happythoughts

Newtons first law

There are two approaches to gaining knowledge.
a posteriori - or empirical knowledge is gained mainly
through experience. So, if your someone says that you cannot
change your fallrate, when you do it all the time, then arguing
is rather pointless.

"I change my fallrate all the time in freefall."
"No you don't."
:S
Seems pretty ridiculous, doesn't it?

a priori - is the "beforehand" knowledge.
Usually the empirical knowledge exists and then the a priori
mathematical tools are applied to give a formal structure
to the event. That structure is used to "predict" the behavior.
We all observed gravity before we knew it could be measured.

The problem occurs when the mathematics is incorrectly applied.

Newton's first law of motion is often stated as

An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

The argument error is always in the "unbalanced" force.
"Terminal velocity" is not a fixed number because the
forces can be changed.

Forces -
Gravity increases your speed.
Drag decreases your speed. Drag = body position and air friction.

People quote tests made in a vacuum. (Nobody jumps in one.)
If they did, no drag.
An open parachute and a closed parachute weigh the same.
In a vacuum, they have the same fallrate and skydiving would suck.

In a vacuum, there is no air friction caused by different fabric
types or air deflection on body position.

Arguments like these are promoted by people who don't
actually understand the concepts. Some too lazy to think it
through and parrot something that they heard before.
Arguing with them is valueless.

In order to end the conversation, I just ask, "If drag is not a
factor, then an open parachute and a closed parachute fall at the same rate, right? We'll test your theory. I'll open mine
and you leave yours closed."

However, I generally just drop the subject and move the conversation to other topics.

Now wait a minute here... let's give this some thought.
Hmmmmm.

Launch a chunk into the vacuum....no drag, no wind pushing you around...totally stationary...spin the guy in front of you for a side-body and once again for a cat.....Hmmmmmmmm....I see 100-point FS jumps!

But wait...who'd gonna pull the plug on the vacuum so the canopies would work?
Hmmmmmm....back to the drawing board.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

In order to end the conversation, I just ask, "If drag is not a
factor, then an open parachute and a closed parachute fall at the same rate, right? We'll test your theory. I'll open mine
and you leave yours closed."

However, I generally just drop the subject and move the conversation to other topics.

I started jumping young, and I can't tell you how many stupid arguments I've walked away from.:S:D That someone who barely got a C- in their high school remedial science class would know waaaaay more about how objects fall than someone with hundreds of experiences falling through space.:S Scientific curiosity and unbiased observation at it's best, eh?

In our family we have a very good saying:

"Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience every time."
;)

People quote tests made in a vacuum. (Nobody jumps in one.) If they did, no drag.

So don't bother organizing a tracking dive at the Moon. Got it.

When Kittinger was freefalling, it was estimated that
he fell at over 600mph because gravity kept
accelerating him, but there was no drag caused by
air.

On the moon, decelerating would be a problem.
:o

When Kittinger was freefalling, it was estimated that
he fell at over 600mph because gravity kept
accelerating him, but there was no drag caused by
air.

Did it make his eyes water??:ph34r::ph34r:
'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

People quote tests made in a vacuum. (Nobody jumps in one.)
If they did, no drag.

Technically, it's not possible to "jump" into a vacuum. But space walks come to mind.....

An open parachute and a closed parachute weigh the same.

In vacuum, weight is irrelevant, only mass is relevant. Weight is the function of gravitational acceleration between two objects.

Actually, in vacuum they will have the same acceleration rate, fall rate would be an instantaneous measurement of velocity at any arbitrary point, there is no terminal speed and skydiving as we know it is impossible.

Brilliant, well said !
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

Yes, in a vacuum, you'd continue to accelerate with no drag. You'd be going like 1,000 mph (a guess) when you hit the ground.

To the original poster - it sounds like your friends are as dense as mine!

Edit to add:

I forgot to add that the mass of an object in a vacuum has no effect on fall rate. All objects (regardless of mass) fall at the same rate of acceleration.

Here's the math, I won't bother to write it all out here.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/ffall.html

In vacuum, weight is irrelevant, only mass is relevant. Weight is the function of gravitational acceleration between two objects.

You're mixing your apples and oranges scientifically. Weight is measure of mass in a gravitational field. Vacuum is the absence of atmosphere. People often confuse those points because they equate weightlessness with being in orbit around the Earth. According to your logic, the astronauts would have been weightless on the moon, not just much lighter. An object in an evacuated bell jar on Earth would drift around weightlessly, mindless of the gravity affecting every other object on the planet.

As usual, Happythoughts logic was impeccable.

Yes, in a vacuum, you'd continue to accelerate with no drag. You'd be going like 1,000 mph (a guess) when you hit the ground.

I believe that if you started 100,000 miles out or so you'd be close to escape velocity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity when you hit. For Earth, that's about 25,000 mph. Some of the really smart math pros here could figure it out exactly. :)

I believe that if you started 100,000 miles out or so you'd be close to escape velocity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity when you hit. For Earth, that's about 25,000 mph. Some of the really smart math pros here could figure it out exactly. :)

There is the conflict of other gravitational attractions.

There is a spot between the Earth and the moon that
provides an equal attraction. There used to be a
group called the "L5 Society". It wanted a stable
space colony by 1995.

L5—a stable point in empty space where the gravities of Earth and Moon are balanced, so objects, including space colonies, will stay put forever. That was where they wanted to put it,
as a step-off point for space travel.

Hence their slogan, "L5 in '95!"

Go out far enough, and you might be headed for
another planet.
:o

Its kind of fun to play around with the numbers. Here is calculator for those that are curious.

Use 98 meters per second squared (the acceleration due to gravity on Earth), and an initial velocity of zero. Even after 10 seconds you'd be going over 2,000 miles per hour.

http://www.ajdesigner.com/constantacceleration/cavelocity.php

Its kind of fun to play around with the numbers. Here is calculator for those that are curious.

Use 98 meters per second squared (the acceleration due to gravity on Earth), and an initial velocity of zero. Even after 10 seconds you'd be going over 2,000 miles per hour.

Attraction varies with the distance from the Earth, so
that is not a constant.
Obviously, you can get far enough away that you
are not even attracted by gravity.

Attraction varies with the distance from the Earth, so
that is not a constant.
Obviously, you can get far enough away that you
are not even attracted by gravity.

Yeah, but at 14,000 feet, the number is so close to 9.8 meters per second squared, that you can use that in simulations with relative accuracy.

I was off by a decimal place too. I previously wrote 98 instead of 9.8! Makes a big difference!

I believe that if you started 100,000 miles out or so you'd be close to escape velocity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity when you hit.

Seems to me that if you have reached escape velocity you would not hit, that's the point. If you were going the same speed on a different vector you may achieve escape velocity, but since velocity contains vector, I don't believe it is achievable in the direction of the planet.
The other problem with your idea is that the only force involved to accelerate your smaller mass is gravity. That is precisely the force you are trying to overcome with escape velocity. Using force F1 to overcome force F1 would violate the second law of thermodynamics

You're mixing your apples and oranges scientifically. Weight is measure of mass in a gravitational field. Vacuum is the absence of atmosphere. People often confuse those points because they equate weightlessness with being in orbit around the Earth. According to your logic, the astronauts would have been weightless on the moon, not just much lighter. An object in an evacuated bell jar on Earth would drift around weightlessly, mindless of the gravity affecting every other object on the planet.

A mass accelerated by a gravitational field (unimpeded by externally applied forces like air or a scale or thrusters, etc.) has no weight at all, hence the term "weightlessness". Weight appears only when the mass is not allowed to accelerate naturally in the field. Weight = mass of the object X acceleration of gravity and is related to F=ma. Weight is really a measure of the force applied by a massive object accelerating in one reference frame to another massive object accelerating in another frame. A ball can weigh 3 pounds when weighed on a scale resting on the surface of the earth.......or the earth can weigh 3 pounds on a scale resting on the surface of the ball. No difference.

I believe that if you started 100,000 miles out or so you'd be close to escape velocity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity when you hit.

Seems to me that if you have reached escape velocity you would not hit, that's the point. If you were going the same speed on a different vector you may achieve escape velocity, but since velocity contains vector, I don't believe it is achievable in the direction of the planet.
The other problem with your idea is that the only force involved to accelerate your smaller mass is gravity. That is precisely the force you are trying to overcome with escape velocity. Using force F1 to overcome force F1 would violate the second law of thermodynamics

Reread the article. It states that escape velocity works regardless of vector, except for "downward". If you are accelerating directly at the planet, you will hit it. ;)

Kinetic energy away from a gravitational field coverts, through slowing and height, to potential energy. Once you begin to fall back, potential energy converts back to the original kinetic energy, with losses for friction, yes. Since we're talking about "in a vacuum", friction losses should be a minor factor.:)

A mass accelerated by a gravitational field (unimpeded by externally applied forces like air or a scale or thrusters, etc.) has no weight at all, hence the term "weightlessness". Weight appears only when the mass is not allowed to accelerate naturally in the field. Weight = mass of the object X acceleration of gravity and is related to F=ma. Weight is really a measure of the force applied by a massive object accelerating in one reference frame to another massive object accelerating in another frame. A ball can weigh 3 pounds when weighed on a scale resting on the surface of the earth.......or the earth can weigh 3 pounds on a scale resting on the surface of the ball. No difference.

The same ball weighs approximately 1/2lb on the moon, in a vacuum.

The same ball weighs approximately 1/2lb on the moon, in a vacuum.

Yeah, and the moon only weighs ~1/2 pound from the ball's point of view. Vacuum is mostly irrelevant.