darkwing

Need good cushion/support boots for jumping

I have a friend, an older skydiver, who is coming off a nasty ankle break (not skydiving related). He is looking for some good supporting and cushioning boots to jump with. I remember the French Paraboots we had back in the 1970's but I couldn't find any of those (at Paragear). Can anyone recommend a pair of suitable boots.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Yeah Hi-Tecs are OK,

Speaking from experience in my police work in UK Id recommend (if they can afford them) a nice set of magnums. Feels like your wearing trainers but with great lateral support. You can certainly chase after scumbags in them!

The ones with the thinsulate panes instead of leather would be ideal for skydiving, greater movement and breath nicely.

See attached pic.

Go to a military surplus store. Pick up a pair of jungle boots. They will last forever if all you use them for is jumping, give you all the ankle support you need - and you can get a pair for less than 30.00.

I wear my desert boots when I jump and they do just fine.

Most army boots are designed for walking, but do not provide nearly enough ankle support to prevent fractures ..
You really need two vastly different types of boots.

Try looking into the latest generation of ankle supports, that are just reaching US Army airborne troopers now.

Most army boots are designed for walking, but do not provide nearly enough ankle support to prevent fractures ..
You really need two vastly different types of boots.

Try looking into the latest generation of ankle supports, that are just reaching US Army airborne troopers now.

Wouldn't they be a snag hazard, like eyelet hooks on hiking boots?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The ankle supports the Army is using has been in service for the Airborne since pre-1997.

They have a smooth outer surfice but there is still a potential for a snag.

The Freefall Jumpers do not use them, but the Static line students and now some of the 82nd do. The Staic line jumpers have less of a chance to snag a suspension line during dployment (all thoug hit does happen).

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Go to a military surplus store. Pick up a pair of jungle boots. They will last forever if all you use them for is jumping, give you all the ankle support you need - and you can get a pair for less than 30.00.

I wear my desert boots when I jump and they do just fine.

They may work initially when you are PLFing, but in my opinion, boots with serious tread such as jungle boots are NOT good for landing when you need to run out the flare. The tread can get caught on rough ground very easily. This is one of the reasons you see so many skydivers wear flat shoes like Vans or Converse. ... just one man's opinion.;)

I thkn one of the Golden Knight Demo Team Team Leaders has the best set I have seen.

He has a pair of the Adidas GSG-9's resoled with a "Vans" type sole.

Support and slide or run ability in one black shoe!

I use vans for tandems and sabre/rage/riot parachute landings and GSG-9's for all others.

Like a previous poster 2 pairs of different shoes for 2 different uses.

I didn't help did I?:S
Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I personally like the all leather combat boots that the military issues. I have yet to twist an ankle on those.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

I remember those boots too! I actually had some high top jump boots made by Adidas at one point too, but I'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore either...

They make them but they are called GSG9 now. They are great for jumping.

Sparky

http://www.botac.com/adgstacboot.html
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

How about trading out the canopy for something that doesn't thump the landings?

He is coming off a bad break (fell off a ladder), and even a soft landing on uneven ground could be a problem. Best to be extra cautious. He has a Pilot 168 and loads it about 1.2 I think, maybe less.

Thanks to all for your excellent suggestions. I have passed them on. There are two or three excellent candidates for his new boots.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History