guppie01

Resume - ever lied

I recently discovered someones personal files (silly boy put them on the shared drive)..... well, after reviewing 4 different resumes (for different companies he was applying to) he had on there, I found some discrepancies regarding education / responsibilities, etc.

I was shocked! a) he seems like such a straight forward guy, and b) I've never lied or embelished.

I made this a poll as I figure some don't want to openly admit to something like this.... but was curious how frequent this happens.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Never alter your resume.

The lies to make yourself look better will bite you in the butt later.

Having an extra one that downsizes your skills to have on hand "just to get the job" will bite you too. Squishes your chances for advancement.

Be honest! :)

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

It's called Creative Writing

LOL I guess I didn't need to do that.... I've recycled back to the same boss for the last 15 years.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
OMG, is she okay?

Sheesh... amateurs. I've never had to lie.

I'm just so fucking shit hot that I have a hard time cutting out the less important stuff to keep it down to only one page!

:)

Actually, no, never lied. I figure the only thing worse than not getting the job is setting the bar too high for myself!

Elvisio "HA!" Rodriguez

EDIT: I've heard of folks "leaving" their resume on the shared drive at work. They might try to play it off and say "whoops!" but it was always really intentioned to be a thinly veiled hint to management. Typically, mostly always, management was NOT impressed. But for this joker to have left four different copies with different information is proof that either it was a complete brainfreeze OR he was REALLY trying to say something to management. WHAT he might have been trying to say, I have no idea whatsoever. (said in my best Rodney Dangerfield voice)

never lied.

However, i've considered leaving stuff off my resume to get a part time job at a retail place. every place i go to get a job like that tells me i'm "overqualified" and they don't want to pay me manager-level pay. I couldn't give two fucks about that, i just want the damned job.

so i've considered leaving some education/experience details off...but i never do because i would just end up talking about it anyway. I have a big mouth! :P

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Are they really discrepencies and lies?
For my current job there were several openings for different positions, so I made a resume for each position that I was applying for. This gave me an easy way of using a lot of different areas of my work history for each particular position.

Worked for me.

Are they really discrepencies and lies?
For my current job there were several openings for different positions, so I made a resume for each position that I was applying for. This gave me an easy way of using a lot of different areas of my work history for each particular position.

Worked for me.

I understand doing that... and have done that before. These were big, not just customed resume's for a position.

g
OMG, is she okay?

Nope. I do, however, tailor my resume for the position I'm applying for. For example, my legal resume doesn't include my time as a teacher (it was pre law school), but my resume for the tutor positions I take to get extra pocket money does, but doesn't include my legal internships. Resumes are supposed to be one page, so you have to tailor them for the position. What you're looking at may not have been lies, if the positions and jobs listed weren't contradictory, just different.

As someone said, it might not be lies (unless it is obvious and contradicts itself).
I have several versions of my resume that highlight different aspects of my experience. Some jobs care more about different aspects, so under descriptions of experience, I might list different accomplishments when applying for different jobs. All of it is true though. Karma is a bitch.

It wasn't just his resume's that I found.... I'm going to have a private conversation with him - let him know he may want to remove it all off the shared drive. :D

g

OMG, is she okay?

I've never lied on mine, but as many people have said, I do have two resumes that tailor to the job I am applying too and to keep it limited to one page.

I am the same way. NEVER lie on your resume. Always tailor the resume to the job you are applying to. If it means omitting some info, fine. But don't make up facts.

George O'leary is probably one of the most famous of all resume liars. He got the head football coach job at Notre Dame University, of all places, and made up a degree or something on his resume. He was found out shortly after and promptly fired. Geez, ya think one of the biggest names in college football won't double check your resume? Fucking idiot! :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My C.V is a record of my employment, no fiction on there - that would be like lieing to myself and it would be bound to get caught out eventually.
I tend to keep it the same but tailor the covering letter for the position applied for (easier to edit than the C.V)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

my resume has

My name
Alberta Journyman welder
My phone number

Used to be thats all i had to put on one. I dont know how it would be know that things are slowing down. But i have gotten 2 phone calls this week from companies that I sent resumes to like 6 months ago so I guess things are still going ok.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Lied? No.

But I voted 'Slightly Embellished'.
Why? I was just learning some of the techniques on my resume.
Can I operate an electronmicroscope of the specific type I worked with reliably and autonomously enough to get pictures? Definately, provided there are no hiccups with the machine.
Is it likely that any other laboratory that takes itself seriously has such an antiquated POS standing around somewhere except on display? Not very. :D

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

my resume has

My name
Alberta Journyman welder
My phone number

Used to be thats all i had to put on one. I dont know how it would be know that things are slowing down. But i have gotten 2 phone calls this week from companies that I sent resumes to like 6 months ago so I guess things are still going ok.

Molten steel, one of my favorite play toys!

No, never lied or embellished as I was a welder. Usually, immediately after seeing the resume I set up the machine & laid down a bead or three. After that the very next thing asked is usually, "How soon can you start?" If that wasn't asked by the end of the interview I could count on not being called back. Only once did I get the call about 6 weeks later. Took the job, too, & stayed there for 13 years. :S
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Its kind of dumb to flat out lie on a resume about things like education and previous employers. That kind of thing is way too easy to check out, especially now. And depending on the industry- you can be subject to a pretty detailed background checks. Also, if you've been a line of work long enough, no matter where you go, you will probbaly run into someone you know or have worked with in the past.

Other things- lying about or over-stating your proficiency in a certain area, etc. - Well, chances are you won't get caught until after you are hired and can't do what you said you could. Do you really want to be that person?

It is EXTREMELY stupid to use company resources to write/update/store/send out your resume. (Unless of course, maintaining and updating your resume is actually part of your job.) If you don't have a computer at home, go to a Kinkos or the public library!

[reply He got the head football coach job at Notre Dame University, of all places......ya think one of the biggest names in college football won't double check your resume? Fucking idiot!

Where's Notre Dame University? ;) Are they the team that plays Southern California University and Michigan University every year? :D

Tim Brown said the same thing one time at the beginning of a MNF game when you introduce yourself and say what school you went to. Pretty sad that he doesn't know the name of his own school where he won a Heisman.