JumpinJules

teaching jobs in Colorado?

So, I've never been to CO, but I keep hearing that the weather is awesome and that there's tons to do. I might be jumping the gun a bit, but I'll be graduating in December with an Art Education (K-12) degree as well as an Elementary Education (1-6) degree. One of my professors said that a lot of schools in Colorado are building up quickly and are hiring new graduates. Was wondering if anyone has first hand experience or knows anything about good schools and areas to look into in Colorado? Thanks!
Into the great wide open/ under them skies of blue/ out in the great wide open/ a rebel w/out a clue.....

What part of CO do you live in?

The cold, snowy part; Halfway between Denver and Boulder.

Uh, oh; I hear scratching at the back door. I think that damned bear is trying to get in again.>:(
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

It's cold and snowy here, all year round.[:/]
We need to shovel the drive several times a week, even in July.>:(

It says it's 58 degrees in Colorado Springs right now! That beats the hell out of 30 degrees in Wisconsin!
Into the great wide open/ under them skies of blue/ out in the great wide open/ a rebel w/out a clue.....

Doesn't matter. The entire state is above 5280, so the lower lying parts are bad and it just gets worse as you gain altitude. Its horrible. No one should move here.

You do realize that the both of you have just popped that beautiful bubble I've had floating above my head... right? >:(

It says it's 58 degrees in Colorado Springs right now! That beats the hell out of 30 degrees in Wisconsin!

You can't believe that. It is just fiction to keep the tourists coming in.
CO residents have special login-required websites to get the real weather reports.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

CO residents have special login-required websites to get the real weather reports.

hahahaha

Uh, oh; I hear scratching at the back door. I think that damned bear is trying to get in again.>:(

You're kiddding, right?

Bears are big and usually just let themselves in.

Sometimes mountain lions scratch at the door, but usually they just wait for people to come out and have a snack when the people head out for exercise on the snow shoes or cross-country skiis.

You're kiddding, right?

Bears are big and usually just let themselves in.

Sometimes mountain lions scratch at the door, but usually they just wait for people to come out and have a snack when the people head out for exercise on the snow shoes or cross-country skiis.

Serious stuff
http://cbs4denver.com/pets/Coyotes.attack.Denver.2.942275.html

And as if the coyotes weren't bad enough, now we have these harmless-looking critters showing up to attack in the middle of the night:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/0224092assault1.html

...and the ice storms and blizzards...then all summer is hailstorms and tornados...*sigh!* yeah, really sucks here...;):D

so, Yo, did you go for a ride today? I enjoyed a dayhike out your way:)

...and the ice storms and blizzards...then all summer is hailstorms and tornados...*sigh!* yeah, really sucks here...;):D

so, Yo, did you go for a ride today? I enjoyed a dayhike out your way:)

Not today. I did get two rides in over the weekend, for the first time in two weeks. Then my back went haywire again on Monday, and I could barely hobble into Physical Therapy. Amazing the tricks that therapist can do. She is rapidly becoming one of my favorite people.

Most state departments of education have job search links. Googling Colorado department of education got me to this link in a few hits:
http://www.jobpath.com/csh/search.aspx?csh=csh_CDE

Despite the cuts anticipated, education is still an area where they will need people. You just have to be the right people - the competition is tougher.
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

Most state departments of education have job search links. Googling Colorado department of education got me to this link in a few hits:
http://www.jobpath.com/csh/search.aspx?csh=csh_CDE

Despite the cuts anticipated, education is still an area where they will need people. You just have to be the right people - the competition is tougher.

Thanks for that link! I'm amazed at how low the pay is for substitute teaching though... wow. In my district now I believe it's $115 for a full day.. it listed a full day as $85 on that website in one area! Looks like I'll be waitressing for awhile longer still.... [:/]

Mountain country usually is snowy and cold in the winter. You can always take up skiing. There's nothing better than summer in the mountains.

Teaching is a really tough profession these days. Once you are in a school district for a while you can move up on the pay scale. Having your summers off is a great plus. There is usually job security in teaching. This tough economy is even hitting the schools now.

I'd think Colorado would be a great place to live. I've lived in Montana all my life. I too am beginning to hate winter. Maybe that is because I live a long way from any ski run.....

i live in the springs, love the weather. sure, it's seasonal, but it's mild compared to many places i've been to up north. can get a bit windy next to the mountains, but no big deal. colorado has great weather imo, but you gotta like snow sometimes... and bears i suppose.

I hear ya. And I've recently learned how to snowboard, so I'm not completely opposed to snow all together... but from what I understand, it's not bitterly cold all winter long (like it can be in wi) I also like the fact that one of my friends who moved to CO recently told me they got 10 inches of snow one day, and it was 70 degrees the next day. Gotta love getting that vitamin D!B|

Teaching is a really tough profession these days. Once you are in a school district for a while you can move up on the pay scale. Having your summers off is a great plus. There is usually job security in teaching. This tough economy is even hitting the schools now.

Yeah... I understand what you mean there. The entire time I've been in school all our professors have been saying "Oh, when you guys graduate you will have NO problem finding jobs! There will be sooo many people retiring!" Well... with the economy how it is now, turns out that's not the case. It doesn't make sense financially to retire for a lot of people right now, so I figure I will have to pay my dues for awhile, suck it up, and sub until I can find something more permanent. I guess there are worse things, but it sure would be nice to have the health benefits when I have the time to get back into jumping and snowboarding and wakeboarding and every other really dangerous and potentially hazardous sport that I love!