nipp1e_boy

Need advice - Big Way/Politics

OK - I need some advice and turn to the braintrust that is dropzone.com for advice. Forgive me for the length of this post (that's what she said!).

I was at a bigway camp at a dropzone not long ago (it's name rhymes with Herris). I wasn't there to really learn anything new as much as to "see and be seen" by the powers that be. I know there's a lotta politcs that go on in skydiving especially in teh bigway crowd so I wanted to get off on the right foot.

The problem I have is that I get the feeling that I was "shunned" in some ways - it was almost like being a 20-jump wonder or the new kid in high school. I'm not sure if it was becuase of my age, because of my southern accent, or because or because of somethign else. The "popular" jumpers all had their clicks within clicks and at times I felt quite out of place.

1. On more than one occasion during the debrief i was picked out as "needing to address" issues. On the first few jumps where we started out small the base just wouldnt fall fast enough. I have a bit of a beer belly but I suit u pand can slwo down to a good 125 mph when I have to. On one of the early 40-ways (my first - Beeeeer!!!) - I offered to go last out but the skygod plain captain suggested i go in the middle of the line. Well - thats what threw my timing off. On exit, I dove out tucked my head in and did a max-delta track to directly to the formation. I was tracking down so hard, all I could see was the inverted horizon. I was expecting to be diving for a good 10-15 seconds based on my visualizatoin of the jump which I had practiced being last out on, so had to slow down to stop. I was trying to slow down and get close to my slot to be efficient, but the base was falling too slow! I went past and spent th e rest of the jump watching the formation build from 100 feet below. During the debrief I brought up th e point about the base fallign too slow, but I felt the organizer (IMO) copped out by saying I needed to be prepared and to deal with it.

2. On the next few jumps there wer e other jumpers who went low after a funnel so I didn't have a chance to get noticed, but on the last jump of the second day of the camp I ended up low thanks to a funnel where a well-know jumper took me out. As the formation was rebuilding I decide dto be efficient and pop back up into my slot. But the "A-team" in the base were not switched on and when I slid under them to move up to my slot in the first line of dockers, they came crashing down on me!

On the ground, the debrief was very unfair - I was told I must never get under the formation. My only point to the organzier was that I was very heads-up and I thought she would be OK with doing a vertical move in the middle of the skydive. Anyhow, after that debrief I could sense the other jumpers were sort of "shunning me".

3. The final straw was on day 3 - during breakoff. I was in the second line behind the base. As the formation built, the base (again!) got lazy and began to slwo down and there was a funnell as some of us bigger guys tried to keep the fallrate up. Anyhow on hearing my dirt alert I turned to track. But there were people everywhere around me. I'm one of the best trackers at my DZ so I knew I could make it out of there without trouble. As I got into my track I really felt the wind speed increase as I jetted outt of dodge. But at pull time when I did my usual barrel roll, I see jumpers above and ahead of me. I'm very safety-conscience so I decided to wait for them to pull. This made me pull a little lower than I'm used to.

When i got on the ground (I was first down), the DZ manager/ST&A walked up to me why I had pulled so low. According to him I was in the saddle around 1200'. I was a bit pissed off abotu the jump so I kind of brushed him off - I mean I'm from a time when we routinely pulled at 1500 and below. And my Cypress didn't go off so I dont see why he was annoyed. Finally, I pulled low in order to be safe. He should have been thanking me!

After the debrief, the organizer talked to me. I think I impressed her with my skills. She was especially curious about my barrel roll which she said was interesting when she saw it from above, but she suggested I don't do it on bigways, I guess to avoid giving less experience d jumpers a complex.

So my experience at this event was mixed - I think I impressed the organizers but I realized that politics and clicks are alive nd well in skydiving. If we don't welcome newer faces to the fold I don't see how the sport can survive. And if you were one of the wannabe skygods at the camp, I hope you realize that you dont know everything about bigways and can learn from the more experienced jumpers.

So my question to the dz.commers is - I hate politics and the clics, but how do I get into the "mainstream" to make sure I don't end up on the infamous "do not invite" list? Should I get back in touch with teh organizers and try to explain concern? I'm frustrated, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Nipple Boy
A-19820
"Safety First! Fun Forever!"

Assuming you are not a troll....

Frankly, you need more practice and skill to do bigways. It's obvious to me that you were in over your head.

Back off and develop bigway skills and knowledge.

Oh...the other thing is...
Typical "blame game" stuff. Take responsibility for your own actions. For example, you went low because you flew there. Blaming the base fall-rate for your being there is unbecoming of a bigway jumper.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Try not to take things too much to heart. There's a lot of petty jealousy out there, and sometimes when someone is clearly above the average in skill and natural talent, others who are insecure try and knock them down.
Don't let some lame 1000 jump wonder try and tell you what's best...that type of person just talk to impress themselves. Clearly, you know what you're doing, so never doubt yourself.

Bottom line is, be yourself, and before you know it, you'll have people flocking to be in your clique!

:P

We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes.
-- John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

Should I get back in touch with teh organizers and try to explain concern?

Yes, immediately. Bigway organizers are excellent
for grammar correction. That is the first step in
being considered for large organized skydives.

Use the correct "clique" instead of "click".
"Click" has too much of an internet sub-theme.
You want to go with the foreign sounding "clique" so
that you sound more educated.

I'm frustrated, so any advice is appreciated.

The internet is your friend.
WomenInPrison.com can introduce you to a wide
variety of women who will be dating in 1-3 years (depending)
on behavior.

You fell for it! :D

Well, not really...I did preface with, "assuming....".
And yes, I've seen other posts from him/her.
:D:D:P

I just felt devilsh enough to publicly bash someone and he presented a wonderful opportunity by asking for advice.
:D:D

I did forget to add for him...

Suck it up cupcake.

OTOH, I did receive a PM with some background info so I now realize there's more to the story.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I was at a bigway camp at a dropzone not long ago (it's name rhymes with Herris). I wasn't there to really learn anything new as much as to "see and be seen" by the powers that be. I know there's a lotta politcs that go on in skydiving especially in teh bigway crowd so I wanted to get off on the right foot.

I highlighted your problem...... ;)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Nipple boy strikes again.

Is it bad when you recognize the trolls by name?

LOL.......
Right when I saw the the name under "Author" the "ran into another skydiver" thread popped up in my head and I knew I just had to read this one as amusement.....

Priceless entertainment as usual from the OP....
Troll or no troll.....
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Hi NB (I'll not use your real name since you seem to prefer posting with this one)

It was great seeing you at the camp and we look forward to more jumps with you. You do need to think about your "choices" on actions in the future, but I think you have a long and promising Big Way career in front of you. I saw you had been accepted to the "A" team for the upcoming Texas State Record and that will be a great opportunity to learn from other coaches and maybe even get a shot at doing the 160 way!

I do recommend getting a slightly larger jumpsuit--granted you can dive quickly (lord knows we saw that). When we asked you to wear a large sweatshirt to slow down your fall rate we meant that you should wear it OUTSIDE the suit, not stuffed under it to keep you warmer.

As for the "low" pull--it happens to everyone sometimes--just don't complicate it by spiraling down. Dan HATES it when someone lands before him--but landing in the opposite direction from him is what really steamed him. The low pull wasn't that big of a deal.

I look forward to seeing you in Texas and directly afterwards again in May.

Blue skies

ps. the barrel roll was really cool. Do it again on one of my dives and I'll kill you.

pps. If you really want to get on the cool dives bribe the organizers (cough) don julio (cough)

Hi Amazon
I assume this question is for me?

The answer--it depends. It depends on the currency, competence and confidence of the individual jumper, and it depends on their size and definition of "Big Way".

Big difference between wanting to be able to successfully and safely be able to do "fun" 40+ ways at a boogie vs. being one of the team members being selected for the next World Team.

Everyone will have different goals, and different answers to your question. As a rule we (P3) ask for participation on a P3 Big Way Camp before a P3 100 way camp--these two events can be done back-to-back and usually (so far at least) have resulted in 100 way completions for the campers. There are minimum requirements to attend the camp.

The next step--to receive invitations to larger 100+ sequentials, state, national and world records will depend on the individual jumper. I've seen meteoric advances by some but most take a more conservative route, preferring to do several camps (BWC and 100 camp) to hone their skills and expand their comfort zones.

Hope this helps!

kate

Yes.. the question was for you..

I really was curious...

I have the money to do them but the time is a severe issue.... I cant make the camps.. I just do not get the time off to attend camp after camp after camp...so I have given up on even trying...[:/]

From people I talk to.. I am cerrtainly not alone in that either.

That's a shame--as far as I know you've not done any or our camps--(but my memory may be faulty).

Our camps are not the only road to big ways (lord knows) We've simply created a convenient (for most) method for those who do have the means. Our camps do require 2 days off work (Thursday and Friday) and if you do both the BWC and the 100 way camp that's four days. You could easily travel back north between the camps if needed for work (extra $$ for travel though--I realize that)

By the amount of people who join us there certainly is a demand for our curriculum. We're already close to filling (again) 2 x 100 ways in May after the BWC of 160+ people.

Do 4 way. Do tunnel. Get on a team that goes to Nationals (although I suspect that will take as much time off work as a camp). See, learn, and be seen learning.

It's all good :D No frowny faces needed as long as we enjoy jumping!

kate

Hi Amazon
I assume this question is for me?

The answer--it depends. It depends on the currency, competence and confidence of the individual jumper, and it depends on their size and definition of "Big Way".

Big difference between wanting to be able to successfully and safely be able to do "fun" 40+ ways at a boogie vs. being one of the team members being selected for the next World Team.

Everyone will have different goals, and different answers to your question. As a rule we (P3) ask for participation on a P3 Big Way Camp before a P3 100 way camp--these two events can be done back-to-back and usually (so far at least) have resulted in 100 way completions for the campers. There are minimum requirements to attend the camp.

The next step--to receive invitations to larger 100+ sequentials, state, national and world records will depend on the individual jumper. I've seen meteoric advances by some but most take a more conservative route, preferring to do several camps (BWC and 100 camp) to hone their skills and expand their comfort zones.

***...or you could sleep with one of the Captains

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

I hate politics and the clics, but how do I get into the "mainstream" to make sure I don't end up on the infamous "do not invite" list?

Buy the organizers drinks. Lots and lots of drinks. Don't insist on talking to them (or being anywhere near them for that matter) while they are drinking, just be sure that they know who's buying.

Be generous with your stash. The candyman is always welcome at a big way.

Offer to take an organizer to Hawaii (or other warm and sunny place) for a well deserved vacation. This one will probably work best on that well known organizer who lives in Belgium, and needs to be done soon, before the sun comes out in Europe.