skymama

Donation information for Tonto's "adopted" child

Hi Everyone-

Some of you may have read my post in the Blue Skies forum that Tonto and Taz had "adopted" a deaf child in Africa. He told the Mods this just a few weeks ago in the Team Room. His post was as follows:

Taya and I support a little deaf girl from Kliptown, Soweto.
She was 3 when Taya noticed she was not like the other kids. The teachers at the creche thought she was retarded. She organised a friend at WITS university to test her, and she's profoundly deaf.

Taya organised that she and her mother both recieve schooling at St Vincent's school for the deaf in Melrose, North of Johannesburg. They have both learned to sign, and Silindile can now express herself. She's a bright little thing, and she's now 6 years old.

I stop in through Kliptown on the way back from the DZ in Carletonville about once a month, drop off some potatos, some spinach, some new clothes before winter. I pay her taxi fees to school and back, and her school fees. She gets 2 meals a day at school.

Taya sold her car for $1000 when she left for Princeton last year and opened a trust with that modest amount, and since then I've added another $1000 to the cause, and it keeps her in school.

After Tonto's death, I asked Taz (Taya) if there was anything the skydivers could do to help Tonto's children or his adopted child, Silindi. She responded in part:

Tonto's girls will be well taken care of with his life policy and a special education policy he had for them that covers school costs through university. His father and the girls' mother are going to carry that forward, with me and the skydivers closest to him here standing by to help and advise in whatever way we can.

What falls to me is taking care of the people that both he and I cared for in ways most people didn't know about. Silindi needs help. I am still a student, and until I am back in the working world this is a way that the skydiving community can help to carry on what tonto did in the quietest of ways.

I moved to South Africa at the end of 2001 to find my path and my calling, and I found him. He embraced me and loved me and validated the work I did here, which most people thought was crazy. He had a way of helping people who were vulnerable that came together with the spirit of why I moved to Johannesburg. I will never forget the way he took to Silindile.

There is a trust in South Africa for Silindi that is held by one of their friends who is a lawyer. Taya said it would probably be easier for someone to collect any donations and wire transfer one amount than for everyone to try to do it individually. Peter Shankman (ntrprnr) has graciously agreed to let us use his Paypal account to collect any donations and I'm confident that we can trust him to forward all of the money that is collected.

Please send any donations to Peter at [email protected]. If you'd rather send a check, I'm sure you can PM Peter for his address. I think this is a beautiful way that you can remember Tonto if you so desire.

Thanks. :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm quite trustable, and I'm happy to play some small part in this. Thank you Andrea, for allowing me to do that.

And I'm really trustable. My being on Fox News 20 minutes ago doesn't make me less trustable. :)

I'm in

I can give up a few jumps to maybe change someones world for the better.

Thanks Peter

jf
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Andrea,

Thanks for posting this, the reality is that the welfare system in South Africa is some what lacking, and people with disabilities are often side lined for pregnant teenages or AIDs victims, and due to the previous political system, the majority of the population is still either unemployed or paid very little in terms of wages. So caring for a person with a disability makes it hard, and then there is the social rejection from both family and community these people have to endure.

The ability for Eric and Taya to take the time to assist one person is amazing, and the efforts should continue.

And for those of you who wonder what the reason for this all is, remember this tale ....

"An old man had a habit of early morning walks on the beach. One day, as he looked along the shore, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer. As he came closer he saw that it was a young woman and she was not dancing but was reaching down to the sand, picking up starfish and very gently throwing them into the ocean.

"Young lady," he asked, "Why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?"

"The sun is up, and the tide is going out, and if I do not throw them in they will die."

"But young lady, do you not realise that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it? You cannot possibly make a difference."

The young woman listened politely, paused and then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves, saying:

"It made a big difference to that one."

A good number of donations are coming in. Let's keep it up. :)

Also - I'll take care of whatever the wire costs are, as well as putting back the fees that PayPal takes out, so we have the full total. That'll be my contribution.

:)

Thanks, Peter!

I got a pm from someone saying the wire trasnfer would be about $40. How much does Paypal take out?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have had to jump from forum to forum to figure out what is happening here.

As someone who is adopted, I am moved in more ways than one by this story. I have been feeling compelled to consider adopting a child myself, but I have a "titanic" mentality about life...women and children and the people in most need come first. It would be easy to adopt a healthy baby. But, what would be the impact if I adopted a child with HIV from an impoverished nation?

With my insurance and my gift of being good with kids, I could really make a huge difference in one persons life. Yes, there are a million that I can't help but......

Taya,
Are you still at Princeton? I have several friends there. Also, I get buddy Passes on Delta, and they go to South Africa now...Its standby but if you need some passes they are yours. What else can we do to help?

Here is my story:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1461817;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

Hi everyone,
I've been feeling quite shy to post, as I have so few words right now. Thank you so much for the support and encouragement that have come through these forums--it means more to me than I can express. A few minutes ago I found pictures I thought I had lost, of the last time Eric and I visited Silindile and her little brother Cebo in Kliptown together. Cebo is hearing and attends a creche (preschool), benefiting from Silindi's trust also in that the family receives food and support as a whole. I wanted to share a few of these pictures here.

Love and blue skies, -T
It's the Year of the Dragon.

Just a brief update for those interested...

We're just under $2,000 US Dollars raised for Tonto's adopted child.

Nothing says we have to stop this on "X" day, you know. I can wire when we hit $2k, or $2k, and then wire again the next time we hit a milestone, or whatever we think is appropriate.

That said, I'd also add that if you're not from the US and want to donate, your Euros and other currency, thanks to the horrific current slide of the US Dollar, is worth a lot more - For instance: 100 Euros equals $146.18 dollars - And since I'll wire in US funds, I believe we get more bang for our buck that way.

Either way, big props to everyone who's donated, from big amounts to small, you're all good people. And those who've done other things, closing pins, prayers, even just a good thought - well, you're all good people too. :)

Do we have a concensus on when I should make the wire? Andrea? Want to ask and get back to me?

Happy Thursday, all. :)

-Peter

Hi,
The trust is set up to pay for Silindi's education and care for her basic needs until she turns 25. As she gets older, the costs increase, especially the school fees. To put it in perspective, we were probably spending about $100 per month on supplementing the family's food and paying for school supplies. Transport to and from school costs around $60 per month, and increases whenever petrol (gas) prices go up. The biggest amounts go directly to St. Vincent's School for the Deaf in Rosebank, which provides an amazingly supportive community for deaf children from preschool all the way through until graduation from high school. School fees will be around $1000 next year I think. Eric and I both always hoped that Silindi would go on to university, as we hoped (and I still do) for Caleigh and Shanna to do as well. So we are trying to build up a savings that can have a long-lasting impact throughout her life. The hope, of course, is that she will become a leader in her community and a positive influence on her family as she grows up.

If someone is keeping track of who contributes, I will put together an email list of those interested, or could post here, to keep everyone updated on what happens with the trust and with Silindi's progress over time. I love to share the positive impact people can have on a child's life even from half a world away.

Thanks to everyone for your support and interest in this part of Eric's life. It is really going to make a big difference.

-T

Peter should have the list of those that donate to this thread, and Jaye (ACME) would know how has requested closing pins in the other sticky thread.

Thank you for allowing us to help you continue his/your wonderful gift in his name to such a deserving cause.

Peter should have the list of those that donate to this thread, and Jaye (ACME) would know how has requested closing pins in the other sticky thread.

Thank you for allowing us to help you continue his/your wonderful gift in his name to such a deserving cause.

I would like to see updates here if possible - for those who have donated directly into the SA account and may not be on anyone's email list.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Donation made Peter.

Taz it would be great if you could keep us posted on Silindile's progress and also allow us to keep the donations flowing should you ever need more funds for her education in the future. As a SA (now living in NZ) I can appreciate the difficulties you may experience in the future. if there is anyway I can assist in the future re funding or anything else please don't hesitate to contact me directly ([email protected]) anytime.

I had enormous respect for tonto and in all his contact with me his love for you shone through the pages.

Take care
Rich (Doc)
---------------------------------------
Everything that happens to you in life is your teacher. The secret is to learn to sit at the feet of your life and be taught.

Thank you so, so much. I will post a full update here at the beginning of January to let everyone know how much is in the trust after the holiday giving season, how Silindi's holidays were, and how she's doing in school.

Last January Eric and I did this together; this year he will be with me in spirit but I will miss him beyond words. It will help to know that you all are thinking of us, and that his memory lives on.

With love, -T