samyueru

dbag

Anyone have a tip for packing into those D-bags that have a split down the middle? (hard to explain...it's like a d-bag with a vertical cut down one edge)

I cannot get my new zero-p in it to save my life!!!!

Maybe I'll just have to get a normal d-bag instead of this one that came with my mirage...

You can just get it sewn shut, as has been recommended, works quite well. If it cant be done right away, just start putting it in as normal. You will probably be fighting with the new canopy a bit, and the velcro will come undone, but dont worry about it at this point, just get the canopy to the bottom of the bag. Then you can either do up the velcro, or do the first locking stow or 2. That will stop the canopy from popping out when you do up the velcro. They arent too bad if you just forget about the velcro until the first couple stows are done.
Ask an experienced packer at your dz for help with it, or just get it sewn. If its a tight fit, it can actually help a bit with the velcro. Just check with your rigger.

I have a split D-bag like that in one of my rigs. Somehow I don't see how sewing it shut is going to make it easier to pack, the split makes it more forgiving, in my experience. I work one corner in, then the other, then roll it onto the top flap and shut the velcro. It's a new ZP canopy? Have an experienced packer give it a try before you decide to sew it shut, you might change your mind. I'm thinking your new ZP canopy is going to be a major pain to get in any D bag for a while, and that split can be your "friend", trust me. ;)

A split D-bag!??! Wow!! I ain't seen one of those in years!!!

So what you are saying is you have never seen a G4 D-bag? Hard to believe, a rigger from California not seeing modern gearB|

:S Ouch! *shakes cane at thepollster* Damn Kids!!! Get off My LAWN!!!

... anyway...

... but I have seen "Pack Opening Bands", "Open Corners on the Main Pack Tray", and even "Velcro Loops on the Back of the Neck on Your Jumpsuit for Stowing the Slider" (a really really bad idea IMO), come back into "style"... so I guess its just a matter of time before I run across one of these "new fangled" split G4 bags ya youngin's are talking about!

Anyway... so not to be "out rigged"... ;)... I surf over to the Mirage website to "study up" on this "new fangled" split-G4 bag thingy... and after clicking through their "way high-tech"... and over animated web-site... :P... I finally find a few pictures of the critter, and their claim regading it...

"To create the Mirage G4's tapered shape, we custom tailored its Main Bag to follow tapered lines. Its radical shape also enhances the teardrop aerodynamics for which the G4 is famous. To allow less restricted canopy deployment from this new design, we chose to split the main bag."

Interesting... after reading that and looking at the pics, I now feel more "informed", which is an excellent thing to be when it comes to skydiving and gear. :)
However... I'm still kinda wondering "why?"... especially after also reading that they're also offering a non-split D-bag for the G4. :$ Check this...

http://www.miragesys.com/TheLatest/NewsItem.aspx?NewsID=51

Non-split design makes packing easier!

Mirage Systems is now offering an alternative to the split G-4 main deployment bag. This non-split bag is actually a compatible size G3 bag that fits into a G4 container. It is not designed specifically for the G4 container, but is compatible. This new choice will allow you to replace your old split bag with the non-split version for only $55.00. If you would like to order a new G-4 container with a non-split bag, please specify under the special instructions portion of your order form and one will be included for no additional charge.

:)

So what you are saying is you have never seen a G4 D-bag? Hard to believe, a rigger from California not seeing modern gearB|

You assume way too much. I'm a current and active rigger and I don't see all that many Mirages let alone G-4's. There are many regions and some are not rich with every single model of every brand of skydiving equipment.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

You assume way too much. I'm a current and active rigger and I don't see all that many Mirages let alone G-4's. There are many regions and some are not rich with every single model of every brand of skydiving equipment.

I've only seen one Mirage G-4, in the short 12-yrs. I've been a rigger. In this part of the country, it's mostly, Javelins, Wings and Dolphins with a smattering of Talons and Vectors. The one Mirage I did I&R, was owned by a visiting jumper from Florida.
I agree with you, just because we are riggers, doesn't mean we see every type rig on the market.

Chuck

The split bag actually makes it easier to pack, unless of course you are retarded. I would try refining your packing skills before sewing it together.

I don't recall saying anything about 'sewing it together'. I guess you meant this for someone else. Since you asked... personally, I think, just my opinion, mind you but, I don't like split bags. There's the chance of getting parachute material in-between the Hook & Loop Velcro and, if, you don;t get the Velcro mated properly, it will 'chafe' the parachute material. They can be a real bitch to close the Velcro.

Chuck

The split bag actually makes it easier to pack, unless of course you are retarded. I would try refining your packing skills before sewing it together.

Boozy... I do not think there is a single one of us here that hasn't at one time or another packed using a split bag that is saying an un-split bag or bag that was split, but has been sewed up is now our preference. Personally, I just got sick of dealing with the Velcro once it started to wear out and by that time I had developed better packing skills that I could bag the canopy without a split bag.

You may like the G4s split bag version, but please consider that in the future, as you gain experience, you may change your mind, or not, that's okay and also note that Mirage even came out with a non-split bag version for the G4, in their own words, "Non-split design makes packing easier"... unless you think the folks who built the rig you use to save your life every time you skydive are retarded too?

Does that mean that everyone using a non-split bag is a retard?:|

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I like my G4 split bag (without velcro). Its easy to get the canopy in and the last locking stow is cental which I guess helps with an even deployment. I have a new G4 on orderB| and I'm going for a split bag again (but then its the only type I've ever owned)!

I keep hearing about Velcro split bags in this thread.

G4 split bags have no Velcro.

Jeff

True, the G4 split bag version is different then the older style "Velcro closed" split bags that I think a lot of us first think of when thinking of a split-bag. Hard to explain I suppose... I'll see if I can find a pic of the G4 version to post... or maybe someone else will. Anyway... the old Velcro style split bags are just plain ass. I sewed the couple I had up years ago... the split bags that is, not asses. Guess that makes me a retard... :P ... I think I'll go do a re-pack on one of my resreves today... hmmm... freebags aren't split... guess that makes them retarded too... Hey BOOZY!!! Are riggers packing resrves into non-split freebags retarded too??
:D