
Altitude Range 2000 ft. AGL to 30,000 ft. MSL
Deployment Velocity Range 0-150 KIAS
Reliability .999 to a 99.5% (confidence level)

Part No.
SYSTEM, COMPLETE PAR-7080-00
CANOPY, MAIN 370 SQ' PAR-7080-01
CANOPY, RESERVE 370 SQ' PAR-7080-02
RISERS, MAIN (PAIR) PAR-7080-03
RESERVE-DEPLOYMENT SYS. 370 SQ' PAR-7080-04
DEPLOYMENT BAG, MAIN PAR-7080-05
RIPCORD, MAIN (1 PIN) PAR-7080-06
RIPCORD, RESERVE (2 PIN) PAR-7080-07

PILOT CHUTE, MAIN PAR-7080-08
BRIDLE, PILOT CHUTE MAIN PAR-7080-09
PACK/HARNESS ASSY PAR-7080-10
POCKET, OXYGEN BOTTLE PAR-7080-11

I owned 2 MT1-XX mfg in 96', and they were a single pin main. This was taken from the paraflite site. I am not arguing with you, cuz I know you had more experience with them, but do you think they came out with different versions. I know 100% that I had a MT1-xx and not a mc4/5

[and I hope he doesn't use BOC to deploy his reserve]

Obviously never saw an old style Woomera. Australian Rig that utilised a pull-out / throw-away on the reserve. Apparently favoured by old CReW Dogs due to being able to place your reserve pilot chute outside of any wrap you may find yourself in. :S
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

The MT1XX was the interim parachute system which was displaced by the adoption
of the MC4 Parachute system (ARMY) in 1991. They are either gray or black in color. I have one in the living room at home and will try to get a picture posted tomorrow when I get home.

I know the MC-4/5 came out in 2 versions. One with 1 pin and one with 2 pins so you might be right about the MT-1XX system.

Sparky

All of the MT1-XX's used by the Army (at least Army Special Forces) were one-pin main. The Navy and Airforce had some two-pin rigs, but the AF CCT guys on Pope used one-pin XX's just like ours.

Chuck

The ones I have are on "loan" from the Navy for high altitude testing opps. The are gray and black in color. The early MT-1XX units the Army used had 2 pins for free fall and 1 pin for static line use.

Sparky

We (Special Forces, at least the 7th SFG, the 3rd SFG, and USAJFKSWC) never used dual pin XX's. I was there when the first one was fielded and the last one was replaced by MC-4's (also 1-pin). There was only one detachment (a 7th group team) that even experimented with SL with squares (MC-5 program) on Fort Bragg (or in USASFC at all).

I have seen plenty of two-pin HALO rigs, but only on the backs of Navy, Marine, and AF guys.

Chuck

I have seen plenty of two-pin HALO rigs, but only on the backs of Navy, Marine, and AF guys.

That’s was I said in the first place, MT-1XX rigs (at least some of them) have 2 pin mains. I am sitting hear looking at one right now. Actually it is a MT-1SX.

Sparky

I have seen plenty of two-pin HALO rigs, but only on the backs of Navy, Marine, and AF guys

All the MC-5's and MT 1X's I packed up for the PJ's were 2 pin main and reserve.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Stands for Para Jumper or Pararescue Jumper.

Somewhat of an elite group of special tactics folks that risk their own comfort and safety ..."That others may live" They have the BEST parachute loft.

Here's the best site I could find on short notice for the guys I worked for for a few months.

Pararescue Jumpers, The Maroon Berets

Google "Pararescue" and you'll find a lot of info.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I have three MT1-XCCTs.

All are two pin mains and I have them all modified with a BOC

One has a standard 370 Sq. Ft main, one a Paracommander and one a Delta II Parawing
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

Everyone is right technically. There are 2 pin AND 1 Pin models out there. However, as Chuck stated, the Army (SF and some AF) for the most part used the 1 pin models. The Navy and Marines(Naval Infantry ;)) typically use(d) THE 2 pin versions. I was one of the original MC-4/5 (SF)test bed jumpers as well as Jumpmasters when it was being tested. It was a 2 pin system that could be converted from the MC5 to an MC 4 relatively easy by a rigger in a matter of about 15 mins. Most of the containers that are gray or black usually end up being the 2 pin variety in my experience. I have even run into a camo pattern container that was 2 pin.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have three MT1-XCCTs.

All are two pin mains and I have them all modified with a BOC

One has a standard 370 Sq. Ft main, one a Paracommander and one a Delta II Parawing

Does anyone know if a sleeve-deployed SET-10 or MC-1 canopy will fit into the main compartment of a MT-1XX/MC-4? And yes, I know I'll have to change the risers.

Does anyone know if a sleeve-deployed SET-10 or MC-1 canopy will fit into the main compartment of a MT-1XX/MC-4?

If I am guessing correctly what you're trying to do here I don't think it would be a good idea but it may prove interesting;).I do believe a SET would fit in the main pack tray with a little convincing.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING