mrwrong

Hand grenade vs. DC-3 (accident in Colombia)

Just where the hell IS the CG on that plane anyway?

It happened just before takeoff, so I suspect full fuel tanks are the reason it is sitting like that.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Damn, I tried to get one of those turbine powered DC-3s for Dublin for two years.

If you spoke to anyone running radials on a '3', give them a call, they should be able to get a great deal on a turbine conversion - engines, engine mounts, props, nacelles, the works.

I don't think they're going to rebuild that bird.

Damn, I tried to get one of those turbine powered DC-3s for Dublin for two years.

It's been several years but when I visited the Covington, GA airport where Skydive Atlanta was at before they moved to Thomaston, I saw 2 or 3 DC3s sitting on the tarmac with cargo doors. Wonder if they're airworthy? Probably not...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's been several years but when I visited the Covington, GA airport where Skydive Atlanta was at before they moved to Thomaston, I saw 2 or 3 DC3s sitting on the tarmac with cargo doors. Wonder if they're airworthy? Probably not...

Google Earth still shows one on the tarmac there.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Just where the hell IS the CG on that plane anyway?

It happened just before takeoff, so I suspect full fuel tanks are the reason it is sitting like that.

the DC-3 fuel tanks are just forword of the wings on both sides between engines and fusledge about size med. size fridge.. looks like blast happen well behind fuel tanks

Damned good thing it happened on the ground and not in flight !

And if it had, politicians would be carrying on about "terrorists".:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Damned good thing it happened on the ground and not in flight !

And if it had, politicians would be carrying on about "terrorists".:S

I hate to state the obvious but we're talking about Colombia, it's not like the word Terrorist and Colombia haven't been used in the same sentence before.:D

The other thing that is not mentioned in that article is that the airport where it happened (Enrique Olaya Herrera Airport) is not the principal airport for commercial air traffic(any more) and the DC-3 is not a commercial aircraft but a government aircraft as were the passengers. The "grenade" in question was brought on by one of the police officers as they were being transported to Choco where they expect civil riots to break out,so it a safe bet that it was a riot control type of grenade and not your typical HE High explosive type grenade.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Pity about the airframe, yup.

Turbo Dak's came about ages ago, though. Nice thing is because the engine is longer & FAA regulations required a minimum distance between props and the cockpit, the fuselage had to be lengthened by at least 2 feet - loads more room for jumpers! B|

edit: can't find my original article, but Basler indicates a 40" stretch..

A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

How much more damage would the "good" gernade have done ? Does it have a different blast pattern.?

Not sure what you mean by a "good" grenade but a HE grenade, as in the kind designed to kill people, would have had a much more devastating effect on the airplane and the people within the kill radius.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

How much more damage would the "good" gernade have done ? Does it have a different blast pattern.?

HE grenades are one of few instruments of destruction that Hollywood tends to represent as much less powerful than they actually are.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!