The_Don

Skydiving Myths.

if he's going to start out that badly, I simply can't follow

But it seems more intended for whuffos, not elitists and works pretty well for that audience.

It's elitist to know the difference between skydiving and a parachute tow?

I suspect you pick at skydiving scenes in "fiction" movies too.

Are you saying that you can watch a movie about skydiving and not?!?

I can't get through a single movie with skydiving in it and not say "bullshit" at least twice. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The contrast is...you ever tried to watch a movie and someone wants to keep blabbing on about how they're not getting one thing or the other right? So yeah, calling bullshit is one thing, that dude who won't STFU is another.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The contrast is...you ever tried to watch a movie and someone wants to keep blabbing on about how they're not getting one thing or the other right? So yeah, calling bullshit is one thing, that dude who won't STFU is another.

That is precisely why I don't watch movies with other skydivers. :P:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yeah, there aren't any skydivers who act like they know everything about everything.:D

I'm actually alright with watching movies with skydivers since audience participation can be fun. Just gotta know that it's going to like that. Can't watch Schindler's List with skydivers because whether or not German guards were issued (insert gun type here) really doesn't fucking matter.

"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I wrote that list! I am Skydiver!

And good call... I have only 75 jumps and an "A" license.

I wrote it specifically for whuffos because we all know the myths... who else am I gonna write it for?

And quade... just so's ya know. I didn't pick the pictures... any of 'em. They were picked by the owner of the site. I had a great shot of a fella with a pilot in his hand and the bridle behind him but I guess the guy wants to use his own photos for copyright reasons. I also had a great shot of Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves yelling at each other in freefall for #9.

I thought it was a good myth because I can't tell you the amount of people who ask "when do you pull your ripcord?", and I have to describe the pilot chute.

It was just a bit fun for my friends who choose to keep their feet on the ground. Maybe it'll convince a few of them to try it!

I can't believe how many grade school scientists there are telling me that heavy people don't fall faster even though I've explained why and provided a link to the scientific explanation as to why!
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

I wrote that list! I am Skydiver!

And good call... I have only 75 jumps and an "A" license.

I wrote it specifically for whuffos because we all know the myths... who else am I gonna write it for?

And quade... just so's ya know. I didn't pick the pictures... any of 'em. They were picked by the owner of the site. I had a great shot of a fella with a pilot in his hand and the bridle behind him but I guess the guy wants to use his own photos for copyright reasons. I also had a great shot of Patrick Swayze and Keanu Reeves yelling at each other in freefall for #9.

I thought it was a good myth because I can't tell you the amount of people who ask "when do you pull your ripcord?", and I have to describe the pilot chute.

It was just a bit fun for my friends who choose to keep their feet on the ground. Maybe it'll convince a few of them to try it!

I can't believe how many grade school scientists there are telling me that heavy people don't fall faster even though I've explained why and provided a link to the scientific explanation as to why!

Who are you referring to here?? I didn't see anybody on the forum argue that they don't. you just talking in general?

I'm not the rope totin charlie Bronson wanna be that's getting us fucking lost.

There were at least five people who said that a heavier person won't fall faster than a lighter person because of Newton's 2nd Law of Motion. Even though it was explained over and over again that the 2nd Law of Motion doesn't factor into a 15000 foot fall with upward wind resistance and terminal velocity.

I understand why people don't get it, I probably would have thought the same thing but we learn as we go.

Thanks futuredivot and Sletzor, it was just for a bit of fun. I'm amazed at how many people seem to be an authority on something they've never done. I'm still green and I have A LOT to learn yet.
It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. - Clarence Worley from "True Romance"

Dynamics is a class for mechanical engineering, a trade in which providing the answer that is correct according to trade or peer knowledge takes the place of scientific proof.

Interesting outlook.
HAMMER:
Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a
kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the
object we are trying to hit.

I got into a debate over #6 with my Dynamics teacher.

The first thing that you have to understand about college is,
even if you win an argument with your instructor, they will
get even with you later. (Think grades)

Some teachers I wouldn't debate with but he is a cool prof. He doesn't hold grudges. :)

What the hell kinda college employs a professor who'd get that wrong?:S

Probably a school in Texas.:)

Dynamics is a class for mechanical engineering, a trade in which providing the answer that is correct according to trade or peer knowledge takes the place of scientific proof.

I've taken Mech Eng classes at university, thank you, and I kinda got the impression my lecturers knew a bit more than just stuff they'd picked up in the trade.

They certainly wouldn't be dumb enough to spout the bullshit that Txflier's is trying to. But then, this was at a damn good university.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Some teachers I wouldn't debate with but he is a cool prof. He doesn't hold grudges. :)

I assume you argued that heavy people can fall faster. You did, didn't you? ;)
HAMMER:

I assume you argued that heavy people can fall faster. You did, didn't you? ;)

Actually I cleared it up today he was talking about terminal velocity and I was talking about reaching terminal velocity. Then we got into the whole wind resistance and all that good stuff.. :)

I've taken Mech Eng classes at university, thank you, and I kinda got the impression my lecturers knew a bit more than just stuff they'd picked up in the trade.

They certainly wouldn't be dumb enough to spout the bullshit that Txflier's is trying to. But then, this was at a damn good university.

and what exactly is the shit that I'm spewing? That a heavier person will fall faster?
guess people don't need weight belts then?
try the equation Fg-Fr=ma. So some calculations.

Edited to add: oh I think just saw the 's that was for my teacher not me. :D:D:$ my bad.

oh I think just saw the 's that was for my teacher not me

That's the way the english works:P

(Although I'm glad to see you two were just talking at cross purposes, rather than him actually being wrong about it. That reassures me!)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Are you saying that you can watch a movie about skydiving and not?!?

No problem. Usually, there's at least one Know-it-all-skydiver in the group that pipes up to bug us. Parroting what we already know and just don't bother because it's a freakin' movie.

And never once during Lord of the Rings did I say - "hey, that's not possible", and during Star Wars I didn't bother talking about energy storage and field containment issues with light sabres. :S

It's entertainment.

Piping up on this stuff is just self serving prat in a impotent effort to try and impress others with one's amazing knowledge. Normally because the comments are always disparaging about the work and how the commentor knows SO MUCH more than they do.

I'd usually just ask them "oh my, are you a SKYDIVER? that's so COOL"

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

actually, this is a better response than mine

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

@John- No I was taught young that whuffos were retarded, I guess that comes with growing up at a dz and being raised by the community.:)

Well that would certainly explain your habit of putting people into either one of only two categories:

Fucking cool, or . . .

Fucking retarded.;)
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

And never once during Lord of the Rings did I say - "hey, that's not possible", and during Star Wars I didn't bother talking about energy storage and field containment issues with light sabres.

Hey hey HEY! Wait a minute! STOP!!!

What are you saying about Lord of the Rings?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Well that would certainly explain your habit of putting people into either one of only two categories:

Fucking cool, or . . .

Fucking retarded.;)

You know, there are two types of people in this world.
-Those who think there are 2 types of people in this world
-And those who don't.

Pretty deep, huh?;)

And never once during Lord of the Rings did I say - "hey, that's not possible", and during Star Wars I didn't bother talking about energy storage and field containment issues with light sabres.

Hey hey HEY! Wait a minute! STOP!!!

What are you saying about Lord of the Rings?

Oh something like it stole the idea for living speaking trees from the movie "The Wizard Of Oz"?

:P

Fucking cool, or . . .

Fucking retarded.;)

You know, there are two types of people in this world.
-Those who think there are 2 types of people in this world
-And those who don't.

Pretty deep, huh?;)

Actually, there are 10 types of people.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
HAMMER: