iluvtofly

Can dreams cause physical injury?

Last night I had a dream that I hurt my ankle skydiving. Nothing big, just a sprain or something like that. I had a limp the rest of my dream.

Well, I woke up this morning and the same ankle has been hurting me all day. I can't think of anything I've done that would cause it to hurt. Is it just a psychosomatic thing? I don't sleep walk (or at least I never have in the past).

I just think it's odd that I dream about an injury and then I wake up with it.

My guess would be that you injured your ankle either before or while you slept and your brain pieced together a little story for you so it could understand the pain.

It's not at all uncommon for a person to hurt themselves during the day and never even notice it until after they sleep and wake up the next morning. For, uh, whatever reason. ;)

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

k I get a guess too!!

you dreamed you hurt your ankle and kept it stiff all night mimicking how you would do if it was hurt and so no movement and or keeping it stiff all night led to hurting durring the day
(I.C.D#2 VP)
"<3 ..Looks like breasts coming out of an ice cream cone. Mmmm."~John Mitchell
"I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

The only time I remember a dream causing physical injury to me was when I dreamed I was Bruce Lee and punched the fuck out of the lamp on the night stand, smashing the bulb. I woke up to blood all over that side of the bed. :S:D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

When I was a kid, I twice woke up standing in the living room in the middle of the night.[:/]
That was the extent of my sleepwalking, (AFAIK).:S

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Or how about when you are awakened from a nice sound sleep, because you are getting tossed all over the place as your car bounces along in the grass median of I-70?
I hate waking up that way.[:/]

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Did you roll out of the top bunk bed or something?:P

I did that as a kid once.:$ landed right on a train set in the bedroom floor. ( it was right after x-mas) hurt like hellB|
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Did you roll out of the top bunk bed or something?:P

I did that as a kid once.:$ landed right on a train set in the bedroom floor. ( it was right after x-mas) hurt like hellB|

I used to always hit my head on the ceiling. My alarm was a really loud bell clock and it always scared the shit out of me.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

my mom heard a story from someone at a teachers convention, of a lady who dreamed she was diving into a pool, unfortunately for her, in her sleep, she dove off her bed and broke her neck, luckily she was found by someone, because she couldn't move to call for help.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Last night I had a dream that I hurt my ankle skydiving. Nothing big, just a sprain or something like that. I had a limp the rest of my dream.

Well, I woke up this morning and the same ankle has been hurting me all day. I can't think of anything I've done that would cause it to hurt. Is it just a psychosomatic thing? I don't sleep walk (or at least I never have in the past).

I just think it's odd that I dream about an injury and then I wake up with it.

While sleeping I kicked through a glass candle holder and the half-inch particle board shelf it was sitting on. Got blood on two walls plus the vaulted ceiling and had to wear sandals for over a week.

Another time I woke up screaming while diving off the bed but didn't get injured. My (now) wife was pretty surprised.