wilcox

spectre with dacron lines - softer openings?

So, What do you think what the reason is why the canopy manufacturers prefer to use micro line on sport canopies nowadays?

If you look at the order forms on PD's website, you'll notice that Dacron lines are an option on most of their canopies (all but the Velo and Katana). I wouldn't think that the manufacturers prefer it over any other type of line, just that most of the people buying canopies do.;)

So, What do you think what the reason is why the canopy manufacturers prefer to use micro line on sport canopies nowadays?

I think you will find that line choice is customer driven. Smaller lines = more speed. But there are only a handful of canopy pilots that possess the skill for the extra speed to make a difference.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have about 1500 jumps on Spectres, of which I have two, both lined in Dacron.

I bought a new one a couple of years ago with new spectra lines. Openings weren't what I'd call hard, but not as easy as the Dacron openings are. Vicki said...snivel, snivel, snivel...pop! That's a perfect description. I have a bad neck/back, so I can't tolerate the pop part.

But with Dacron, the snivel goes on for 700 to 1000 feet. Very comfortable, but you don't want to pull low. Also very tolerant of sloppy packers, of which I am one. I think the real reason it slows openings is that the slider is delayed rebounding. You can feel it buzz down the lines with Dacron, but with the smaller lines, it zips right down to the bumpers and then you get the pop.

I wouldn't jump anything without Dacron.

--Paul

Also Skydive Radio show #7; there's a bit where someone (Joe Jennings?) spends some time heaping praise on his Dacron lineset for reducing opening shock when jumping camera.

Yeah, I think Joe Jennings deserves a bit more neck protection with the cameras he's flying. :o

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon