LifeIsTooShort

Jumpsuit Advice: AFF Student

I've paid for the AFF program, and though not too heavy to jump tandem, I do not fit in the jumpsuits that 2 out of 2 DZs I've been to. I've got many jumps under my belt but all tandem, I need to buy a student jumpsuit, with the handles, to continue the AFF program. Better to invest in a jumpsuit than continue to spend money on tandems. I don't know where to start, and Google provides too wide a search. Advice?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to go used. You're probably going to rough it up and get it dirty during your student jumps. There's a jumpsuit category in the classifieds section on this site and several active facebook groups that sell all sorts of gear and accessories. You're looking specifically for a RW suit without booties.

Good luck with AFF.

Tell us your size and we'll be able to help better. Certainly no need to buy a custom new one.

Here is the link to one generic, off the shelf jumpsuit available immediately.
http://www.paragear.com/parachutes/10000012/SLIPSTREAM-II-SKYDIVING-JUMPSUITS

or in Europe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skytracs-AFF-Suit-Suit-XL-Skydiving-Suit-Jumpsuits-/272099856213?hash=item3f5a6a4f55:g:t10AAOSwaA5WkTqq

And if you want to go redneck get a coverall, take the pockets and loops off, sew up any slits for inside pockets, and sew on to the upper arms and thighs 1"-1 1/2" poly rope wrapped in polycotton fabric.:P Have a rigger do the last part to make sure it's strong enough. Also cut off the collar or it will slap you silly in freefall.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Seek advice from your instructors. I did an AFF jump in cold weather wearing insulated hunting coveralls. Unless they really want you to have grippers, you might get by with some form of coveralls until later when a jumpsuit would actually be needed.

Waiting to buy a custom jumpsuit is a good idea. Your fall rate can be adjusted by the right type of jumpsuit. This will be important when you are jumping as a licensed jumper.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Pick a reputable suit maker, find a good dealer, send them your measurements, pick your colors and options pay your money and wait.

A good dealer can help you with options. Probably grippers everywhere and booties with zippers.

Sizing, fabric and layering options for your body type is important so your height and weight will be used to determine what type of suit you need for a good middle of the road fall rate. This is where getting a good experienced dealer helps. There's nothing worse than starting out fighting your suit to get the right fall rate and going low or floating on groups. Hurts your rep too.

I'm 5'10" and 185 and have one you could use if you need until you get one. I have not jumped in a few years (been paragliding my arse off) and I bought it used/cheap so would be good if someone used it. Its an old RW suit so has some oversized grips on it. I used it on my later AFF jumps and a bit in the tunnel.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

The good news is you are going to be a natural at belly flying. Bad news is you are going to have to learn to fly your body wide open so others can keep up with you.

You can get some random pair of coveralls and trim the pockets like others have said, and have your rigger give it a look over before you jump it just to make sure you don't have any surprises in the air.

If you have the money to spend and really want to get a new jumpsuit right away, do it through your rigger, pro shop or DZO. They can match you to the proper suit type and fabric to help you slow down.

I don't know what gets your rocks off, but if you are just out to have fun, take it slow and learn, you could use your disadvantage as an advantage and get in with the RW crowd at your DZ and you'll learn a lot from them and have a better time than tumbling around by yourself.

Asked a very similer question when I started; ended up going witha tailor made RW suit.

My thinking is I wasnted to get good at that before progressing to free fly. Go custom if you can.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4752625;page=unread#unread

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.

Thanks again y'all. My only goal now is to learn & to not kill myself. That's it. I just need a jumpsuit to continue learning. But hey-good to know fat will have some kind of benefit. ;) I'll take that as good news, for now.

I don't live near any DZ, but I will consult with the one I visit most frequently on advice for buying a suit. I've asked previously but was not in a position to buy one (new or otherwise.) I've recently saved up a couple hundred & just really want to get this process going.