MB38

Appropriate helmets

I'm at the point where I need a no-frills noggin' protector and nothing more. I've been demoing a Mindwarp at the DZ, but I'd like to have my own helmet to save me the trouble.

Obviously the Pro-Tec Classic Fullcut is the beginner helmet of choice. It's cheap, readily available and functional. I can pick one up from a sporting goods no problem.

Now, I already have a helmet from snowboarding. It's a Pro-Tec Freecarve and is obviously quite similar. The only major differences that could potentially effect safety are the lack of hard ear protection and the higher back. The helmet's hard shell doesn't reach as far down towards my neck as a Classic Fullcut would [or the Bonehead, for that matter].

Do you think this helmet would be appropriate to skydive with, or should I just save my pennies and buy a Classic? The helmet works fine with my goggles and fits nice and tight. I just don't know if there's any valid reason to invest in a helmet with more ear [riser strikes?] and back-of-head [no idea?] protection.

Thoughts?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm at the point where I need a no-frills noggin' protector and nothing more. I've been demoing a Mindwarp at the DZ, but I'd like to have my own helmet to save me the trouble.

Obviously the Pro-Tec Classic Fullcut is the beginner helmet of choice. It's cheap, readily available and functional. I can pick one up from a sporting goods no problem.

Now, I already have a helmet from snowboarding. It's a Pro-Tec Freecarve and is obviously quite similar. The only major differences that could potentially effect safety are the lack of hard ear protection and the higher back. The helmet's hard shell doesn't reach as far down towards my neck as a Classic Fullcut would [or the Bonehead, for that matter].

Do you think this helmet would be appropriate to skydive with, or should I just save my pennies and buy a Classic? The helmet works fine with my goggles and fits nice and tight. I just don't know if there's any valid reason to invest in a helmet with more ear [riser strikes?] and back-of-head [no idea?] protection.

Thoughts?

I use a clasic Pro-Tec and quite a few others do too at my DZ. Some of my friends uses the snowboard helmet (including Jason Eames, I think he uses the snowboard version, - worldclass swooper) Both are fine.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I almost bought the pro-tec FreeCarve (i think...) a few weeks ago. I liked the ear protection because I figured I could mount an audible.

I liked all of the snowboarding helmets because they all offered real head protection, where all of the skydiving helmets are completely useless when it comes to whats most important - protecting your nogin from serious trauma.

The downside to a lot of these helmets is they don't offer any sound insulation - be prepared for loud freefalls.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The downside to a lot of these helmets is they don't offer any sound insulation - be prepared for loud freefalls.
_Am

I like the loud freefall noise and wind in the face...I do not notice the Protec (full), at all in the air. They said I would be deaf by now. They said that about the music too!
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Hey, i use a helmet almost exactly like that one in the picture. ($30 sportmart special).

those ear pads make great dytter pockets, just slice a slit in the back, remove the padding, and put some velcro to keep it shut once you're audible's in there :)
edited to add: I took off the goggles strap in the back, and wear my goggles inside. Less snag points IMO.

I think the helmet in your photo is fine. You'll save money because you already own it, and it is actually much better protection than most of the freefly helmets on the market.

It's very rare that your ears need much protection. It's mostly the junk between them that needs looking after.

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

most skydiving helmets are not engineered with as much safety in mind as a pro-tec of any kind. Most skydiving helmets are basically audible/camera holders rather than protection. And also skydiving helmets look cooler than a pro-tec.
p.s. I'm sooooooooooooo drunk
Sig lines are so stupid.

It's very rare that your ears need much protection. It's mostly the junk between them that needs looking after.

Kevin

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dytter mounting and ear warmth are more important to most skydivers.

Ear protection does not become necessary until you become a tandem instructor. Tandem main risers are as hard as iron bars at opening time and they can squeeze your skull something nasty when you get bad line twists.
Ask Steve Reid why he had to get his ear sewn back on ....

The only thing I dont like about the skydiving scene is the need for everything to look cool over safety/function. Someone alluded to "try getting laid with a protec". Why does it have to be like that? Its hard to get laid when your concussed or dead as well. I dont mind the wind noise or even the cold in the winter. The freefall is about 40-60 seconds and the canopy ride is a few minutes. If you cant handle the cold or the wind, then man up Nancy or find a new indoor sport.

/end rant

I jump with a classic Pro-Tech... it has almost as many jumps as I do since I bought it around the time I had 20 jumps or so.

The one pictured above looks like it would work too... but as somone mentioned, y'all may want to take the goggle keeper off of the back of it so it doesn't potentially become a line keeper.

The only gipe I have towards any open faced helmet... yes, even though I still jump one... is the $800 worth of dental work I had to have done about a year ago after I had my right front tooth broken in a freefall collision... :S

I jump with a classic Pro-Tech... it has almost as many jumps as I do since I bought it around the time I had 20 jumps or so.

The one pictured above looks like it would work too... but as somone mentioned, y'all may want to take the goggle keeper off of the back of it so it doesn't potentially become a line keeper.

The only gipe I have towards any open faced helmet... yes, even though I still jump one... is the $800 worth of dental work I had to have done about a year ago after I had my right front tooth broken in a freefall collision... :S

Sucks, but that could happen walking on the sidewalk too. :P

Sucks, but that could happen walking on the sidewalk too.

"I had my right front tooth broken in a freefall collision... "

You don't see to many freefall collisions on the sidewalk.

Sparky

Then clearly you aren't walking right.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Someone alluded to "try getting laid with a protec". Why does it have to be like that?t

Sex is dangerous, apparently.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Sparky

I was refering to the broken tooth, but I see what you are doing Smarty McSmartypants.

Sparky

I was refering to the broken tooth, but I see what you are doing Smarty McSmartypants.

B|:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals