skymama

Donation information for Tonto's "adopted" child

Just a brief update for those interested...

We're just under $2,000 US Dollars raised for Tonto's adopted child.

Nothing says we have to stop this on "X" day, you know. I can wire when we hit $2k, or $2k, and then wire again the next time we hit a milestone, or whatever we think is appropriate.

-Peter

Hi Peter,

Just got an update that the trust has grown by R11,470.00 (+- $1600).
Funds will also be coming from the closing pins that Jaye (ACMESkydiver) is having made ( last chance to place your order ;) )

Any update on when this thread's funds will be transferred? Just want to post thank you's on our local listserve as well.

Thanks once again to everyone who've helped thus far!

Johann
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

Was just talking to SkyMama about this yesterday. I'm going to transfer the money on or around the 15th - After that, any donations made to the fund through my PayPal account I'll transfer once every three months.

Will give a total as we get closer.

:)

-Peter

Hey all! Great news!

Our local radio station granted "Silindile's Christmas Wish" - they organized an SA medical company to pay for her tuition fees, uniforms, text books and transport costs for her entire school career! :)
Check out wish #3: http://www.highveld.co.za/thelounge/events/Christmas_Wishlist_20071112/Wish_Granted/Wish_Day_14.asp

-Chanti-

:)
Make sure to listen to the podcast, too. (Chanti, I just put two and two together and realized that you are the person who called the radio station about the wish ... SO cool of you!!!!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

:$Thanks Krisanne, that's sweet, but I don't deserve any thanks - Taya and Tonto are the ones who started this amazing project and now AON are keeping the ball rolling.

What an amazing company! They just phoned me now to ask for contact information - all at the office put money together to buy some Christmas presents for Silindi and her family. How cool is that!?!?! :)

-Chanti-

Happy new year. I've just returned today to Princeton from South Africa (one more semester to go if I can pass these exams coming up). While in Joburg I visited Silindi in Kliptown and brought her and her mother over to the house where I was staying for a braai and a swim in the pool with other friends and their kids. She is doing amazingly well. Apparently she has been asking about me and Eric since it's been longer than usual between visits (I didn't get to see her, just her mom, right after t passed away). When she saw me walking up the path to her house, she ran and jumped on me immediately! She is doing a lot of dancing and drumming, with an amazing sense of rhythm. They work on this at school.

She's also growing, and very proud of two new front teeth coming in. Her smile is as infectious and radiant as ever. She hasn't been told that Eric is gone. I think this will wait until school starts up again so there are plenty of teachers and social workers around to explain why he isn't coming to visit when she asks again.

She is a confident young thing now, jumping, running, and skipping all over the place in her community. She greets people and functions perfectly well with improvised sign language. Her mom, Thandi, is doing great with her signing, and mom and daughter communicate nicely. Their relationship really seems to have improved, I'm sure due to the support from St. Vincent's school.

I have uploaded around 20 pictures from my visit a few days ago to Picasa, since I can only post really small photo attachments here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/tayaweiss/Silindile

Blue skies always, -T
It's the Year of the Dragon.

Today is Eric's (tonto's) birthday, so it seems like a good time for an update. I know it's been a while, but for those who haven't forgotten :)
Aon has continued to sponsor her school fees and pay for uniforms, stationery, etc. With the current economic climate, we're cautiously trying to tuck away a little extra cushion just in case. There are also other elements of providing support that fall outside of Aon's contributions, which are shored up by the generosity of all who gave to the Trust in Eric's memory.

Since the family has no private health insurance, we need to be prepared in case of any medical or health issues that might arise. In the longer term, we would like to be able to help Silindi go to university or get vocational training after secondary school, which is when Aon's support ends.

In a more immediate sense, the next big step is trying to help Silindile's mother to find a better home so they can eventually move out of the shack where they live. I sometimes fear for the safety of Silindi and her brother in the environment of the squatter camp. Fire is a perpetual hazard, and there is little or no privacy. For a while last year Thandi, her mother, moved into a shelter, and she has been very proactive about contributing as much as she can, but that was only a temporary solution.

The great news though, is that this resilient, beautiful little girl continues to grow and thrive, in a story that really defies all the odds of the circumstances she was born into. I am proud and happy and continue to be moved by the way people in the skydiving community mobilized to build the foundation for something we cared/care deeply about. Thank you, again.

And happy birthday, t :)

It's the Year of the Dragon.

Thanks for the update! :)
She's certainly a bright-eyed girl, given the circumstances that she lives in. It's no nice to hear that she's thriving.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Very cool to hear that she's doing well!

Take care, Taz. I still have a photo of you on my kitchen cabinet flying over South Africa. I was thinking about you just the other day whilest getting out the peanut butter. :)

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.